• No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

PAFC27

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tom answered my text I sent into SEN1629 this afternoon.

"TOM, What makes the co-captaincy a better model than the sole captaincy? What positive effect has it had? How have things improved?"

TJ - "Ollie's got strengths and weaknesses, and so have I, and we feel like they compliment us well and we're both at different stages of our career...and we felt that that (um) we have great coverage of the group and, y'know have great connection. And yes the result was basically the same as the previous year under Boaky but - y'know there's a lot of factors that go into that. Not just the captaincy, and I know it is a very important and privileged role."

While I appreciate Tom's response - and not every voice can be heard. Had I had a chance to follow up with a question it'd be:

What the * are you talking about AND

"TOM, What makes the co-captaincy a better model than the sole captaincy? What positive effect has it had? How have things improved?"

The whole club is a scrambled mess right now. The factions C4 refers to are reflected here, last week we hear from KT that co-captains are being reconsidered, today we hear from Jonas that they're being retained.

Which is it?

Do these guys even talk to each other?

Is it too much to ask for some consistency?

And in any event I shouldn't have to log onto bigfooty and hear a summary of a radio interview from a random player to gain information on this extraordinarily important topic. In any professional industry, the correct response to questioning would be a variation on "we are considering all elements of *controversial topic* and will revert when a final decision is made". Once it's been made, announce through official channels, preferably with the key figureheads present to give a united front. Instead we get various levels of the club reporting conflicting stories on a range of media.

Just a mess.

PAFC27

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I went digging myself regarding press conferences from Port Adelaide leaders (excluding radio gigs which are all about personal $).

Travis Boak and Tom Rockliff take more than double the press appearances our co-captains Ollie Wines and Tom Jonas do. OUR CO-CAPTAINS.

TRAVIS BOAK ALONE SURPASSES BOTH OUR
"co-captains"

If you subtract the fact the co-captaincy announcement and the other is a joint press conference, and we may as well add both showdowns to that as they don't have a choice...then;

Jonas and Wines press conferences - 5
Boak and Rockliff - 14
Boak - 9
Rockliff - 5

Tom Jonas press conferences -
February 21st (co-captaincy announcement - joint with Wines and Hinkley)
March 3th (charity)
July 1st (showdown)
July 24th
August 25th (joint with Wines, post game)

Ollie Wines press conferences -
February 21st (co-captaincy announcement - joint with Jonas and Hinkley)
April 29th (post game)
May 6th (showdown)
June 7th
August 14th
August 25th (joint with Jonas, post game)

Travis Boak press conferences -
March 19th
March 27th (PTV)
April 26th (post game)
May 1st
May 14th (PTV special)
May 21st 7news - Boak meets baby Boak
May 31st
June 2nd (with Hinkley)
August 20th

Tom Rockliff press conferences -
February 13th
March 23rd (post match)
March 27th
April 2nd
July 31st
(ALL collected from Google Advanced search to 2019 with their individual names as keywords. *may be subject to error)

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Out of curiosity what's the objection to the co-captaincy? Is it just because of tradition?

Noticed a pretty strong negative sentiment towards it on here, but can't really understand why. Surely it can't be blamed for Port missing finals?

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out of curiosity what's the objection to the co-captaincy? Is it just because of tradition?

Noticed a pretty strong negative sentiment towards it on here, but can't really understand why. Surely it can't be blamed for Port missing finals?
We are a club with a long history and traditions, the current muppets running the club are pissing our club down the toilet.
We are not a created franchise we are a club, having one captain is part of who we are.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Because it is a CRAP idea, that has zero benefit above the Captain/Vice-Captain model. Do you see joint Head-Coaches anywhere? Joint-CEOs? How about joint Chairmen?

Its bullcrap mate ... a solid cop out. Yes we are a club steeped in tradition, and the One-Captain tradition is a long one. A tradition that has merit!

Damningly, knowing that it was going to be an extremely unpopular move, the club sold it to the members on a lie! So it has become the embodiment of this disastrous season.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
We are a club with a long history and traditions, the current muppets running the club are pi**ing our club down the toilet.
We are not a created franchise we are a club, having one captain is part of who we are.
Because it is a CRAP idea, that has zero benefit above the Captain/Vice-Captain model. Do you see joint Head-Coaches anywhere? Joint-CEOs? How about joint Chairmen?

Its bullcrap mate ... a solid cop out. Yes we are a club steeped in tradition, and the One-Captain tradition is a long one. A tradition that has merit!

Damningly, knowing that it was going to be an extremely unpopular move, the club sold it to the members on a lie! So it has become the embodiment of this disastrous season.

Cheers for response.

Interesting, apart from tradition it appears to just be yet another decision to add to the resentment against the blokes currently in charge, accumulation of a number of things over a number of years. And fair enough.

