Recommitted Rory Laird [RFA 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You really do put too much weight on awards

Laird is a very good player, but he does not command 2 x 1st rounders

He if worth a pick in the 14-17 range, depending on the depth of the draft
wow..then Charlie Curnow really is only worth a back end 1st and harry McKay might be worth a pick around 10 - see how easy that is when you want to devalue topline players

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You really do put too much weight on awards

Laird is a very good player, but he does not command 2 x 1st rounders

He if worth a pick in the 14-17 range, depending on the depth of the draft

Only three clubs have those picks so all dependant on who wants him, although I think around pick 10 is fair

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only three clubs have those picks so all dependant on who wants him, although I think around pick 10 is fair
you realise McGovern netted pick 13 (in a supposed super draft year) and a mature age player. McGovern was a 13 possession 4th forward in our structure and was nowhere near the AA squad in his entire career. Why on earth would you want to give away one of our blue chip players under contract for around the same value that McGovern left for?????

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
you realise McGovern netted pick 13 (in a supposed super draft year) and a mature age player. McGovern was a 13 possession 4th forward in our structure and was nowhere near the AA squad in his entire career. Why on earth would you want to give away one of our blue chip players under contract for around the same value that McGovern left for?????

McGivern plays the hardest position on the ground Laird plays the easiest

Marking forwards are like hens teeth HBFlankers are dime a dozen

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Interesting how you only express the total outcome, did you not contribute to the getting pick 13 by also handing over 2 x 3rd rounders, 1 to us and one to Sydney? Should we also discuss the Gibbs trade, where finally even your own supporters are now stating you paid overs?

McGovern at his best is a gamechanger/point difference, but his lack of commitment has hurt his output, but everyone would concede he still has huge upside if the penny drops, Laird will never have that impact, but he is consistent in finding the ball.

HBF'ers are generally mid size players that are unable to play as midfielders

Despite my rating, I wouldn't trade him, especially if you are hanging on to most of your older players

But, if you got better than a mid 1st as a starting point, I would do the deal

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
wow..then Charlie Curnow really is only worth a back end 1st and harry McKay might be worth a pick around 10 - see how easy that is when you want to devalue topline players

KPF's versus a HBF?

So Laird is worth more than Curnow, Hipwood, Cameron, because he is a 2 x AA?

I don't think so

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting how you only express the total outcome, did you not contribute to the getting pick 13 by also handing over 2 x 3rd rounders, 1 to us and one to Sydney? Should we also discuss the Gibbs trade, where finally even your own supporters are now stating you paid overs?

McGovern at his best is a gamechanger/point difference, but his lack of commitment has hurt his output, but everyone would concede he still has huge upside if the penny drops, Laird will never have that impact, but he is consistent in finding the ball.

HBF'ers are generally mid size players that are unable to play as midfielders

Despite my rating, I wouldn't trade him, especially if you are hanging on to most of your older players

But, if you got better than a mid 1st as a starting point, I would do the deal
I don't care less how the pick 13 and the mature ager came to the crows for McGovern.. I am only noting what the crows got for McGovern and that directly impacts the thought process for another contracted player only the contracted player talked about is a 2 x AA and one of the top possession winners in the AfL during those 2 years. The guy is a super player and when on is far more valuable than McGovern - and if rumors are true, most of the clubs in the league have enquired about him. About the only way I would countenance letting Laird go would be as part of a deal to bring Lukosius to the club and it might look like pick 3 + Laird for Lukosius and the Brisbane 1st. Other than that - he stays

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't care less how the pick 13 and the mature ager came to the crows for McGovern.. I am only noting what the crows got for McGovern and that directly impacts the thought process for another contracted player only the contracted player talked about is a 2 x AA and one of the top possession winners in the AfL during those 2 years. The guy is a super player and when on is far more valuable than McGovern - and if rumors are true, most of the clubs in the league have enquired about him. About the only way I would countenance letting Laird go would be as part of a deal to bring Lukosius to the club and it might look like pick 3 + Laird for Lukosius and the Brisbane 1st. Other than that - he stays

17 is around the mark for Laird, I would want more though.

That leaves pick 3 for Lukosius? GC would laugh at that

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well the you are undervaluing Lukosius

Interesting isn't it
WTF?? - how is pick 3 + laird for Lukosius (a 1st year player with potential) and a back end 1st undervaluing Lukosius?. Laird himself is worth vastly more than a back end 1st and would go into the GC team and instantly become one of the first picked + they get pick 3. No methinks you are showing your hatred of anything crows and it is clouding your judgement

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
WTF?? - how is pick 3 + laird for Lukosius (a 1st year player with potential) and a back end 1st undervaluing Lukosius?. Laird himself is worth vastly more than a back end 1st and would go into the GC team and instantly become one of the first picked + they get pick 3. No methinks you are showing your hatred of anything crows and it is clouding your judgement

Okay, think about the trade you proposed

Pick 3+Laird for Lukosius + pick 17

If you rate Laird around 9, that means you are only willing to offer a pick around 5 for Lukosius? A kid that was the 2nd pick in a super draft versus pick 5 in a modest, even, draft?

I don't have a hatred for the Crows, just astounds me how bias all supporter groups are (including my own) when it comes to predictions and these proposals. Pretty sure you know what my history is like, perhaps you should refresh your memory with what I thought McGovern and Gibbs were worth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

That is way overs for Luko I agree. Laird is a top tier/elite player, no question.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide

If you rate Laird around 9, that means you are only willing to offer a pick around 5 for Lukosius? A kid that was the 2nd pick in a super draft versus pick 5 in a modest, even, draft?

I don't have a hatred for the Crows, just astounds me how bias all supporter groups are (including my own) when it comes to predictions and these proposals. Pretty sure you know what my history is like, perhaps you should refresh your memory with what I thought McGovern and Gibbs were worth
Frankly, this is just stupid.

If Laird is valued at Pick 9 it becomes,

Pick 3 + Pick 9 for Lukosius and 17.
I.e an 8 Pick upgrade on 17, AND Pick 3. Not pick 5..

Honestly.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

but I am not rating laird around 9 - I am rating laird at 2 x mid 1st rounders with pick 26 going back. And I think that if a club comes calling for Laird, then that is exactly what the crows would be getting

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
but I am not rating laird around 9 - I am rating laird at 2 x mid 1st rounders with pick 26 going back. And I think that if a club comes calling for Laird, then that is exactly what the crows would be getting

So now you have completely changed the nature of the deal and valuing Laird in trade value, with what GWS got for Shiel, a midfielder?

Good luck with that

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
So now you have completely changed the nature of the deal and valuing Laird in trade value, with what GWS got for Shiel, a midfielder?

Good luck with that
luck won't be an issue because that is about his worth as a contracted dual all Australian. But I doubt it will even be an issue as I don't expect our club to even consider trading him

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
How is it way overs?

He stated pick 3 + Laird for Lukosius + pick 17

He is undervaluing both in that proposal
need I remind you what your messiah said about having to pay a premium for contracted players. Bryce gibbs is THE perfect example here..a guy that has never been in the AA team attracted 2 x 1sts with a 2nd coming back - picks 10 & 16 from memory. Laird is worth considerbly more than gibbs as a player and he is younger than gibbs when he was traded. now don't tell me you think SOS was wrong as that certainly wouldn't fit the carlton supporter narrative would it ;) :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back