Recommitted Rory Laird [RFA 2021]

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
need I remind you what your messiah said about having to pay a premium for contracted players. Bryce gibbs is THE perfect example here..a guy that has never been in the AA team attracted 2 x 1sts with a 2nd coming back - picks 10 & 16 from memory. Laird is worth considerbly more than gibbs as a player and he is younger than gibbs when he was traded. now don't tell me you think SOS was wrong as that certainly wouldn't fit the carlton supporter narrative would it ;) :p

We all know you paid overs for Gibbs

Laird is not worth the same currency as Shiel or Neale

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
AA non key defenders (ish):

2019: Stewart, Houli, Grimes, Hurn
2018: Laird, Whitfield
2017: Hibberd, Docherty
2016: Enright, Shaw Rampe
2015: Gibson, Murphy, Wood

How many of these guys are worth 2 first round picks? You can rule out Houli, Hurn, Shaw due to age and Gibson, Enright, Murphy due to being retired. I would say just Whitfield, and he is a damaging wingman/midfielder who plays at half back sometimes. Stewart and Docherty (two years out injured would affect his price) are handy mid sized defenders and Grimes fights up a division when he has to also, but I don't see any club offering a Shiel/Treloar type deal for these guys. It's just not a position that attracts a premium. Hibberd was traded at 26 years old (after the WADA-ASADA thing) for pick 29. I would not be trading Laird if I were the Crows.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Brisbane Receive: Rory Laird and 2020 3rd Round Pick.

Adelaide Receive: Pick 15 and Mitchell Hinge.

Hinge has played two games looked decent
For the lions. Is a local SA Boy. Could be good.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
why are you ..i'll quote 'really hoping' I am not trying to make a case that a contracted 2 x AA ball magnet defender is not worth 2 x 1st rounders. Your club was stupid enough to cough up 2 x 1st rounders for a 3rd tall intercept player. So, a contracted 2 x AA ball winning defender is worth more than a guy that will never be a KPP and has not made the AA team

Your case is laughable. Laird isn’t worth more than Lever was at the time and if Laird does indeed get traded, I can guarantee it won’t be for more than what Lever went for. So essentially, no. He is not worth more.

Also, if you’d have bother to checked... I’m actually a Lions supporter, not a Melbourne one.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We all know you paid overs for Gibbs

Laird is not worth the same currency as Shiel or Neale
SOS disagrees - he thinks you have to pay a premium for contracted players and your board thinks the sun shines out of his you know what. Reid thinks the same in that way - see Lever (oops, my bad, Lever was out of contract and attracted 2 x 1st rounders)

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Your case is laughable. Laird isn’t worth more than Lever was at the time and if Laird does indeed get traded, I can guarantee it won’t be for more than what Lever went for. So essentially, no. He is not worth more.

Also, if you’d have bother to checked... I’m actually a Lions supporter, not a Melbourne one.
my case is laughable? - now I have heard it all. So you are comparing out of contract players with in contract players - come again - who is laughable. BTW, do you have any idea what an out of contract Lever WAS traded for?? - it was 2 x 1st round picks with a 2nd rounder coming back hahahah.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Okay, if you really want to discuss it, please tell me how Reid got overs for one of the players that wanted out
really - you know he aced it with Lever and McGovern. He also got pick 12 for Charlie Cameron when EVERYONE was saying pick 19 will get it done (although Charlie has gone to another level now which at the time was doubtful he could become as consistent as he has done) and since he is still in his role, good luck to anyone trying to pry out Laird

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Receive: Rory Laird and 2020 3rd Round Pick.

Adelaide Receive: Pick 15 and Mitchell Hinge.

Hinge has played two games looked decent
For the lions. Is a local SA Boy. Could be good.
I'd take it for the Lions, but realistically the latter pick would be going the other way because Laird is contracted. That usually attracts a premium. I can see Adelaide demanding more also, we paid full price for Charlie at the time (though it's a bargain in hindsight) as did Melbourne for Lever (and I'm not getting dragged into that discussion any further).

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I think the two firsts are reserved for your Judd, Treloar and Lever types.

Whilst Laird is elite at his position, he just doesn’t have the same sort of worth as those guys do.

Different positions but I rate him higher than Lever. All Australian, ball magnet, generally a decent user, courageous. I believe he wants more midfield minutes as well but doesn't get it with Sloane and the Crouches unable to play anywhere else.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Different positions but I rate him higher than Lever. All Australian, ball magnet, generally a decent user, courageous. I believe he wants more midfield minutes as well but doesn't get it with Sloane and the Crouches unable to play anywhere else.
makes me nervous when the hawks / hawks supporters start praising your players o_O

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
really - you know he aced it with Lever and McGovern. He also got pick 12 for Charlie Cameron when EVERYONE was saying pick 19 will get it done (although Charlie has gone to another level now which at the time was doubtful he could become as consistent as he has done) and since he is still in his role, good luck to anyone trying to pry out Laird

Lever you got a mid 1st and a late 1st, ironically you gave us that pick and we took Stocker. That trade wasn't overs, it was market value for a 21 year old who will be a very good player

McGovern was what I predicted at the time, which you know, that too market value

You did well with Cameron, slight overs I agree, but nothing outrageous and his form suggests you now got unders, but that's hindsight

So I will suggest/predict for the last time, if you trade out Laird, his total value is a pick in the 14-17 range

People in glass houses and all that...Melbourne are in no position to hang sh*t on other clubs, lol
how exactly am I hanging s**t on anyone?

Reports keep floating about heaps of clubs looking at trying to poach Adelaide players and not just the old ones such as Laird & Crouch.

Add to the fact the rumblings coming out of Adelaide and it legit seems something is unsettling the team.

Melbourne had a s**t year, I am well aware of that but there isn't the same noise about our top players potentially looking at leaving

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
how exactly am I hanging s**t on anyone?

Reports keep floating about heaps of clubs looking at trying to poach Adelaide players and not just the old ones such as Laird & Crouch.

Add to the fact the rumblings coming out of Adelaide and it legit seems something is unsettling the team.

Melbourne had a s**t year, I am well aware of that but there isn't the same noise about our top players potentially looking at leaving

Nah that's fair enough. My comment was just a throwaway one, a bit of dry humour given your 'something is seriously f'ed up there at the moment', comment.' Obviously the same could be said after your year, hence the 'people in glass houses and all that, comment from me.' Apologies if it seemed offensive

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lever you got a mid 1st and a late 1st, ironically you gave us that pick and we took Stocker. That trade wasn't overs, it was market value for a 21 year old who will be a very good player

McGovern was what I predicted at the time, which you know, that too market value

You did well with Cameron, slight overs I agree, but nothing outrageous and his form suggests you now got unders, but that's hindsight

So I will suggest/predict for the last time, if you trade out Laird, his total value is a pick in the 14-17 range
not what I remember - you were saying 2nd rounder and I said a top 10 pick. I recall you admitting I hit closer to the mark

I agree Cameron looks like a steal for Brisbane now - hindsight:(

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
my case is laughable? - now I have heard it all. So you are comparing out of contract players with in contract players - come again - who is laughable. BTW, do you have any idea what an out of contract Lever WAS traded for?? - it was 2 x 1st round picks with a 2nd rounder coming back hahahah.

Do you really think contracts mean all that great of a deal nowadays? Clubs just about always get fair value these days whether they are contracted or not. Especially with Free Agency coming into things.

Well aware for what Lever went for. Clutching at straws.

Back