Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m not bagging ratten it’s the nah sayers in relation to Harvey that annoy me.

Comparisons are sometimes difficult and at present Clarkson because of his success is the rolled gold standard. He had a brief stint as a runner at Melbourne, then an assistant with us before he took over at Werribee then on to the SANFL and back as an assistant before landing the job at hawthorn. That’s his resume not a blueprint for others to follow.

Harvey was a superstar who played much longer, he’s coached as an assistant at three clubs for what 10 odd years and is highly rated and praised in his current role at the leagues biggest club. Imagine ditching the senior assistants role at Collingwood to coach Sandringham yet that’s what he’s being asked effectively to do when posters say he needs to run his own team. To me that’s just rubbish, when Clarkson took over at Werribee it was a natural progression and the first year of a combined afl/vfl reserves comp.

Anyway Harvey should have kicked the door down to get back to the saints as an assistant, he’s well and truly qualified to take the job he obviously misread the situation and missed his chance. I expect ratten to get the job and hope he’s a 10 year coach but I would have liked to see Harvey get a chance in the job the same way many will hope that one day Lenny gets the gig.

There’s definitely some sentimentality involved and I’m sure it would have provided a boost in membership numbers and a goodwill period which I doubt ratten gets. I hope for his sake and the clubs we hit the ground running because nobody is getting 5 years like richo again.
One of things I find hard to compute is the relative value other clubs and commentators (including this Board) appear to put on the VFL coach role in comparison to how I perceive St Kilda do.

We've got Senior Assistants at other clubs being tagged as needing to take a vfl role to prove themselves, but we seem to use it as an exit lounge or stage of demotion for our coaches.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
One of things I find hard to compute is the relative value other clubs and commentators (including this Board) appear to put on the VFL coach role in comparison to how I perceive St Kilda do.

We've got Senior Assistants at other clubs being tagged as needing to take a vfl role to prove themselves, but we seem to use it as an exit lounge or stage of demotion for our coaches.
There are different schools of thought on this, some see it as beneficial even at local level like richo and Fagan others don’t rate it.

Personally if it’s part of a progression moving up then great but generally you don’t go from big money senior assistant backwards to roles filled by guys who have moved up from local leagues. How many coaches including the great Darrell baldock did Harvey play under, state games, international rules nah sorry mate you need a year or two at Frankston.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I just saw a post from chook Nixon someone sent me even he things pick 5 or two late firsts is a joke for hill, late first at best.

I would really like hill he’s contracted so they have the whip hand but there is no way he’s worth more than a late first. I’m just walking away at that price and waiting to see who else steps up, can’t see anyone offering better than that.

Sep 15, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
I just saw a post from chook Nixon someone sent me even he things pick 5 or two late firsts is a joke for hill, late first at best.

I would really like hill he’s contracted so they have the whip hand but there is no way he’s worth more than a late first. I’m just walking away at that price and waiting to see who else steps up, can’t see anyone offering better than that.

No he agreed with you. Someone put it to him about pick 5 or 2 late firsts. Toot toot says only 1 late 1st round

I think I heard the same stuff as others regarding Ratts being announced today. Was told there was an announcement at the club and that there was a sponsor coming on.

I knew that we were getting an airline on board for 2020 so assumed it was that and also assumed the announcement would mention the head coaching position.

Had no idea about Deliveroo though! And now I see some are hearing there's a board meeting tomorrow with announcement for Friday. Club absolutely stumped everyone including old mate Tom Browne, haha.

StCicatriz you tempted to come back on in 2020 ??

i wish i was mate, but i'm absolutely exhausted after the last 3 years.

can't do it. need a break.

i fear my heart coming into this trade period if tom morris is correct.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I’m not bagging ratten it’s the nah sayers in relation to Harvey that annoy me.

Comparisons are sometimes difficult and at present Clarkson because of his success is the rolled gold standard. He had a brief stint as a runner at Melbourne, then an assistant with us before he took over at Werribee then on to the SANFL and back as an assistant before landing the job at hawthorn. That’s his resume not a blueprint for others to follow.

