Who are you going for in the finals?

Who are you going for in the finals?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's a strange feeling to be sitting here in the first week of September with nothing to really look forward to. Over the 25-odd years I've supported the Swans, we've incredibly only missed the finals 3 times before this year, so it's almost foreign to be contemplating who I'd like to see lift the premiership cup in 2019. To work it out, I had to look at the match-ups and see which team I'd rather see win in each game, because I can't actually figure out who I'd like to see win the whole thing.

So in week 1, I'd want:

WC v Essendon - Yikes, this is already harder than I thought. I guess WC. I don't hate them quite as much as I used to.
Geelong v Collingwood - Despite Brad Scott being a giant bellend, I can't ever bring myself to barrack for the Pies.
GWS v Bulldogs - Oh lawdy. Again. How could I possibly choose? I'm actually going to this match with a Bulldogs mate, so I guess I'm going for them. If Toby Greene plays, that decision will be so much easier.
Lions v Tigers - I don't mind either of these teams, but particularly enjoy the game style of the Lions.

Actually, I've just realised that I want it to be an all-big cat GF with whoever loses the Lions/Tigers match to make it back for a 2005/2006-style 3 week-later rematch. So I guess that means I'm on the Brisbane bandwagon.

Who are you going for?

Lions by a country mile for me.

Lions
Daylight
Daylight
Daylight
Daylight
Daylight
Daylight
GWS
WC
Geelong
Tigers
Pies
Daylight
Daylight
Daylight
Daylight
Daylight
Daylight
Just can't write daylight enough to put those other two in. I hope neither of them have any success whilst I still draw breath.

Brisvegas for mine.

Out of the rest I don't mind Geelong or Richmond as a club but can't stand any of the others. Brisbane's 3-peat wasn't that long ago but they've been down on the mat for a long time and they're playing a great brand of footy. Although it would unfortunately mean Luke Hodge winning another flag, I'll put my two bob on them.

WC v Essendon - Eagles as the Bombers don’t deserve to be their.
Geelong v Collingwood - Cats as the Pies have been blessed with a home final for finishing third.
GWS v Bulldogs - Giants as I’m taking the kids to the game and Bulldogs fans are the worst on BigFooty.
Lions v Tigers - Lions as the Tigers have had seven games in a row at the G. Farcical competition in which the AFL panders to certain Vic clubs.

Hope West Coast go back to back.. Good coach and most of the players seem ok, and the Jetta connection.. Or Essendon.. All the other teams are either a threat to the swans or too dislike a bunch of their players.

The last few seasons the AFL has pushed hard for the fairytale... So can see a push for an Essendon (post drugs saga) or Lions (reclaiming glory days) triumph.

Have close mates that are Essendon so will be on their wagon for most of it... but I respect Geelong the most out of all the sides though. Wouldn't begrudge a Lions win either. Absolute worst case the Weagles go back to back...

Anything else = yuck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So people complain about fairytale premierships and then Brisbane is almost universally the team people want to win.

Which is it?
Even if you take the fairytale flag factor out of the equation the Lions are still by far the most palatable team left in the comp.

So people complain about fairytale premierships and then Brisbane is almost universally the team people want to win.

Which is it?

lions finished 2nd not some bullshit 7th side

Lions

WC or Geelong I'd also be okay with. Richmond and Essendon I'd be indifferent to. Would hate to see any of the other 3 win it.

West Coast are lower for me than they would be for many of you, because I have to continue living in Perth...

Brisbane
Geelong
GWS

Daylight

Bulldogs
Richmond
West Coast
Collingwood

AFL abolished and no title awarded
Zombie apocalypse
Nuclear holocaust

drug cheating scum

Brisbane - no contest. Huge respect for the club. They're up against what we're up against, if not more. Great for the national comp. Exciting team. Great story this year.

long gap

GWS - hate 'em, but great for the national comp.

West Coast - respect, great for the national comp.

Geelong - hard to hate.

Collingwood - hate Eddie, but respect the club.

Richmond - used to respect them but some of their fans have been insufferable since 2017. Hate their colours.

huge gap

Bulldogs - will never forgive them for 2016, but they are playing bloody well.

Essendon - meh.

Last edited:
Brisbane clearly, then GWS, for northern alliance reasons and because I'll maybe get to go if GWS make it.

Then West Coast because while they're boring and super rich, they're a distant abstraction with no fanbase around me, they have Jetta, and winning away is a big achievement worth supporting.

Then Geelong as long as Rohan plays.

Beyond that not really fussed, except for Never Essendon. The five Vic clubs' fanbases are all similarly insufferable for different reasons, Geelong are probably preferable because their fans showed Goodes respect. After their doping attempts, Essendon really just cannot be permitted to win for at least the next generation so that all traces of "redemption" narratives are dead.

Back