Some MCC seats to be avilable to club members Prelim & GF - Caroline Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

The real question is are the food and drinks cheaper in MCC, could pay for your membership on its own?

Oh, and what events aren’t included? Do you get cricket, international soccer, concerts etc.?

The real question is are the food and drinks cheaper in MCC, could pay for your membership on its own?

Oh, and what events aren’t included? Do you get cricket, international soccer, concerts etc.?

All cricket matches are included. For other special events (concerts, state of origin, visiting international soccer teams etc.) it might be like $50 for an MCC member to get a ticket, whereas it would be $120 for a non-member, something like that.

Maybe your more patient than me
But wanting in a massive line 5 hours or the night before a big game wouldn’t simply wreck the day for me.
I might give the over night thing a crack if the useless bombers ever make the GF (last time I wasn't MCC and queued overnight in the yarra park ticket line).

But take ANZAC day as an example, I think I only queued 45mins or so and got N48. Because heaps of people go straight to the first level, and many others like level 3 for the bar. Watching the spread once people enter is a good example to show how automated systems are s**t. "Best available" differs depending on individual preference.

MCC is good and all but have you been an AFL Member. That's the real s**t right there.

To be honest, I can understand the argument from both sides with the MCC members. But if it gets through all the ranks of the MCC and it's still not full, let the club members get in. As many people as possible should be able to experience their team in a GF. It is an amazing feeling.

MCC is good and all but have you been an AFL Member. That's the real s**t right there.

To be honest, I can understand the argument from both sides with the MCC members. But if it gets through all the ranks of the MCC and it's still not full, let the club members get in. As many people as possible should be able to experience their team in a GF. It is an amazing feeling.

Sounds good in theory, but how could you actually set that up? Something like full MCC members have to get there by 1pm, then it's open to restricted/provisional members from 1pm onwards, then club members from 2pm onwards?

I would assume that the main argument against that is that the MCC would probably prefer a seat to be empty than for a non-member/restricted member to take a seat that a full member wanted, because they arrived 15 minutes earlier. And that's fair enough, in my opinion.

We're talking potentially members in their 80s and 90s in some instances here, many who aren't too crash hot with the current methods of communications and important updates. Why would the MCC risk the shitstorm?

Further to that, I think you have to give the restricted members a fair crack at the seats. An hour window before opening the gates to anyone isn't long enough, in my opinion. The earliest that I'd be comfortable to make that call to open the gates would be the end of the first quarter.

I think it's a pretty thankless task and most of the time they get it right. In time, I'm sure they'll put the processes in place for people to confirm their plans to be walk up attendees, but it's not reasonable in my opinion to expect older members to seamlessly adjust to new regulations like this on the eve of the finals.

Watching the spread once people enter is a good example to show how automated systems are s**t. "Best available" differs depending on individual preference.
Just on the 'best available' thing, that's one thing I hate too. However for this weeks games in the non MCC/AFL parts of the ground the Ticketek system let you click on an exact section. It showed all the bays available and you click one and the bays were even split into the different prices eg level 1 open or the back rows undercover. It worked great after the initial first day screw up was fixed.

So will the MCC implement their new blockbuster policy for Friday night's Pies/Cats game and let the public in?

With AFL/public seats sold out and some inclement weather on the cards, there's a real possibility of a repeat of last year's prelim fiasco with large portions of walk up seats going unused. MCC promised that if this looked like happening they would open it up to provisional members and then the public.

If they do then when/how do they do it? Do they sneak a tweet out at 7:49pm not giving people enough time?

Just on the 'best available' thing, that's one thing I hate too. However for this weeks games in the non MCC/AFL parts of the ground the Ticketek system let you click on an exact section. It showed all the bays available and you click one and the bays were even split into the different prices eg level 1 open or the back rows undercover. It worked great after the initial first day screw up was fixed.

So did club members get first pick?

Thanks for the fiasco reminder. It's always handy to jog your memory as to what we need to be outraged by.

Just curious as to how the opposite situation would rate out the fiasco scale: i.e. members missing out on seats due to them being allocated to non-members. From an MCC perspective, wouldn't that be worse?

So will the MCC implement their new blockbuster policy for Friday night's Pies/Cats game and let the public in?

With AFL/public seats sold out and some inclement weather on the cards, there's a real possibility of a repeat of last year's prelim fiasco with large portions of walk up seats going unused. MCC promised that if this looked like happening they would open it up to provisional members and then the public.

If they do then when/how do they do it? Do they sneak a tweet out at 7:49pm not giving people enough time?
Zero chance the public ends up sitting there on Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the fiasco reminder. It's always handy to jog your memory as to what we need to be outraged by.

Just curious as to how the opposite situation would rate out the fiasco scale: i.e. members missing out on seats due to them being allocated to non-members. From an MCC perspective, wouldn't that be worse?

