Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Would transplanted + foreign + plastic be embraced by the locals?
That's before even getting into the north v south business. When half keeps supporting the Hawks...

If they had to relocate the Suns then the best bet would be to fold the club entirely beforehand and then hand the license over so in no way would a new Tassie team be associated with GC. And then the AFL would be able maintain the 18-team competition.

If Tassie does get up, what's the bet another existing team gets folded/merged to maintain 18 teams? Would he a hard sell to get Tasmanians to support a foreign identity.

Yep...Or they put in another team in to have a 20 team league....which isn't likely...Relocation and a name change would have to be on the cards. It was floated back in 2017 that North should move to Tassie and play 5 games in Hobart and 4-5 in Launceston. The AFL didn't dismiss that...In fact, they went on to say that from 2021 there would be a Tassie presence... IMO the AFL have and are giving Nth every opportunity to survive in their own right...For a cash strapped club having to pay 2 coaches next season, I'd say the writing's on the wall

Edit: Found the article.....

Surely North are relocated to Tasmania. Removing a Queensland team will not grow the game.

Agreed...The AFL isn't going to pull the pin on one of the expansion teams...they want a game every week in Rugby territory and fixture it as such..Victoria just has too many clubs to sustain the corporate $'s.

Edit: Presently part of Nths major corporate $'s is play three games a year in Hobart under a $600,000 government deal.

My bet is North Melbourne.

Yep...Or they put in another team in to have a 20 team league....which isn't likely...Relocation and a name change would have to be on the cards. It was floated back in 2017 that North should move to Tassie and play 5 games in Hobart and 4-5 in Launceston. The AFL didn't dismiss that...In fact, they went on to say that from 2021 there would be a Tassie presence... IMO the AFL have and are giving Nth every opportunity to survive in their own right...For a cash strapped club having to pay 2 coaches next season, I'd say the writing's on the wall

Surely North are relocated to Tasmania. Removing a Queensland team will not grow the game.

Hmm ... would that make every map of Australia that doesn't include Tasmania part of an AFL conspiracy?

Would they need to change their colours to say Blue, White, Bottle Green and Yellow (apparenlty the State colours for Tassie are bottle green, yellow and maroon - but they should leave the maroon bit alone)

As much as North fans can be flogs there are decent fans I'd feel badly for if there club was uprooted and moved to Tasmania - but then it happened to Fitzroy and South Melbourne. Sometime tradition and history don't mean much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God, that thread is the ultimate meltdown. Rivals a Vs North Gameday thread. I'm sure the same comments could be made about Brisbane as well, but the question was likely not directed towards us since there's significantly more rabble from ignorance about GC relocating to Tasmania instead of the Lions.

Such an irrational reaction on the Suns board.

Is he meant to lie and say the Gold Coast is an AFL cultural Mecca? It’s not.

It’s clearly a reason why frontier clubs struggle with retention. Some players crave being in the bubble.

It was a comment on the market, not a shot at the actual club (something McKenna was happy to do).

I’m sure Fages will be despairing to hear that Mr Bods is angry at him though. Bodsy is permanently angry about something or other... so it may as well be Fages this week. A chip the size of a blue whale on his shoulder.

They're getting their knickers in a twist because they think he was comparing Gold Coast's footy culture to Brisbane's... he was clearly wearing his Tassie hat in that article whilst being interviewed about Tassie football by a Tasmanian journalist.

And I don't think he'd disagree if someone said that a Tasmanian team would have retention issues because for someone coming from a big city like Melbourne or Sydney it can be quite a shock, but not a bad one once you get used to it. I have no doubt some players would just want to be in a city/town where people love their footy. And Hobart or Launceston aren't short of those people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back