Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Went down to Colonial Brewing Co in Port Melbourne and tried their Porter. Not a bad drop, picked up 6 travelers for the ride home.
Yep. It's the porter i will tell people to try if they are unsure on the style., great one to get into

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
The Grifter - Serpents Kiss watermelon pilsner. this was weird af tbh, the beer itself was nothing special and the clear watermelon aftertaste was just odd. i wouldnt say it was good but i'd try it again as it did my head in a little bit tbh.
HOPE - west coast IPA - would get again, decent.
HOPE - fka mango sour - good as well. limited batch so probs wont see them again
3 Ravens - juicy NEIPA - alright. pretty inoffensive tbh. dont think i rate any 3 Ravens beers ive tried.
Nine Fingers - Smoke on the Porter nitro, idk really im only just sussing out what porters are
Barossa Brewing - Coffee Chocolate Stout - yeah not bad, lot of coffee in it. nice though.
Six String - Double Dark Red IPA - was into this, tasty

tried ton of others last month at a few breweries but honestly forgot most of them, the ones above were all in the fridge at home im slowly making my way through

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you're in Perth, new bar and bottleshop Besk is outstanding!

I went there for the F&F opening and their selection of natty wine and beer is exceptional.

I managed to pick up a couple magnums of the Wildflower 2018 collector series (which must've come from the Wildflower cellar and rare as hen's teeth); Picked up the 'WB' Pinot Noir 2018 and the St Phoebe 2018.

Also recently had the 2018 Cantillon Nath; let it sit for a bit, open up and drink around 12* and the rhubarb really shines through. Also opened up a 2016 Vignerone; outstanding and will let the other two bottles age for a number of years; the closest beer i've tried that's close to being an orange wine.

The Jester King Super Ultramega Hyperforce was interesting but failed to live up the expectation. Definitely got the salt and sweetness from the cantelope (although very little of the fruit flavour) and the tarragon was missing. Wouldn't buy again.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On a Bent Spoke roll at the moment. Especially Big Nut and their Stout.

Pretty decent gear.
Haven't been all that impressed with Bent Spoke. All okay but nothing amazing.

Had this the other day. Delicious.

images.jpeg

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
the black dog pales are ok - too hoppy for mine. the black ipa's are enjoyable.

i picked up one of those little home brew kits on sale in aldi a couple weeks ago. coopers brand. have a dozen longnecks bottled that will be ready to drink in about 5 more days. interested to see whether they are any good and whether i ****ed it up or not.

finished off the porters an stouts mentioned above over the past week as well - gotta go out and re stock the fridge now

Last edited:

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
been a bit quiet on the beer front the past few months... ordered one of those advent calendars to fix that
I’ve been buying too many beers lately, unfortunately for my wallet.

Ordered the 3Fonteinen August pack and got bent over on the proxy/shipping but looking forward to receiving it.

Also ordered a couple magnums of the Wildflower St Henry and a couple bottles of the Waratah.

Tried the Jester King Nightmare on Brett and Surette Rerserva, both we’re super delicious, a lot of funk on the nose. Nightmare on Brett in particular was bright. Their 2016 Spon was special.

La Sirene a The Beginning is the best beer I’ve tried of theirs, closely followed by the Vin Folie. I didn’t care too much for Le Funq.

Also opened up another bottle of Cantillon Rose De Gambrius. Unfortunately after drinking Cantillon, it makes you realise how far other companies have to go to make a wild ferment beer as good as theirs.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
advent calendar came yesterday. im not using it like one though just put them all in the fridge - i dont drink anywhere near close to every day just wanted to try the range of different ones they put in it.

had a Modus Operandi hazy ipa last night, bit dissapointed tbh im normally right into em

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Hey guys, this is just a little something I have organised to try and help a few local breweries through this bushfire crisis. Basically, I have just started a little Go Fund Me to inject some cash back into a few breweries that have had to close their doors during a busy tourism period. I always try to support local and drink local, and this is just a small way to potentially help out some great local businesses.

Not expecting heaps from it, but if anyone was considering on attending or purchasing beers from these breweries (Bright, Blizzard and King River in particular), in the future then this might be one way to support them through a difficult period.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Headed to Antwerp in 2 months can anyone recommend me some good Belgium beers to try? I tend to like pale ales but I also love a good novelty beer (had a honey beer with rum soaked raisins in Finland and loved it).
If you’re in Belgium, Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen and please bring me back as much as you can I’m your luggage.

Pretty, pretty please!

Had some of the extremely hard to get colab between Balter and Garrage Project the other day. Was decent enough without being outstanding.
The balter version is everywhere. The bed to get version in Aus is The Garage Project version.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m really looking forward to the Wildflower x Jester King ‘Nothing Fancy’ release this week; two of my favourite breweries.

The GABS award is an absolute joke, not one Wildflower beer making the top 100 but all the large distro, large company owned breweries taking out so many positions.

Back