Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah because they know who we are interested in :rolleyes:
I’m not particularly surprised. I’m sure the question has been asked of Allen and Brander but if they’re happy where they are that’s the end of that.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
The FoxFooty podcast crew suggest Geelong isn’t into any West Coast players, at least none that are gettable.

I’m not particularly surprised. I’m sure the question has been asked of Allen and Brander but if they’re happy where they are that’s the end of that.

Liam Duggan and Jackson Nelson both Geelong boys, both with over 50 games experience at 23yo - either of them of interest around here I wonder?
Duggan I quite like, Premiership player n all that ..

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
If Geelong cannot strike a deal with WCE where does that leave things? Does Kelly go into the National Draft?

Would we have the balls to be the Bad Guys in that scenario? I don't think the club would do it .. anyway, I don't reckon it would come to that, if the Eagles want Kelly they're going to have to play ball ..

Nov 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If Geelong cannot strike a deal with WCE where does that leave things? Does Kelly go into the National Draft?
Not sure if it's the National or Pre-Season Draft, but this will not be an option for him.

WCE will need to trade aggressively for picks to acquire him or he will end up staying another year, IMO.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Work with freo for a trade, or say we tried tim but wce aren't offering fair value, so here's a one year deal, sign it and we will try again next year.

We will see if wce really want him or they are just in his ear, but secretly won't pay much to get him.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong

Everyone knows we'll never send Kelly to the draft, so unless Fremantle can sweet-talk the Kellys, or Kelly's manager can seriously play West Coast into a scare (which I don't think he can), we'll have to take what's on offer.

As opposed to other viewpoints, I don't think we have much leverage. West Coast play low-ball and we're above that sort of thing.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
Everyone knows we'll never send Kelly to the draft, so unless Fremantle can sweet-talk the Kellys, or Kelly's manager can seriously play West Coast into a scare (which I don't think he can), we'll have to take what's on offer.

As opposed to other viewpoints, I don't think we have much leverage. West Coast play low-ball and we're above that sort of thing.

Im not so sure anymore, we could have folded like superman on laundry day last year but we didn't and knowing his improvement this year and what he is worth I expect us to be just as firm if not firmer with negotiations this year. Remember this is a guy who has already won the Best Young Player Award, All Australian selection, will probably poll very well in Brownlow and possibly win a BnF, if we let him go for nothing we are crazy regardless of contract status.

IF Kelly advises he wants a trade back to Perth, Geelong will do what they can to get a deal done - we saw that last year but WCE failed to step up to get a deal over the line.

I'd think Geelong would be talking to Kelly & telling him what they are after in a trade for him, that he may need to be open to offers from both WCE & Freo and that if a suitable trade can't be reached there will be an offer on the table from the club meaning he can stay another year to try this all again in 12 months time.

If we didn't roll over last year why would we suddenly roll over this year - Geelong doesn't just have to accept what's put on the table, no trade gets done & Kelly decides to chance it in the draft, I doubt he lasts until WCE's pick so there's potentially more at risk for him & WCE to not find a suitable trade.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
IF Kelly advises he wants a trade back to Perth, Geelong will do what they can to get a deal done - we saw that last year but WCE failed to step up to get a deal over the line.

I'd think Geelong would be talking to Kelly & telling him what they are after in a trade for him, that he may need to be open to offers from both WCE & Freo and that if a suitable trade can't be reached there will be an offer on the table from the club meaning he can stay another year to try this all again in 12 months time.

If we didn't roll over last year why would we suddenly roll over this year - Geelong doesn't just have to accept what's put on the table, no trade gets done & Kelly decides to chance it in the draft, I doubt he lasts until WCE's pick so there's potentially more at risk for him & WCE to not find a suitable trade.

I'd love for him to go to the draft and get picked up by us again....that would be hilarious....just unfortunate that we dont have a pick before WC.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong

That's all true, but there's just no way Geelong will send Kelly to the draft - we're not that sort of club and all the other clubs know that. Hence, why we'll end up taking what's put to us after dancing along with the negotiations. We'd like it to be equitable and fair - and it would help if Kelly was interested in Freo - but West Coast are a dog of a club when it comes to this sort of thing.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
Im not so sure anymore, we could have folded like superman on laundry day last year but we didn't and knowing his improvement this year and what he is worth I expect us to be just as firm if not firmer with negotiations this year. Remember this is a guy who has already won the Best Young Player Award, All Australian selection, will probably poll very well in Brownlow and possibly win a BnF, if we let him go for nothing we are crazy regardless of contract status.

We played it very well last year, but it helped that he was under contract on a cheap wage. We're not in Kansas anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's all true, but there's just no way Geelong will send Kelly to the draft - we're not that sort of club and all the other clubs know that. Hence, why we'll end up taking what's put to us after dancing along with the negotiations. We'd like it to be equitable and fair - and it would help if Kelly was interested in Freo - but West Coast are a dog of a club when it comes to this sort of thing.

How do we know Kelly isn't interested in Freo - I'm actually yet to hear Kelly firstly request a trade back to Perth, let alone selecting just one team. There's a lot of media speculation at the moment, so I'm going to wait to see what exactly pans out first

And I agree it's doubtful Geelong would send him to the draft, but if Kelly requests a trade to Perth & whichever of the teams we are dealing with fails to stump up adequate compensation, the AFL & mediation will get involved. I'm pretty sure the AFL also has to sign off on trades & if the other team is offering well under value, then the trade may not be signed off on

Liam Duggan and Jackson Nelson both Geelong boys, both with over 50 games experience at 23yo - either of them of interest around here I wonder?
Duggan I quite like, Premiership player n all that ..
I think only players worth a first rounder are relevant to the discussion.

Work with freo for a trade, or say we tried tim but wce aren't offering fair value, so here's a one year deal, sign it and we will try again next year.

We will see if wce really want him or they are just in his ear, but secretly won't pay much to get him.
WCE won’t get him if he ends up in the draft. Saints and Roos can only dream of landing a player of his quality for free. They’ll pay him whatever he wants too. Cats are in a very strong position here for me.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
We played it very well last year, but it helped that he was under contract on a cheap wage. We're not in Kansas anymore.

So what we just accept whatever they give us....sorry no!!! If he wants to take his chances in the draft then so be it (guarantee it wont end well for him) but otherwise they can pay what he is worth, we wont just roll over especially when he could be our BnF this year.

If as reported, WCE are willing to offer Kelly a 5/6 year deal - then they will have to pay up with an adequate trade

Realistically you can't be putting anything close to the reported offer on the table for a player and then turn around and offer a selection of 2nd round picks because that's all you are prepared to depart with. If you are prepared to pay the player their value in a contract, then you also need to be prepared to pay their value in terms of a trade

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I do think (if Tim decides to go) that Geelong make sure he goes to Freo and not the WCE. Just from the point of view of not giving a team that's still in a premiership window an AA player who just might be the cream on top that causes them to win the 20 flag. This is not in our best interest, or the competitions.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I do think (if Tim decides to go) that Geelong make sure he goes to Freo and not the WCE. Just from the point of view of not giving a team that's still in a premiership window an AA player who just might be the cream on top that causes them to win the 20 flag. This is not in our best interest, or the competitions.

Or the next 5 flags with the list they have!!!!

Kelly shouldn't be gettable but he is. WCE need to take the stick out of their arse and come to the table with a fair offer.
I see this being a problematic trade to get done. As I said, WC players won’t be involved which means picks. WC have picks 14 and 22 which is close but not enough to get it done. Might need future picks or another club involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back