Preview Second Elimination Final – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday 7th September 2019, Giants Stadium, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Just watched Access all areas and I agree that 100% the key to this game is Himmleburg, Cameron and Finlayson all playing and playing well.

The last loss is still in our minds, however only himmleburg from memory played that one.

The dogs defence is their on vulnerable area in my opinion, and that's only a slight vulnerability at that

If deboar can clamp hard on the bont and all three talls hit the scoreboard, giants will win

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed. In the collingwood game we exploited their lack of tall match ups by isolating a big forward one out. Collingwood didnt have the tall cattle to combat it and the support did not get back fast enough because the forward entry was so fast.

Here is hoping we can exploit their lack of tall defenders

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Just watched Access all areas and I agree that 100% the key to this game is Himmleburg, Cameron and Finlayson all playing and playing well.

The last loss is still in our minds, however only himmleburg from memory played that one.

The dogs defence is their on vulnerable area in my opinion, and that's only a slight vulnerability at that

If deboar can clamp hard on the bont and all three talls hit the scoreboard, giants will win

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We were missing both Jeremy's in Round 22, which certainly threw our structure out, but we handled it weIl until half time.

We won't have that problem on Saturday, but we still need to understand why they got on top so easily in the second half.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
We will need to be loud as a crowd on the weekend

Dogs fans won’t have the same numbers (I hope) but will try drown us out like in 2016. I couldn’t attend in 2016 as it fell on my bucks night but will be this year and envisage seriously loud support

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
We were missing both Jeremy's in Round 22, which certainly threw our structure out, but we handled it weIl until half time.

We won't have that problem on Saturday, but we still need to understand why they got on top so easily in the second half.
MDB was returning in his 1st game back as well. Will be better for the hit out.

Getting more confident as the fortnight is going on.

Better half coming and a childless weekend(feels weird).

As for those inbred, cowardly, nameless, fleabags.

Payback is a bitch and so are they.

Interesting that a club that changed it's name for money using focus groups and no fan engagement came up with that garbage banner.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
And now for some bad news.

Track work

Buses replace trains between

Suburban

-Emu Plains and Blacktown

- From the city to the Airport. But not the Airport to the city (it's weird yes I know)

Interurban

- Lithgow and Blacktown

Western Sydney gets smacked again when a major Giants game is on.

Use https://transportnsw.info/alerts#/metro-train to plan your trip.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Plenty of tickets left from the look of things...no tickets sold yet in Bays 229 & 230 behind the players benches.:think:
Keeps changing every few hours on the website.

1 minute there are plenty of seats and then they are all gone.

1 minute they aren't available and then next minute there's a whole bay.

Ticketmaster

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Injury list
Screenshot_20190903-161907_GWS%20Giants.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Right... so it looks like it’ll be:

Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill HH Finlayson
Mummy DeBoer Hopper

Reid Lloyd Perryman Tomlinson

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill HH Finlayson
Mummy DeBoer Hopper

I was listening to On the Couch last night about how to use De Boer to be most effective. Maybe putting him on a Johansen might have more effect on their team if its hard to nullify Bont and Macre due to their reach.

If Williams and Greene counteract them with ground level play and speed in the guts it could disrupt them

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I was listening to On the Couch last night about how to use De Boer to be most effective. Maybe putting him on a Johansen might have more effect on their team if its hard to nullify Bont and Macre due to their reach.

If Williams and Greene counteract them with ground level play and speed in the guts it could disrupt them
Reid should go to Johansson

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed. In the collingwood game we exploited their lack of tall match ups by isolating a big forward one out. Collingwood didnt have the tall cattle to combat it and the support did not get back fast enough because the forward entry was so fast.

Here is hoping we can exploit their lack of tall defenders

Agree.

The key to beat the Bulldogs is GWS all field defence. Theoretically Cameron at centre half forward, Himma Full forward and Finlayson doing his thing should provide significant goal kicking threats.

Whats is key for the GWS winning is shutting down the Bulldogs scoring. The have lot of run from the backline. They have a lot of midfielders and halfbacks kicking goal from deep. Ideally this has to be stopped by systematically disrupting their ball movement.

I would imagine they will try to get away with illegal handballs again to to break the game open over the back to.

If somehow they run can be stopped around half forward and beyond it will probably aid a GWS victory

Fancy football will probably not cut it to beat the Bulldogs. Ideally get it in quick to Cameron at half forward and the other talls would be ideal so the can exploit aerial strength. So no overuse of the ball is required in the middle. So the likes of Greene putting it on the boot quickly would be whats needed taking the ball away from the Bulldogs mids. At the same time stopping their half backs running the ball out also would be ideal.

