The state of the Giants and Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

CBF looking it up but from memory they took more players from other clubs than we did. Apart from Scully, Ward and Davis, I can’t recall any players that weren’t destined for the scrapheap (McDonald, Power, Cornes, Brogan)

They took Ablett, Harbrow, Rischitelli, Bock, Campbell - all players much younger than our old heads we recruited.

I don't think the age profile of those recruits was necessarily evidence of a "win now" mentality, considering the rest of the list was made up of teenagers and a few state-leaguers new to the AFL. It was always going to be a process, just like GWS, and experienced talent was needed to ease the transition into the league for the young guys, and at least be competitive.

Again, I think the club and league expected that the dollars and location would attract a higher level and volume of talent than it did initially. I think everyone underestimated the time a young list would take to develop, too, and all the on- and off-field teething problems along the way.

A 50 year play? Anyone who makes that kind of claim is delusional!
Laughable that you hold Andrew Demetriou in such high esteem. Just laughable.

And if you are going to be the kind of knob that corrects grammar on a footy forum - at least learn how to spell 'course' before you start mouthing off.

The GC are a basket case.

Oh look, The Sookin Swans are complaining to the AFL again and begging for handouts after missing the finals for the first time in ten years.

The Swans are a basket case.

Do you really want to test me and play this game?

1. Sydney won 16 games in their 5th year
  2. Sydney is a large city with lots of corporate sponsors and actual businesses
  3. Gold Coast is not a city and has no real businesses and is full of bankrupts, tradies and con-men.

Suns - wooden spoon
Titans - wooden spoon

you and your hatred of Gold coast suns.

seems you always had a personal agenda.

Your hatred of Ross Lyon is fair enough as its only one person. But now you want a whole AFL team to be on centrelink?

A 50 year play? Anyone who makes that kind of claim is delusional!
Laughable that you hold Andrew Demetriou in such high esteem. Just laughable.

And if you are going to be the kind of knob that corrects grammar on a footy forum - at least learn how to spell 'course' before you start mouthing off.

The GC are a basket case.
And I thought South Australia was the bankruptcy state

Lets not forget that the Brisbane Bears took nine years simply to become competitive, in an era with less clubs clamouring for the available talent.

It's not fair on the high end draft talent that are forced to go there. There's no way the players association will put up with a mandatory 3 year contract for Gold Coast draftees. They should relocate to Tassy, it's just pouring 100s of millions of dollars down the drain imo. The Gold Coast area is tourists and rugby supporters.

Lets not forget that the Brisbane Bears took nine years simply to become competitive, in an era with less clubs clamouring for the available talent.

We were given a bunch of rejects though. Didn’t get the draft largesse GWS and the Suns did.

You can’t compare the two situations the bears were set up with a bunch rejects from other clubs and the draft was pretty much nonexistent back then they have a reason for taking 9 years to be competitive the suns don’t they started with the best player in the comp and have had access to a large amount of elite young talent from the start to now the two situations are massively different!

Yes you were given everything but facilities but your most successful coach to date noted that facilities aren't an excuse, the biggest leg up in the history of the game, unfortunately it was a very poor place to set a team up. Regardless of the performance of the admin that's on the club, my club was a joke for 30 years due to incompetence and we weren't given anything to help rectify our situation. Why are the GC different?
Gold Coast are different, because we're trying to establish a new club in a non-traditional AFL state. And as for Richmond not receiving help, you did get free access to poach a player from another club back in the 1990's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much did the AFL's broadcast rights revenue go up when they introduced 2 new teams?

With the Suns being in the comp it allows channel7 in Qld, to put every Lions and Suns game on free to air TV. Plus a Friday night game, Thursday night game and 1 other game each week.

The broadcast revenue equates to @ $23 odd million per club and the AFL hand back $23 million to the Suns, as the largest handout, going on a sliding scale to WC who get @ $11 million (they're the wealthiest, income of $83 million last year) The average is $15 million.

So IMO, on the facts I can find on the internet the broadcast revenue covers the cost of the Suns and the other clubs that need a hand.

The rest of the revenue gets spent on things like buying Marvel a couple of years ago and also doing up Docklands area.

Last edited:
With the Suns being in the comp it allows channel7 in Qld, to put every Lions and Suns game on free to air TV. Plus a Friday night game, Thursday night game and 1 other game each week.

The broadcast revenue equates to @ $23 odd million per club and the AFL hand back $23 million to the Suns, as the largest handout, going on a sliding scale to WC who get @ $11 million (they're the wealthiest, income of $83 million last year) The average is $15 million.

So IMO, on the facts I can find on the internet the broadcast revenue covers the cost of the Suns and the other clubs that need a hand.

The rest of the revenue gets spent on things like buying Marvel a couple of years ago and also doing up Docklands area.
Channel 7 could put an old movie on & get same rating in qld. Two teams added value due to foxtel - teams could've been placed anywhere.

Another day, another Victorian fool who thinks he knows everything when he really knows nothing. If you haven't lived or spent significant time on the Gold Coast within the past five years, you're completely unqualified to speak on the subject.
Poor crowds, ratings & huge handouts from AFL wasted on GC visable interstate.

Whitfield about to sign a massive extension ...
at what stage do we as a football community stand up and ask for transparency.
Any club fundamentally owned by the comp should have its books opened to everyone ....
There is no integrity in this comp until the AFL do so ...

Whitfield about to sign a massive extension ...
at what stage do we as a football community stand up and ask for transparency.
Any club fundamentally owned by the comp should have its books opened to everyone ....
There is no integrity in this comp until the AFL do so ...
Brown paper bag Vics are always amusing.

So much salt.

If there was any evidence of dodgyness the VFL loving media would be all over it.

Another day, another Victorian fool who thinks he knows everything when he really knows nothing. If you haven't lived or spent significant time on the Gold Coast within the past five years, you're completely unqualified to speak on the subject.
Ok, so only people who have lived there can make a comment?How many clubs from all sports have tried and failed on the Gold Coast? It's nearly more than 10 clubs. Have a read of this and get back to me Mr Parochial. https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenew...gold-coast-australias-sporting-graveyard/amp/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back