• Stupendous

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Amazing

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I love him

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He handled it well publically but I think he would of questioned the appointment of Sloane privately.

There is nothing wrong with that as I don't know anyone in a leadership position who wouldn't. Very different if they were apponted joint Captains at the same time but to be in the role for a number of years and see someone elevated for no real reason would make anyone doubt themselves even slightly.

It's the correct call, just like Walsh making him the captain in 2015 was the correct call. No one can deny that he put his heart and soul into leading the club. Just a shame that injuries and our shitty gameplan have blunted his effectiveness as a player the last two years.

On a side note, I hope this means he can go back to speaking his mind on Twitter.

Says a lot about the club that Walker is burnt out on captaincy by recent events, when compared with the totality of his captaincy.

Anyway, the forthcoming Smith/Talia(VC) reign is an opportunity for a new beginning.

he deserved to be a premiership captain. was only 2 bad quarters away from being it

thanks tex. you've been on par with Roo as our best captain

Thanks Tex.

Carried the club through the darkest time and nearly got us to premiership glory.

Fully understand why he stepped down after being relentlessly slammed since the GF.

Well done Tex, 2nd longest standing captain in club history, enjoy the substantially lighter load.

Hope to see you back to your best in 2020!

Don't look at the comments on the AFL or the Advertiser page.

It's criminal that some of these people are allowed to breed and vote.

Well done, Texan. Thanks for putting everything into the club over the last 5 years. A break is well deserved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ever someone had the excuse to step away from the game for mental health issues it’s Tex.
What a legend.
Onwards and upwards from here mate!
Well said Frog-man. The poor bastard has had more than his share of obstacles thrown at him, he's earned the right to focus on just him / his family for a while. Would love to see him come up next year and kick 60+, and just start enjoying his footy again.

Big thanks to Tex for being a great captain. I'll never question his dedication to our club.

Will Sloane take over now? I'd prefer Talia to take over as sole captain personally.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sadly, the right move going forward.
Great leader. Thanks Walsh for appointing him. He was the correct decision at the time.
What I would have given to see him as a premiership captain to stick it up the media and to cap off the Walsh era.
Unfortunately dreams don't come true at the AFC :(

you are a club legend Tex, great service as skipper in the most difficult circumstances imaginable.

Also an individual with personality, refreshing to see.

Walsh was spot on to see that the Texan was a natural leader and authentic, which is exactly what he wanted the club to be.

Not unexpected. He had apparently been saying "he was thinking about it" and as Mark Bickley said, when the captain says that, it usually means they're stepping down.

A good move on Tex's part, he has been an outstanding captain and now is the time to free himself up, hand on the baton, and focus on his 60m bombs :)

Unfortunately, this will be seen by some in the context of The Review. In any other time/situation, it would be perfectly normal/uncontroversial for Tex to stand down, but right here and now, people with an agenda will associate the two things. But we supporters know better.

Back