Opinion Do we REALLY want Jack Steven from St. Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't believe we are interested in Steven at all. If we are looking at a Steven or Higgins (Higgins is way better imo) I think it means that Selly is cooked and that they don't want Danger taking command out of the middle again full time.

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
I think thats a significant downgrade..to have to wait 12 months to see what its worth...

it would only be acceptable if the club highly rated next years draft.. or had a target where that R1 pick could be handy .. so I personally would not mind it ..it would give us ammunition to approach GoldCoast about Ben King. If you think Stk is the only club that is going to put the welcome mat out for him ..I think you are mistaken...

Firstly I didn’t want to give up pick 6. There’s fire sale at the Crows.

Secondly, You can approach for Ben, but he’s only going to StK. His Bros there. He went for them as a kid and his family already treat him as a Saints player.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Firstly I didn’t want to give up pick 6. There’s fire sale at the Crows.

Secondly, You can approach for Ben, but he’s only going to StK. His Bros there. He went for them as a kid and his family already treat him as a Saints player.

Dream on. Every player barracks for someone and sometimes they end up playing for them... mostly they do not. Max has always played forward and Ben often had to play back with Max in the side...Looks like he likes playing forward to me. Can you have 2 rucks and 2 Kings in your side? Does after 2 years at GC , does BK automatically say yep lets go to a bottom side again just cause my brother is there or cause I had St scarfs as a kid? Meanwhile Haw or Car or Geelong hopefully... whoever who is in finals offers him top dollars. Stk might happen but Id not bet on it. It reminds me of the maddens and in the end one left to play at Carlton.

Last edited:

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
One of the floggiest trades i've seen on the football facebook pages is Hill from Freo to St Kilda, Stevens from St Kilda to Geelong, and Kelly from Geelong to Freo.

No picks. This guy kept saying "but but but Stevens has won 4 BnFs."

Won 4 B&Fs at the Saints....
Not exactly the same as 4 at the Cats.
PLUS he's on the wrong side of 30, PLUS he has big off field issues.
Third rounder at best.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Won 4 B&Fs at the Saints....
Not exactly the same as 4 at the Cats.
PLUS he's on the wrong side of 30, PLUS he has big off field issues.
Third rounder at best.

The age is an issue but not a super major one imo.. he will have time to play 2 seasons or more .. it more the other stuff.

We have to set the value we are willing to pay if not an angstrom more .....

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Winning a BnF at any club is a big deal.

I agree ... however there is no doubt it can be harder to win them at some clubs than others. Think about Hawthorn thru the 70's / 80's .. Leigh Mathews winning BF after BF how many good players missed out ... later Ayres Brerrton only 1.. its hard to win them when a side is strong. ...
What about Geelong Gary Ablett Sr 1 , Jr 2 ... Joel Selwood 3 , Scarlett 1 ... . If you win 4 you have been a good player at your club no doubt ..Budda Hocking at Geelong won 4 ... but the guys I really rate are B&F in Premiership years.. Boris Enright in 2009 and 2011... etc.

But to a certain degree... that alls peripheral ..its not the about the B&Fs previously won.... can he come to geelong and play well enough to win one? Has he got that in him anymore? I have doubts.

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
The answer to the subject question can’t be answered until 4 weeks time -

- if we win GF
- how we shape up in mid field contest and speed
- who leaves and what we get in return (presumably for Kelly)
- what the asking price is
- what sort of shape is Stevens in

If we bring home the cup i’d be tempted to pass and focus on developing next gen of mids (assuming we get a good mid for Kelly and back Constable and perhaps Simpson). Exception to this is if we lose Joel as well as Kelly, as potentially we’d really struggle for a couple of years.