When in play clogging up their half forward line is probably needed to restrict their ball movement options. Then rely on Whitfield precision and other run to get the ball to advantage for GWS forward thrusts. GWS probably need to go fast and direct into the GWS targets, fairly central, no need to go to the flanks greatly. Compared to other teams this is less risky because the Bulldogs rely on overuse of ball and do not have the targets to exploit the GWS quick forward thrusts the other way depending in their forward line.

It is interesting Bailey Dale has been their biggest threat lately so they really rely on ball movement.

How do GWS exploit this match up?? I think GWS probably have no need to go too deep into their forward line from a player run perspective. Sure you have the Himma and Finalyson as targets but you also have Cameron at half forward who can take a mark and provide run meaning the mids have no need to over extend into the forward line. That means they can set-up better to nullify the Bulldogs run from the backline and amped the midfield ball movement to the Bulldogs half forward line.

So the contest can largely be won in the midfield but not necessarily in the centre rather with ball transition and defensive set-up to nullify opposition forward thrusts. Accountable football is key including matchups on the Bulldogs forwards.

GWS cannot get ahead of themselves and get ahead of the ball over running the ball and be exploited the other way. That will not suit the GWS set up. This is where the likes of Kelly and Whitfield kicking goals from the wing at half forward becomes key as well as precision kicking into the key tall targets without being dragged deep forward from over reaching and separating themselves from their true role. Has this been the achilles heel of GWS, over extending their wheels by unnecessarily going to deep forward and back providing to much space for opposition forward thrusts??

A player like Tomlinson have him at half forward. Provide Cameron with this anchor and foils so Cameron can roam up the ground and kick long into our forward line. Tomlinson needs to play a central defensive role I think supporting the ruck. Provide that marking target at half forward but also become the defensive support for the GWS at half back and not over extend into the GWS forward 50 metre. if he has the ball at high half forward take the shot!! Can he tag a Macrae or Bontempelli?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill HH Finlayson
Mummy DeBoer Hopper

My team atm

Haynes Davis Shaw

Perryman Taylor Kennedy

Whitfield Taranto Kelly

Tomlinson Cameron Williams

Hill HH Finlayson

Mumford Greene Hopper

DeBoer Caldwell Lloyd Hately

This is a very defensive minded team where rarely GWS would go to our goal square because the shot already would be taken for goal and defensively have set up to strangle opposition thrusts forward

Tomlinson is a marking option outlet at half forward where Whitfield and Kelly can go over the top for goal or to Himma. Tomlinson can also drift back to defend at half back. I think with Tomlinson playing more of a positional target it helps his role focus because I think at times he can become lost drifting in and out of games as a floater lacking the speed for a creativity standpoint. At half forward he can have greater presence and support for the likes of Cameron and when drifting down the ground the defensive role is more obvious in terms of using his presence to stifle the Bulldogs point of attack

I put Williams on Johansen as defensive forward which I think might be his true calling

IN this way the GWS get the most of Kelly and Whitfield by giving them space to dispose and maximising their disposal by utilising their disposal in link play to the forwards including Cameron, Tomlinson, Finlayson and Himmaberg. as well as the opportunity to kick goals on the run at half forward. By emphasising Kelly and Whitfield disposal from the middle and not over exerting deep in the forward line GWS can be more effective defensively including Tomlinson going up the ground into the defense, Cameron going up the ground because Himmaberg and Finlayson are forward targets that can present at half forward if need be. IN this way GWS can clog up the ground stifling Bulldogs ball movement but at the same time still have the forward weapons in positions to kick a winning score victorious over the Bulldogs. Kelly can even switch with Taranto between the wing and centre positions and with the run of Whitfield he can use that defensively enhancing the blockade against the bulldogs forward thrusts.

The other thing is with Himma and Finalyson drifting to half forward potentially if Cameron and Tomlinson drag up the ground it opens up Hill to play a Charlie Cameron role for joe the goose plays.

the other thing is if Bulldogs try to counteract by clogging up the GWS forward line GWS have the long kicks in Cameron, Tomlinson and others to kick long goals from half forward and if they want to overuse their disposal in their back half let them do it with GWS ready for them when they transfer into the middle.

If GWS can keep Bulldogs to less than 20 points while kicking 80 points themselves I think it will be seen as a strong victory!!!

The other thing is play at the stoppages. Lot of goals where kicked by the Bulldogs against the Giants in the latest game. Hopper with hopefully make a difference but players where out reached including De Boer and really a lot more heat and tackling needs to occur with Giants getting in their faces. I think Taranto needs to step up here to!!

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I’m hoping we keep Hill in the team this week. His pace and attributes could be a real point of difference

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
With Cogs out I think he will be kept.
He is probably the easy option to drop. Although with the dogs possessing few tall targets we can probably afford to drop Keefe and corr before him

I like us going smaller around the ground and keeping the height in the forward line. We probably need both him and Daniels in that forward line to keep it in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back