Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah thats crap.
Melb v gold coast.melb win as we are s**t. So they get rewarded with pick 1?
Well it is supposed to be an unpopular opinion

Maybe you could leave 17 and 18 out of it and have 9th to 16th play off?

Why? what's wrong with how it currently works?

Gold Coast was always going to struggle this year. Melbourne were pretty consistently terrible all year (it's not like the Dees were 5-8 or something and then decided not to try for the rest of the year: their first month was diabolical, which is fairly early for a pre-season top four fancy to put the cue in the rack): everyone else seemed to be pretty competitive for the most part: finished strongly, had a lot of close games, plagued by unavailability of star players... that sort of thing.

The top 10 order is pretty much exactly the order of how desperately teams need an impact player with their first pick this year as I see it: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Carlton (Adelaide), Sydney, St Kilda, Fremantle, North Melbourne, Adelaide (Carlton), Port Adelaide, Hawthorn.

Furthermore, I think you have to go back to before the recent expansion clubs to find a team that genuinely seemed to be dogging it for the #1 pick or a priority pick. Since the very early days of the Giants and Suns, it's been 2019: Gold Coast, 2018: Carlton, 2017: Brisbane, 2016: Essendon, 2015: Carlton, 2014: St Kilda.

Given how many threads have been started over the years looking for ways to fix tanking, I'd say my unpopular opinion is that the draft is fine and doesn't need any fixing.

The Coleman medal should be awarded after the Grand Final. If your team didn’t make the finals, stiff s**t.
At first I thought this was silly, then I thought about it for a while. It sounds fair and reasonable and would make it more interesting with incentive for team success to achieve individual success.

The current system works, but would be pretty cool if they changed it to this.

Every team (including bottom sides Carlton and Gold Coast) should be given at least one Friday night match every year. In the case of Gold Coast especially, their supporter base will never grow when they're stuck playing in rubbish timeslots on Foxtel every week. Every team deserves the chance to be exposed to a national audience, and the matchups can be tailored so they're still interesting (QClash for the Suns, Carlton vs Collingwood etc.)

Found out the there were zero suns games on Victorian free to air tv this year,

Not surprising I guess but explains to some degree why don’t know s**t about us.

The problem for us is the best games to attend for locals are the twilight ones.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah thats crap.
Melb v gold coast.melb win as we are s**t. So they get rewarded with pick 1?
I actually agree with your reasoning
Perhaps each "place challenge" game could only happen when the pair of teams are within 1 game & a certain percentage of each other?
It would certainly add some interest to some dead rubbers in the final round, but would also give us footy fans some AFL on that weekend.

The Coleman medal should be awarded after the Grand Final. If your team didn’t make the finals, stiff s**t.
If that is to be the case, would make sense to keep taking votes for the Brownlow, coaches award and allow final performances to count towards AA and Rising Star.

I like Chris Scott. He can be a pain, but not everyone can be likeable and agreeable. I also genuinely think he's intelligent, he's made reference to a couple of ideas/concepts that one can't attain without actually reading decent books.

Such as? (genuinely interested as I try to avoid any footy media outside the actual games themselves)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes they are. That's the point.

I think if the crowds in general were actually interested in making themselves seem slightly informed rather than a mob of Neanderthals, they'd focus their booing on, say, an opposition tagger.

People who still claim that the booing of Goodes was not racist are missing the point. I honestly don't think a lot of people actually knew why they were booing Goodes and were just doing it because everyone else was and because he was Sydney's most recognisable player, along with Buddy. The point is that it's how he took it and that it genuinely affected his mental wellbeing and that when it gets to that stage, it's probably time to stop.

I was actually quite proud to be part of the Geelong crowd in his comeback game, where there was little, if any, booing... I was bracing for a bad response by the crowd, but they were pretty good.

I took my missus to her first game
I think if the crowds in general were actually interested in making themselves seem slightly informed rather than a mob of Neanderthals, they'd focus their booing on, say, an opposition tagger.

People who still claim that the booing of Goodes was not racist are missing the point. I honestly don't think a lot of people actually knew why they were booing Goodes and were just doing it because everyone else was and because he was Sydney's most recognisable player, along with Buddy. The point is that it's how he took it and that it genuinely affected his mental wellbeing and that when it gets to that stage, it's probably time to stop.

I was actually quite proud to be part of the Geelong crowd in his comeback game, where there was little, if any, booing... I was bracing for a bad response by the crowd, but they were pretty good.
I\I took my missus to her first game of AFL that game and she was surprised how the crowd were so respectful espec after all the media articles about the booing. I think Goodes acknowledged that respect he received when when he was going off the ground

Aren't both of these things saying to target an individual with booing, but one is "good" and one is "bad"? What if Matt de Boer didn't like being booed?