If we lose GF and answers to my initial questions are right I’d go for Stevens - assuming premiership window is open for another 2 years he might be worth the punt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tackle_happy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2011
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Geelong
It will come down to his health if he is in bad way Saints can not ask much so will be over 40 the pick
I agree. They should be treating this similar to how Geelong has been compassionate with some of their players (not playing hardball). He wants to head home, he has suffered from mental illness, he is in the twilight of his career.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
It will come down to his health if he is in bad way Saints can not ask much so will be over 40 the pick

Listening to sen this morning on the trading bell ... the thought was a R3 but that we take all his dollars ... the conversation was how do they seel an R3 to the fans.....

also .. the way they talked Higgins was still in play and that we could not fit both in our cap

So If we take all of Steven money , the dump Carlise , they dump Bruce ...they must be making room for someone.. they must think they are in play for Ben King or or they are banking the money.. or it doesnt make sence..

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The answer to the subject question can’t be answered until 4 weeks time -

- if we win GF
- how we shape up in mid field contest and speed
- who leaves and what we get in return (presumably for Kelly)
- what the asking price is
- what sort of shape is Stevens in

If we bring home the cup i’d be tempted to pass and focus on developing next gen of mids (assuming we get a good mid for Kelly and back Constable and perhaps Simpson). Exception to this is if we lose Joel as well as Kelly, as potentially we’d really struggle for a couple of years.

If we lose GF and answers to my initial questions are right I’d go for Stevens - assuming premiership window is open for another 2 years he might be worth the punt.

No matter how we go.. if the bold is not favorable we will not have a choice.. cant see bringing big dollar players if 3 or 4 of our big dollar guys stay... Harry and GA would have to move on if we bring in guys like Steven. We must have a projected hole of some sort to make an offer to Kelly ..its just a matter of how much..

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Listening to sen this morning on the trading bell ... the though was a R3 but that we take all his dollars ... the conversation was how do they seel an R3 to the fans.....

also .. the way they talked Higgins was still in play and that we could not fit both in our cap

So If we take all of Steven money , the dump Carlise , they dump Bruise ...they must be making room for someone.. they must think they are in play for Ben King or or they are banking the money.. or it doesnt make sence..
I thought Higgins got the extra year he wanted from norf and had signed a new deal or was about to? He isn't coming here.

And I would have thought the saints would be way under the cap considering they were throwing million dollar offers at big name players trying to get them over. They have the past few years and have been unsuccessful. That money must still be there.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought Higgins got the extra year he wanted from norf and had signed a new deal or was about to? He isn't coming here.

And I would have thought the saints would be way under the cap considering they were throwing million dollar offers at big name players trying to get them over. They have the past few years and have been unsuccessful. That money must still be there.

He has been offered but as yet ..not signed.. (apparently)

I agree on the cap..too but I guess we will see...if we get Steven for that type of pick..it will be because we have taken the money out of their cap..

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He has been offered but as yet ..not signed.. (apparently)

I agree on the cap..too but I guess we will see...if we get Steven for that type of pick..it will be because we have taken the money out of their cap..
Don't know how that will all work cause they don't need to save cap money. Maybe they are just being realistic and know they won't get a high pick for him so this might be their only option of getting some additional return to go with a later pick.

They will have a lot of cap space to sign players, but the question is will anyone want to come? Their last few targets have have had buckets thrown at them, and refused.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't know how that will all work cause they don't need to save cap money. Maybe they are just being realistic and know they won't get a high pick for him so this might be their only option of getting some additional return to go with a later pick.

They will have a lot of cap space to sign players, but the question is will anyone want to come? Their last few targets have have had buckets thrown at them, and refused.

The way they are clearing talls.. it like they know they can get Ben King... add Hill ..thats a bit of money ..probably someone else out there... its funny how it works ...paying overs last year to Hanners... then they get Hill ... it starts to look a place to go... but the way the are clearing players out .. its different..

Do we REALLY want Jack Steven from St. Kilda?

If it costs us very little, e.g., 3rd round pick, I'd say yes. A fit Stevens is a gut running work horse, and may be good for 2 seasons. It also reinforces the message to ex Falcons playing for other clubs that Geelong is a "safe haven....come home"

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
The money will be split over the extension we give him. if he is on 800K next year then we pay say 1.4-1.5 and split that over three

If we only cough up a pick 45+ and then replace him with Scooters money then we are in front by a long way.

He's not Tim Kelly but we is the sort of similar the way he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back