Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
220g eye fillet cooked on the weberq
c4c38b4fc9412aa0deb61039ba4eb342.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Not enough blood!

That said, when asked how i like my steak I usually reply "Nothing that a good vet couldnt bring round".

Not enough blood!

That said, when asked how i like my steak I usually reply "Nothing that a good vet couldnt bring round".
the mrs hates medium-raw steak so I need to compromise a bit

I got a smoker for my b'day a couple of months back, and just got an offset smoker box for it for fathers day. The next item of my wish list is a rotisserie to have a crack at some spit roasts. I'm still learning the ins and outs of it atm, but my chicken wings are a revelation!
what brand?

And what have you been cooking?

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
what brand?

And what have you been cooking?
Char-Griller.

I've done a whole rib fillet which was really good, I did beef and pork ribs that I was having a nightmare of a time keeping the temperature up, and they were a debacle, and a really nice pork roast on there as well. Thinking about having another crack at the ribs this weekend.

Char-Griller.

I've done a whole rib fillet which was really good, I did beef and pork ribs that I was having a nightmare of a time keeping the temperature up, and they were a debacle, and a really nice pork roast on there as well. Thinking about having another crack at the ribs this weekend.
pork ribs are the easiest but try to get baby back ribs

Put a sugar based rub on them

Put in there at about 107 degrees (225 farenheit) for about 3 hours.

Then pull them out and put some bbq sauce on them and rap them in tin foil and cook for another 1-2 hours

Beef ribs are bloody good but a bit harder to cook

Then there is brisket, that bad boy takes a good 9-10 attempts before you work it out

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Then pull them out and put some bbq sauce on them and rap them in tin foil and cook for another 1-2 hours

Then there is brisket, that bad boy takes a good 9-10 attempts before you work it out
Yeah I tried something similar with the ribs, but I was constantly messing with the coals as it wasn't hot enough, now I've got the offset on there, and I've gotten better at managing my temps, they'll hopefully come out better.

I have a mate who does competitions who has said to give the brisket a wide birth in the early days, so I don't plan on tackling it for a while, sticking to the slow cooker to satisfy my brisket related needs!

Yeah I tried something similar with the ribs, but I was constantly messing with the coals as it wasn't hot enough, now I've got the offset on there, and I've gotten better at managing my temps, they'll hopefully come out better.

I have a mate who does competitions who has said to give the brisket a wide birth in the early days, so I don't plan on tackling it for a while, sticking to the slow cooker to satisfy my brisket related needs!
yeah it was bloody hard to perfect.

I cook one maybe a month but I need the size to be about 3.5kg for my cooking technique to consistently work properly

When I finally decide to have a crack at it, I'll be sure to be hitting you up for that technique!
Just be prepared for 17 hours and an overnight cook

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Now I’m in Canada I’ve bought a charcoal bbq. It was all new to me. Best way to do ribs is to cook them in the oven on low for a few hours and then finish them on the bbq.
I’m sure Stinger and Count are all over it but you have to remove the ‘silver’ membrane from the ribs before you put the rub on so it can get absorbed. I’ve also been told that after you put the rub on, put the ribs in a baking dish with a bit of water, maybe half a cup, then cover the dish with cling wrap and then tin foil. I’ve tried it once but the ******* cling wrap partially melted.

Now I’m in Canada I’ve bought a charcoal bbq. It was all new to me. Best way to do ribs is to cook them in the oven on low for a few hours and then finish them on the bbq.
I’m sure Stinger and Count are all over it but you have to remove the ‘silver’ membrane from the ribs before you put the rub on so it can get absorbed. I’ve also been told that after you put the rub on, put the ribs in a baking dish with a bit of water, maybe half a cup, then cover the dish with cling wrap and then tin foil. I’ve tried it once but the ******* cling wrap partially melted.
That is the opposite to what I do.