It's just interesting to me because Carlton is obviously a long standing founding club as well, and Cripps/Docherty were our first co-captains in history also at the start of 2019, but Carlton supporters don't really care. It never really gets mentioned. I guess we don't have the same resentment to the guys in charge though, they are mostly new and so far, appear to be slowly getting us back on the right path. Probably helps that we like both Cripps & Docherty and think they are both strong leaders.

Cheers for response.

Interesting, apart from tradition it appears to just be yet another decision to add to the resentment against the blokes currently in charge, accumulation of a number of things over a number of years. And fair enough.

It's just interesting to me because Carlton is obviously a long standing founding club as well, and Cripps/Docherty were our first co-captains in history also at the start of 2019, but Carlton supporters don't really care. It never really gets mentioned. I guess we don't have the same resentment to the guys in charge though, they are mostly new and so far, appear to be slowly getting us back on the right path. Probably helps that we like both Cripps & Docherty and think they are both strong leaders.

Having a sole captain isn't necessarily a Port Adelaide tradition over and above any other club. The tradition is the captain wearing the #1 guernsey. This dates back over 60 years. There are many posters on here (myself included) who up until this year had never been alive to see anything but the PAFC captain wearing the #1.

And it's not so much that the co-captaincy made things worse, or that it's to blame for our failures this year. The problem is that there was absolutely no tangible benefit. And when the club irreversibly tears up decades worth of history and tradition on a whim, we as a supporter base quite rightly expect more of a positive return on that than 'well, it didn't do much good but I guess it didn't make us any worse?'

And the fact that Jonas had his worst season since 2015 and Wines had his worst season ever certainly didn't help matters. Nor does the fact that both have rubbed supporters the wrong way with some of their off-field words and actions indicating that they're not quite the focused and committed leaders that we expect them to be.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cheers for response.

In order to compete in this league we had to sacrifice a lot, too much in fact. We’re the only professional sports team in the world that can’t choose its own clothes ffs. But the captain wearing #1 was something that we could carry over from the old days and it was just one of those special (trademark?) things that rang true.

So people are annoyed because we sacrificed yet another tradition, willingly this time, for literally zero benefit. It’s not the reason we missed finals, we’ve been doing that just fine with a sole captain for years now, but in no world was it ever going to lead to “mo wins” as sold to us by the administration.

Carlton hasn’t had to make any sacrifices of this nature so it’s hard to compare I think.

In order to compete in this league we had to sacrifice a lot, too much in fact. We’re the only professional sports team in the world that can’t choose its own clothes ffs. But the captain wearing #1 was something that we could carry over from the old days and it was just one of those special (trademark?) things that rang true.

So people are annoyed because we sacrificed yet another tradition, willingly this time, for literally zero benefit. It’s not the reason we missed finals, we’ve been doing that just fine with a sole captain for years now, but in no world was it ever going to lead to “mo wins” as sold to us by the administration.

Carlton hasn’t had to make any sacrifices of this nature so it’s hard to compare I think.

F_therest, for an example, imagine if Carlton rocked up next season without the trademark CFC monogram on the front of their guernsey.

It wouldn't fundamentally change anything about the football club. It wouldn't make any tangible difference to winning or losing games. But you can bet that it would piss a lot of people off, wouldn't it?

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
F_therest, for an example, imagine if Carlton rocked up next season without the trademark CFC monogram on the front of their guernsey.

It wouldn't fundamentally change anything about the football club. It wouldn't make any tangible difference to winning or losing games. But you can bet that it would piss a lot of people off, wouldn't it?

Sydney doesn’t have a monogram and just look at them go!

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

To add a bit to what others have posted, I can understand people outside of the PAFC being confused but you have to be a long standing Port supporter to fully understand the emotion attached to it.

The PAFC has a proud history in SA including 36 Premierships and we tend to cling to that part of our past even though we realise that we are now playing in the AFL. We feel that if clubs like Carlton are able to retain their VFL history we should be able to hang on to some of our SANFL history. In this respect Port is unique because unlike the other interstate clubs Port has a rich pre AFL history. Clubs like the Crows, GWS, Gold Coast and West Coast did not exist before the AFL was formed so they are not in our position. As part of our pre AFL history Port had one Captain for 149 years and for the last fifty years that Captain wore the no1 guernsey and many of us saw that as a means of retaining ties to part of our pre AFL tradition.

The emotion in the situation is compounded by the fact that the people who are seen to have thrown 149 years of tradition out of the window were never around the Club in our pre AFL days. People like Hinkley, Thomas, Jonas, Wines and even Koch, none of who were at the Club pre AFL days, all pay lip service to our history and tradition then proceed to throw part of it out the window. The only reason we have been given for destroying 149 years of tradition is that it would improve our on field success and that has not happened.

No one is saying that we missed the finals because we chucked 149 years of history out the window but many are saying we did not improve despite doing it and despite being told we would benefit from doing it. When you play around with the emotions associated with history and tradition you do not get the luxury of being wrong, you have to get it right and these guys got it wrong.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back