Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
CCJ had a pretty decent game when he played when Soldo got suspended.

Why didn't we try him more?

Reckon he could be pretty handy, Chol and Balta have both slowed right down only getting 5 odd touches a game.
I reckon the reason Chol keeps his spot even when his numbers aren't staggering is because he is extremely handy at creating an aerial contest on the wings. Previously we've been getting cut up by oppo who have strong marking types presenting through the midfield on transition. Chol with his height and athleticism makes it very hard for them to just chip it up the field and into their f50 (a tactic that worked well against us for a while there.)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon the reason Chol keeps his spot even when his numbers aren't staggering is because he is extremely handy at creating an aerial contest on the wings. Previously we've been getting cut up by oppo who have strong marking types presenting through the midfield on transition. Chol with his height and athleticism makes it very hard for them to just chip it up the field and into their f50 (a tactic that worked well against us for a while there.)
We effectively have 2 additional talls , and you’re right as we Rebounded from def 50 , teams with good intercept defenders were picking us off like fish in a barrel , if I’m honest I’m surprised we got away with such a small forward setup for so long , alas , our structure has evolved

Will be number 1 ruck in a couple of years, we built him up slowly, but necessity has seen him blossom as he has taken on more responsibility as the number 1 ruck in the VFL when Soldo replaced Nank.

Not saying he will be as good as Grundy but he does remind me of him with his ability to get involved in possession chains, win hitouts & clunk marks around the ground. Bonus is he can also hit the scoreboard when resting forward. Could form a very good 1-2 punch with someone like Chol in the future as they alternate between ruck & F50 giving us 2 athletic types who would run the bigger guys into the ground.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
CCJ had a pretty decent game when he played when Soldo got suspended.

Why didn't we try him more?

Reckon he could be pretty handy, Chol and Balta have both slowed right down only getting 5 odd touches a game.
Because we're trying not to ruin his body like Carlton did with kreuzer

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
Must keep!
Kid is only 20yo- we all know that talls and rucks in particular need 4-5 years in the system to develop and mature.
May end up being the comps best ruckman in a few years.
And Nank is only 25! have to keep reminding myself that. Got Ruck sewn up for the foreseeable future, not a bad place to be in.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
And Nank is only 25! have to keep reminding myself that. Got Ruck sewn up for the foreseeable future, not a bad place to be in.

Even though he looks 32 years old.

It will be very interesting to see how we work having so many good rucks. With Soldo coming on I reckon Nank will have to use his mobility and around the ground talent to create a complete mismatch to hold his spot.

Which then leaves CCJ with a problem - 2 acknowledged AFL rucks to break past + Chol. If he does in 2020 he's going to have shown some real ability.

Problems, problems
:p

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
It will be very interesting to see how we work having so many good rucks. With Soldo coming on I reckon Nank will have to use his mobility and around the ground talent to create a complete mismatch to hold his spot.

Which then leaves CCJ with a problem - 2 acknowledged AFL rucks to break past + Chol. If he does in 2020 he's going to have shown some real ability.

Problems, problems
:p
12 months time we might have to trade one of our premiership ruckmen.
Soldo or Nank.

12 months time we might have to trade one of our premiership ruckmen.
Soldo or Nank.

yep, I'm wondering whether 2020 or 2021 we end up trading out a genuine high grade ruck. Would be very sad. But also amazing that we created such depth in a position we have traditionally been weak at.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
yep, I'm wondering whether 2020 or 2021 we end up trading out a genuine high grade ruck. Would be very sad. But also amazing that we created such depth in a position we have traditionally been weak at.
We'd have to make sure we sign up ccj on a longer deal because those SA clubs will come sniffing before doing the unthinkable with Soldo/Nank.

JazMac

All Australian
Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Must keep!
Kid is only 20yo- we all know that talls and rucks in particular need 4-5 years in the system to develop and mature.
May end up being the comps best ruckman in a few years.
IMO talls don’t need more time to develop just because they are tall (eg Grundy). If a player is skilful and tall they will develop at the same speed as shorter players. The talls that need the extra time are those that would not get considered for AFL on ability but are brought into the system purely because they are tall (eg Soldo). These types have probably played fewer games of footy or certainly fewer games where they were expected to have any ability except to ruck or take easy grabs over smaller players - hence they need more time to pick up skills that others have already developed.

IMO talls don’t need more time to develop just because they are tall (eg Grundy). If a player is skilful and tall they will develop at the same speed as shorter players. The talls that need the extra time are those that would not get considered for AFL on ability but are brought into the system purely because they are tall (eg Soldo). These types have probably played fewer games of footy or certainly fewer games where they were expected to have any ability except to ruck or take easy grabs over smaller players - hence they need more time to pick up skills that others have already developed.
Talls is a little misleading - I should have said rucks.
It's because of the nature of ruck contests - crashing into a mature aged ruck all day is the most physical aspect of our game and this is where younger guys get exposed until their bodies harden and they learn the craft.
Virtually all ruck-men peak in their mid to late 20's IMO.

To some extent talls, in particular rucks, play the most physical role in the game. Rucks literally try to smash one another out of the game. that requires maturity in body, and more importantly maturity in mind. I reckon a lot of young rucks just aren't ready mentally for some huge monster trying to tear them apart. As teenagers they generally don't have the ability smash into one another like genuine men can. This wrestling hitting side to the game is fairly rare among most shorter players' roles.

So with Soldo (for example) pure strength and power come into play doing things that literally no one else in our team can do (Nank excluded, but he's been injured). He can push a 2 meter tall strong human aside. He can hold someone down with one hand. He can hold someone in place in a stoppage. He also fills a hole just because he is so tall even a 195 cm CHF can't just push him aside or jump over him. These are quite different 'skills' to what normal sized players bring to the game. I reckon it takes time to learn how to bring that strength and aggression time after time, at close to 100%, and to take the punishment that comes with the role. They have to be physically more mature and mentally much more mature to deal with that role.

We'd have to make sure we sign up ccj on a longer deal because those SA clubs will come sniffing before doing the unthinkable with Soldo/Nank.

I reckon they're already looking at the whole thing. Literally our oldest ruck is 25. So we will have a whole swath of quality talls for 5+ years. Whoever isn't getting a game will demand that they get a situation where they can play AFL. So for example, Chol continues to take steps and is genuine AFL quality. But Nank comes back and dominates in a duo with Soldo. Chol is absolutely worth playing AFL, but can't break past the other 2. Even ignoring CCJ's development, he will want to go somewhere he can expect to play before 5 more years are up.

The FD will be looking at this and working out the options. I suspect it will lead to a trade. Who, I have no idea. Because they are all worthy in different ways.

Back