Aren't both of these things saying to target an individual with booing, but one is "good" and one is "bad"? What if Matt de Boer didn't like being booed?

If it can be construed by the recipient to be racist abuse, it's not OK. Pretty simple to see where the line is, I would have thought.

Crowley used to get booed a bit and took it as a badge of honour, as most taggers presumably would. You have to be pretty good at it for the opposition supporters to notice you.

If it can be construed by the recipient to be racist abuse, it's not OK. Pretty simple to see where the line is, I would have thought.

Crowley used to get booed a bit and took it as a badge of honour, as most taggers presumably would. You have to be pretty good at it for the opposition supporters to notice you.

I kind of agree with this, but also kind of don't. Why do you draw the line at inferred racist booing? For example, if a player suffers depression and is getting booed, and comes out and says the booing is having a highly detrimental effect on his mental wellbeing, I think it would be just as shitty to continue booing him.

But that opens up a can of worms - if we are saying you shouldn't boo certain players because it affects them too severely, why wouldn't any player that is being booed claim that and get the booers off his back?

I hated the booing of Goodes - it was essentially widescale bullying - but I don't think it's as easy as saying racist booing = not ok; any other booing = ok.

I like Chris Scott. He can be a pain, but not everyone can be likeable and agreeable. I also genuinely think he's intelligent, he's made reference to a couple of ideas/concepts that one can't attain without actually reading decent books.

People dislike Scott because he is seen as a complainer and arrogant? (I get the complaining bit but not really the arrogance.) Do people not think of him as intelligent? I didn’t think that was a thing.

I kind of agree with this, but also kind of don't. Why do you draw the line at inferred racist booing? For example, if a player suffers depression and is getting booed, and comes out and says the booing is having a highly detrimental effect on his mental wellbeing, I think it would be just as s**tty to continue booing him.

But that opens up a can of worms - if we are saying you shouldn't boo certain players because it affects them too severely, why wouldn't any player that is being booed claim that and get the booers off his back?

I hated the booing of Goodes - it was essentially widescale bullying - but I don't think it's as easy as saying racist booing = not ok; any other booing = ok.

As with racial abuse, it comes down to how the recipient interprets it; what the speaker intended is largely irrelevant. People may be ignorant to the racial overtones of a seemingly harmless phrase, they may not automatically identify a colleague as being part of a cultural group, they may even feel that they have been misunderstood. Doesn't really matter. If someone's taken offence and made it clear that they've taken offence, you apologise and stop using those terms. Unless you're a jerk.

But people tend to not like to admit fault especially not fault based on ignorance. When that situation presents, people seem to want to double down which is what happened with Goodes. That the booing really became pronounced shortly after some major racist incidents involving a young Collingwood supporter and Eddie McGuire may have been a coincidence. But I could completely understand why Goodes would think that it wasn't.

Let's leave race aside for a moment and just focus on whether it could simply be considered bullying. Was it targeted from the first bounce (before the player had a chance to do anything)? Was it apparent that the player was being singled out? Had this occurred in the past? Had club/league officials come out publicly to say that the behaviour was causing the player significant distress and to urge supporters to cut it out? Were there any mitigating circumstances (player against his former club, left on bad terms etc.)? Once you weigh it all up, is it reasonable behaviour? With Goodes, for a number of reasons, I'd say it wasn't.

Not sure if these have been raised but,

Limit interchanges to 4-8 per qtr
Eviscerate the below the knees free
Eviscerate the studs in back free
Eviscerate the so called holding the ball free when a player who gets the ball, is gang tackled within a second with oppo players holding the ball into them
Establish a Tasmanian team
Eviscerate the gold coast, is the black hole of Australian professional sport.

Not sure if these have been raised but,

Limit interchanges to 4-8 per qtr
Eviscerate the below the knees free
Eviscerate the studs in back free
Eviscerate the so called holding the ball free when a player who gets the ball, is gang tackled within a second with oppo players holding the ball into them
Establish a Tasmanian team
Eviscerate the gold coast, is the black hole of Australian professional sport.
90% of those aren't unpopular opinions.

People dislike Scott because he is seen as a complainer and arrogant? (I get the complaining bit but not really the arrogance.) Do people not think of him as intelligent? I didn’t think that was a thing.
I dont think theres a limit to the reasons people dont like Chris Scott. One of the least likable football people out there. A sook and absolutely arrogant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back