I pat dry them before putting the rub on

A few pics of last cooks on the smoker

smoked chicken, beef ribs & sausage

68c1e6a2f49c83febc009b0eaec36910.jpg

17 hour smoked brisket
e47ac4cf7d4977a0cd0d1d899e5826e4.jpg

Another smoked chicken
53941f2e398c49fa7238276662b4b56d.jpg

First crack at smoked beef ribs
acfcddcd9d82c78ed5136a11723a99c1.jpg

The idea is to keep the moisture in while your slow cooking it. Then you finish them on high heat on the bbq to get the bbq sauce with a glaze finish
I might give that a try as I'm smoking some baby back pork ribs this weekend.

I do inject my brisket before I start smoking it though...

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I might give that a try as I'm smoking some baby back pork ribs this weekend.

I do inject my brisket before I start smoking it though...
Do you take the silver off? You just use the handle of a spoon to slide under the skin and it peels off in one piece. It’s on the concave side only.
And if you use cling wrap, put it on low. Like 220.

Do you take the silver off? You just use the handle of a spoon to slide under the skin and it peels off in one piece. It’s on the concave side only.
And if you use cling wrap, put it on low. Like 220.
is the silver the membrane?

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

While the ribs are cooking spray them with a cider/soy sauce mixture to keep them from drying out, i spray mine every 15 minutes.

Also with the glaze, don't use bbq sauce, it's damn easy to make a really delicious glaze found from a quick google search.

But if anyone is doing to do it on a bbq, place the ribs in the middle with the 2 outside burners on. You will need to play around with the burners to get the right temperature, I also smoke some wood chips to add to the flavour. I cook mine at about 300 deg Fahrenheit for 1.5 hours, first 45 minutes spraying them and then add the glaze and turn them for the rest of the 45 minutes. Then I put them directly over a flame to get a bit of charcoal flavour added in. Comes out really well.

You can get really good quality ribs from Costco, perfect for it.

If anyone is near Lilydale this Saturday a guy i know is sponsored by a top butchers out that way and he is doing a taste testing session out the front of the shop, his brisket wagyu is amazing

220g eye fillet cooked on the weberq
c4c38b4fc9412aa0deb61039ba4eb342.jpg

What is that horrible green/red thing on the right side of the plate?

Everything else looks great but I like my steak a little pinker. What is the sauce?

Not enough blood!

That said, when asked how i like my steak I usually reply "Nothing that a good vet couldn't bring round".
You sound like my old man. Always cooked it blue so thats how I always used to have it. Now I like it medium-rare.

Sometimes he would order it at a restaurant and just say he wanted it still mooing. I also remember someone saying 'cut off its horns, wipe its butt and serve it up.' Think it was from a movie.

What is that horrible green/red thing on the right side of the plate?

Everything else looks great but I like my steak a little pinker. What is the sauce?
Something my mrs makes us put on the plate for decorations (well she eats it)

While the ribs are cooking spray them with a cider/soy sauce mixture to keep them from drying out, i spray mine every 15 minutes.

Also with the glaze, don't use bbq sauce, it's damn easy to make a really delicious glaze found from a quick google search.

But if anyone is doing to do it on a bbq, place the ribs in the middle with the 2 outside burners on. You will need to play around with the burners to get the right temperature, I also smoke some wood chips to add to the flavour. I cook mine at about 300 deg Fahrenheit for 1.5 hours, first 45 minutes spraying them and then add the glaze and turn them for the rest of the 45 minutes. Then I put them directly over a flame to get a bit of charcoal flavour added in. Comes out really well.

You can get really good quality ribs from Costco, perfect for it.

If anyone is near Lilydale this Saturday a guy i know is sponsored by a top butchers out that way and he is doing a taste testing session out the front of the shop, his brisket wagyu is amazing

Yeah I don't spray the ribs as much as I did when I first started out smoking them. I might occasionally use apple juice

I actually buy my pork ribs only at Costco. The baby back ribs are amazing from there. I actually bought a couple last weekend from there a 1kg rack and a 1.6kg rack. I'm going to smoke the 1kg rack this weekend

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sounds like we need a Demons Iron Chef to get up over the off-season to keeps things interesting.

I grill a mean sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back