Harvey was a superstar who played much longer, he’s coached as an assistant at three clubs for what 10 odd years and is highly rated and praised in his current role at the leagues biggest club. Imagine ditching the senior assistants role at Collingwood to coach Sandringham yet that’s what he’s being asked effectively to do when posters say he needs to run his own team. To me that’s just rubbish, when Clarkson took over at Werribee it was a natural progression and the first year of a combined afl/vfl reserves comp.

Anyway Harvey should have kicked the door down to get back to the saints as an assistant, he’s well and truly qualified to take the job he obviously misread the situation and missed his chance. I expect ratten to get the job and hope he’s a 10 year coach but I would have liked to see Harvey get a chance in the job the same way many will hope that one day Lenny gets the gig.

There’s definitely some sentimentality involved and I’m sure it would have provided a boost in membership numbers and a goodwill period which I doubt ratten gets. I hope for his sake and the clubs we hit the ground running because nobody is getting 5 years like richo again.

I wouldn't recommend he coach Sandringham, because he'd essentially be beholden to us, but definitely a standalone club where he ran things would be beneficial.

We already know he can assist, just as we already know he was a great player, but Nathan Buckley saying the Pies would be fine with Harves as coach is totally different to Harvey coaching week in week out, dealing with player complaints, pressure from the admin, the media, the fans, working with list managers, having a heavy hand and maybe final say in long term strategic planning, all the rest. Not too much to ask he have a go on a lower league first.

It would be a nice touch to his career if he got a chance with us one day, but we can't afford to be sentimental, and especially be giving coaches goodwill periods, simply because they were great for us as players. I disagree with giving him an easy ride to the club's detriment on the back of him being a favourite son, and I reckon he would feel uneasy about it too.

I agree that no future coach will be getting 5 years again, but Richo did briefly look promising back around 2016, that fooled everyone.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I wouldn't recommend he coach Sandringham, because he'd essentially be beholden to us, but definitely a standalone club where he ran things would be beneficial.

We already know he can assist, just as we already know he was a great player, but Nathan Buckley saying the Pies would be fine with Harves as coach is totally different to Harvey coaching week in week out, dealing with player complaints, pressure from the admin, the media, the fans, working with list managers, having a heavy hand and maybe final say in long term strategic planning, all the rest. Not too much to ask he have a go on a lower league first.

It would be a nice touch to his career if he got a chance with us one day, but we can't afford to be sentimental, and especially be giving coaches goodwill periods, simply because they were great for us as players. I disagree with giving him an easy ride to the club's detriment on the back of him being a favourite son, and I reckon he would feel uneasy about it too.

I agree that no future coach will be getting 5 years again, but Richo did briefly look promising back around 2016, that fooled everyone.
Sorry Austin it’s just totally pointless and unrealistic, imo most coaches won’t have done this and if they do it’s early in their coaching career.

Harvey would be on serious money at Collingwood so your asking a guy with his experience as a player and coach at 48 years of age to go back to the mail room. If you want to be bloody minded or come up with excuses not to give him the job go ahead but just for starters Hardwick, Simpson, Buckley, Worsfold and Longmuir were never asked to do what you want.

You can go and look at the record of every coach if you like I’m sure you’ll find a couple who have coached at a lower level I know Fagan and Bevo have but they’ll definitely be in the minority. Most would be assistants and then into a senior job. Maybe back in the day when clubs all had reserves that may have been more common but not now.

Anyway it’s not happening for Harvey but let me ask you are you going to insist Lenny do a stint at a lower level or would you be happy for him to work as an assistant to ratten and then take over.

Last edited:
i wish i was mate, but i'm absolutely exhausted after the last 3 years.

can't do it. need a break.

i fear my heart coming into this trade period if tom morris is correct.

Paid up member or not, it’s not going to stop you being emotionally fully invested in the season. ECO is not a thing for Saints supporters.

yep its called a wrist ... Ratten is a lock ... take it to the bank.. dead certainty... blah blah blah

If he isn’t appointed coach it would be the best kept secret since Buddy ended up at the Swans.

Tom Morris wouldnt know his elbow from his A hole ... there is totally no way we are doing two firsts and acres for Brad Hill...

that was probably one of the better ones. the carlisle for a 3rd rounder made me throw up before i thought about what bruce is leaving for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back