Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Well yes it is, you said our biggest problem would get worse with Langdon on the wing so one would imagine our biggest problem getting even worse makes us a worse side.
Our biggest problem isn’t fixed by having a winger for the sake of having one when our garbage kicking inside 50 is why our lack of good outside players is such an issue. Langdon is one of the worst at it in the comp, it’s not going to be the right role for him to play for us.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Our biggest problem isn’t fixed by having a winger for the sake of having one when our garbage kicking inside 50 is why our lack of good outside players is such an issue. Langdon is one of the worst at it in the comp, it’s not going to be the right role for him to play for us.
Yeah I'm kinda on the fence with Langdon. If ANB was given the freedom outside that he gets I'm not certain he couldn't do a similar job

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We don't play with wingers and we don't attack the wings. Langdon is an aerobic beast who was rated one of the worst kicks in the AFL by champion data. 80% of his kicks were turnovers going inside 50. All that happens is he is allowed to play exclusively outside at the dockers.

We don't play with wingers and we don't attack the wings. Langdon is an aerobic beast who was rated one of the worst kicks in the AFL by champion data. 80% of his kicks were turnovers going inside 50. All that happens is he is allowed to play exclusively outside at the dockers.
Look at the Freo v Essendon game. Hill (who just had an off night, is normally a good user going inside 50) and Langdon released to the outside. Massive possession numbers, massive turnovers, Essendon never looked like losing. Langdon alone isn't somehow going to be a panacea to our midfield mix. IMO would be much more suited to bringing his big pressure game and groundball ability and run and carry to our back half.

Last edited:

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah I'm kinda on the fence with Langdon. If ANB was given the freedom outside that he gets I'm not certain he couldn't do a similar job
The sort of job you have to take to the small claims tribunal to see if you can get you money back

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

FFS mate ANB shits himself under little pressure and fumbles the ball, the guy doesn't even get basic skills right.

Look at the Freo v Essendon game. Hill (who just had an off night, is normally a good user going inside 50) and Langdon released to the outside. Massive possession numbers, massive turnovers, Essendon never looked like losing. Langdon alone isn't somehow going to be a panacea to our midfield mix. IMO would be much more suited to bringing his big pressure game and groundball ability and run and carry to our back half.

I don't think Langdon is going to suddenly make us into a finals side but he absolutely improves us on the spread.

FFS mate ANB s**ts himself under little pressure and fumbles the ball, the guy doesn't even get basic skills right.

I don't think Langdon is going to suddenly make us into a finals side but he absolutely improves us on the spread.
We aren’t coached to spread. If the coaches change the game plan because we get Langdon I’ll be happy to see some results.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Unpopular football opinion;

Max Gawns season was overrated and he was fortunate to be selected in the AA.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Still remember his game against the Cats down at Geelong in 2015 when we finally broke the hoodoo, not certain it was his breakout game, but the first I saw that made me think how good he could and would be.

Champion, just wish we’d had a better year as a club to compliment him.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He had a great year. He's a 208 cm tap ruck who can get around the ground and has excellent skills for a big ma(r)n. He's genuinely one of our better field kicks, which is more of an indictment on the rest of the side. He can make the game look ridiculously easy at times but is prone to the odd clanger and shank - if anything I think his season is underrated. If our mids had been in better form / more dominant, I'm sure people would be raving about the season he just had. His tap work could have been better but the people on the end of it were just as much if not more at fault.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Still remember his game against the Cats down at Geelong in 2015 when we finally broke the hoodoo, not certain it was his breakout game, but the first I saw that made me think how good he could and would be.

Champion, just wish we’d had a better year as a club to compliment him.

What I loved in that game was his contested marking. His marking this year was very poor. The giants game at the G was the only time I remember him taking some big marks.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
What I loved in that game was his contested marking. His marking this year was very poor. The giants game at the G was the only time I remember him taking some big marks.
Yeah. He deserves credit for working his arse off but some of those games like Queen’s Birthday were really stat padding. He’s far more effective when he takes intercept marks or rocks forward to take a contested grab.

What? He took the sixth most contested marks in the comp this season and his intercept marking went to another level.

Back