As one who is very cynical of the MCCs influence on AFL footy (its the bloody landlord), I'll believe it when I see it.

You always hear how they have 150k members or something and 23k seats.

Empty seats at sold-out events aren’t acceptable. Use it or lose it. If it happens again, reduce the MCC reserve by one bay. Keep doing that as long as it happens at sold-out events. We’ll find the correct size for it eventually.

150k members. Barely 10% turned up excluding guest passes. Extremely big cultural problems within the club if only 10% of members turn up. Compare this to the AFL members, who sell out tickets in 30 minutes.

Something needs to change.

You always hear how they have 150k members or something and 23k seats.

Empty seats at sold-out events aren’t acceptable. Use it or lose it. If it happens again, reduce the MCC reserve by one bay. Keep doing that as long as it happens at sold-out events. We’ll find the correct size for it eventually.

It'd be a step to let the general public know a crowd break up, GA, competing club members, AFL members & MCC members, they are there I have no doubt, just Caro to ask?

150k members. Barely 10% turned up excluding guest passes. Extremely big cultural problems within the club if only 10% of members turn up. Compare this to the AFL members, who sell out tickets in 30 minutes.

Something needs to change.
You do realise you can’t just suspend your membership right? So who knows how many of those memberships are for people based overseas, interstate etc and don’t want to give up their membership.

AFL ones sell out all the time because the ticket area has been merged with the Premiership club (now known as the Medallion club). Plenty of tickets sold out to corporates as a result at the start of the season.

You do realise you can’t just suspend your membership right? So who knows how many of those memberships are for people based overseas, interstate etc and don’t want to give up their membership.

This can be applied to any club membership. I assume thousands of Collingwood members are overseas or live interstate, yet we always get more than 10% of our members turning up to not only the biggest games of our season, but also the smallest games of the season. And that's not only Collingwood, it applies to smaller clubs like GWS as well.

The major problem with the MCC is this stupid walkup system. People dont want to wait in line for hours just to get a seat, so they'll just stay home instead. Make every seat available for reservation, and I can guarantee you, the 2018 prelim incident wont happen again.

AFL ones sell out all the time because the ticket area has been merged with the Premiership club (now known as the Medallion club). Plenty of tickets sold out to corporates as a result at the start of the season.

AFL members also has 90,000 less members. To add to this, they also have plenty of interstate and overseas members. Yet they still sellout, with tons of supporters missing out.

This can be applied to any club membership. I assume thousands of Collingwood members are overseas or live interstate, yet we always get more than 10% of our members turning up to not only the biggest games of our season, but also the smallest games of the season. And that's not only Collingwood, it applies to smaller clubs like GWS as well.

The major problem with the MCC is this stupid walkup system. People dont want to wait in line for hours just to get a seat, so they'll just stay home instead. Make every seat available for reservation, and I can guarantee you, the 2018 prelim incident wont happen again.

AFL members also has 90,000 less members. To add to this, they also have plenty of interstate and overseas members. Yet they still sellout, with tons of supporters missing out.

The AFL members is chockers how often?
The MCC members chockers how often?

Just the GF, not even then?

The AFL members is chockers how often?
The MCC members chockers how often?

Just the GF, not even then?
AFL members sold out within half an hour for the Qualifying final on Friday. The MCC is yet to sell out all their reserved seats. The AFL members sells out ANZAC Day every year, as well as the big games. AFL members sold out the prelim in 20 minutes last season. The MCC couldn't even sell out the prelim final last year.

The AFL members has sold out every year since 2007 for the Grand Final. The MCC struggles to fill out if an interstate team is playing. Just look at the 2015 GF.

No idea about club membership but with AFL membership you can suspend it for the season and not lose it. You cannot stop your MCC without losing it and having to wait 18 or however many years it is now to get offered provisional again.

As I’ve already said the AFL members loses tickets to the Medallion Club. Have no idea how many but I know a fair bit of level 2 is used by corporates all year. Of course it’s going to sell out when you’ve got corporates and paying members who have chosen to renew their membership for the year rather than defer. All the members want to go to the footy.

Yes the walk up system can lead to the rare situation where some seats don’t get filled. That doesn’t mean the rest of the public should just be able to waltz in.

My theory is that the waiting list fuels this. There would be loads of MCC members who aren't really engaged and only go once or twice a year, if at all, but don't give it up because of the percieved sunk cost from spending 20+ years on the waiting list. You have 100,000 members, but I wouldn't be surprised if only half of them actually go to 3+ events a year.
More than a couple of people out there who would tell you "yeah I'm a member but I never use it".

AFL membership by contrast, I think is taken up more by people who have a genuine interest in going to neutral events or just really love anything footy, which is why games sell out more regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back