VFL Footscray vs Williamstown 2nd qualifying final

Remove this Banner Ad

I just got back from watching this. No AFL this weekend, but like many Dogs supporters, my craving to watch was as high as ever, so thought I'd check out Footscray.

One thing watching this game made me appreciate was the umpiring at AFL level. I know they get a lot of flack, but after seeing just how bad the umps were today, paying like 7+ soft 50s and rewarding every duck, it goes to show the top level umpires understand the importance of the flow of the game.

For us, pretty much no standouts. Trengove was pretty good and I still think he should play against GWS. Roark was solid. I like Sweet in the ruck. Everyone else was a bit meh. I don't see the hype with Reuben William, he was pretty bad imo.

My observations from the outer wing:
Williamstown is clearly our nemesis, particularly in wind affected conditions. That's why we rarely beat them at Williamstown. They are expert in bottling up our running game because they are very hard at the football, apply pressure and create lots of stoppages.
Yes, there were a few dodgy umpiring decisions that gifted a few goals to them but that wasn't the reason we lost. Firstly, we had too many small forwards who couldn't take marks and were not physically strong enough to keep the ball in our 50 metre zone. We were also beaten around the packs for most of the afternoon by slightly more desperate Willi mids. We made some very dumb decisions, none more so than Ruben Williams' attempt in the final quarter to run around opponents when a set shot for goal was certainly within range.
I thought our rucks were disappointing, old man Meese was able to work his way to the front of countless throw-ins and push the ball in the direction of his mids too often. Sweet got plenty of hitouts but few of these were to advantage.
Concerned for Cavarra, someone of his size needs to be more damaging at ground level because he's not going to give much in the air. Don't see an AFL player in him.
Standouts in a disappointing team effort were: R Smith, who was strong down back and on the wing; L Young who intercepted well all day: Roberts for his ability to punch the ball defensively and kick well to team mates but the rest were inconsistent.
Gowers did some silly stuff which undermined his effectiveness. Webb has reached his peak which is a good VFL player. Lynch is lucky he has another year on his contract.
Well done to Willi, I'm always in admiration of this team which continues to be successful as a stand-alone club. As for us, we live to fight another day but we need to find a spark or it could be straight sets.

Just our forward line needs tweaking next week. Can’t have William as our FF. Far too small. Need to change it up a bit. Should’ve put Roberts forward today. Not a great coaching job by Gia today, but he has been great all year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jZKkUn1.png

CLazjAB.png

Why are we playing away each week when we finished second on the ladder?

Only the first week of the finals is played at the top 2 home ground, rest of finals are played at Port Melbourne (excluding GF)

Only the first week of the finals is played at the top 2 home ground, rest of finals are played at Port Melbourne (excluding GF)

Yeah and it’s a bloody joke. I just fail to see the attraction of Port Melbourne’s ground every year. They should start playing more finals at Ikon Park. It’s a true Neutral ground. Unless of course Northern Blues play

Why are we playing away each week when we finished second on the ladder?
Port Melbourne's ground is the MCG of the VFL competition, every young player dreams of running the
pristine expanses of the Port Melbourne ground followed by a quick trip to the South Melbourne
market for some home made steamed dim sims with sauce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back