2019 F1 Championship Round 13 - Belgian Grand Prix

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
After a month long mid season break (and we thought Bye Rounds were bad?) F1 action is back, and there are few better locations to resume the season. Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is one of the longest laps on the calendar at just over 7km, meaning we have a Grand Prix with only 44 laps. One of Spa's most famous corners is the Eau-Rouge section, even if its become a full speed corner in this era of cars.

A reminder on how the driving standings appear heading into the second half of the season (Top 10).
Hamilton - 250
Bottas - 188
Verstappen - 181
Vettel - 156
Leclerc - 132
Gasly - 63
Sainz - 58
Raikkonen - 31
Kyvatt - 27
Norris - 24

And the constructors
Mercedes - 438
Ferrari - 288
Red Bull - 244
McLaren - 82
Torro Rosso - 43
Renault - 39
Alfa Romeo - 32
Racing Point - 31
Haas - 26
Williams - 1

Key Mid Season break news
  • Alex Albon is driving for Red Bull Racing, swapping positions with Pierre Gasly who thoroughly underwhelmed for the top team. RBR must firmly believe that 2nd in the constructors is up for grabs.
  • Bottas is signed up for another year.
  • Vettel basically confirmed to still be at Ferrari next year alongside Leclerc.
  • Ocon will be replacing Hulkenberg at Renault.

Race Details
FP3: 8PM EST Saturday
Qualifying: 11PM EST Saturday
Race: 11.10PM EST Saturday
Laps: 44

SpaF1-07.f8790385e69917207b1a12e00b639228.png

FP2

FP1

Prediction:
Hamilton Pole and Race Win
Leclerc 2nd, Bottas 3rd for Race.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Formula 2 driver Anthoine Hubert was killed in a truly awful accident at Spa. The beginning of the crash wasn’t captured on the broadcast, but the immediate after was, with Hubert’s car shown split in to multiple parts. There’s amateur footage going around that shows the absolutely horrific hit. I was lost for words when first seeing the amateur footage, I just knew that we’d be seeing a fatality.

Rest In Peace Anthoine Hubert

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
RIP young man..... absolutely horrible.

io5w6jnhmtj31.jpg

Sometimes a little perspective is needed.

Sad weekend again for F1. Someone also posted Hamilton's reaction when he first saw the crash - he could tell it was a very bad one, lost all interest in the interview as soon as he watched it.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
It's sad and upsetting to see people on social media make jokes or snide remarks about the incident. It really is a cesspool.

R.I.P. Antoine. :'(

The F1 race tonight will be quite sombre I'd imagine.

Charles Leclerc was also close with Anthoine Hubert, I really hope he wins this race, but, far more importantly, all the drivers get to go home at the end of the race. It's just sport for our entertainment, after all.

Formula 2 driver Anthoine Hubert was killed in a truly awful accident at Spa. The beginning of the crash wasn’t captured on the broadcast, but the immediate after was, with Hubert’s car shown split in to multiple parts. There’s amateur footage going around that shows the absolutely horrific hit. I was lost for words when first seeing the amateur footage, I just knew that we’d be seeing a fatality.

Rest In Peace Anthoine Hubert

******* horrible.
Assume he was the car that went in 1st and rebounded back onto the track ?

Aug 28, 2012
South Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NE Patriots, Manchester United
******* horrible.
Assume he was the car that went in 1st and rebounded back onto the track ?
It looks as if these were the series of events

Alesi lost the rear at Eau Rouge/Radillon, hit the left tyre wall and rebounded onto the racing line, Hubert had to react to avoid hitting Alesi + Boccolacci and veered into the opposite tyre barrier at high speed, Correa went off the track to dodge the incident ahead... only to have no time to avoid Hubert's rebounding car.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Just seen the news about Hubert passing. Absolutely tragic :(
Watching the footage of the accident, it looks like Correa had a right rear puncture as well which made it even harder for him to try and avoid Hubert.

EDIT: This is probably the "best" footage of the incident explaining what happens. Obviously do not view if you are easily distressed

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SfbF9E-Av0

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Another big accident in F3, Simo Laaksonen crashed into the tyre barrier at high speeds in the final sector. Car got wedged under the tyre barrier.
Has been confirmed that he is now out of the car and is "Ok"

kbqa9mzx9yj31.png

EDIT: yeah, that car was proper wedged under there
4bb4bffe7a4d731cad1c883bef558437.gif

Really hope LEC can get the win today in what has been an overwhelmingly emotional weekend for him.

I don't think anyone would mind. First Jules, then his father, now Anthoine. Would not wish that on anyone.

Back