List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t believe we are going after a 32 year old ruckman.
You don't have to believe it yet, but I'd steel myself for 6 weeks time ...
Interesting who leads the ruck next year if we get both Jacobs and Ceglar. Just cant see us getting anything worthwhile pickwise from Hawks for Patton so Ceglar seems like the best bet.
I'm of a similar view. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Ceglar's a great ruckman, but rather than get a low pick that doesn't help us much, and given that we need to (or at least should have to) replace both Dawson & Mummy, I'd prefer to get Ceglar as at least a useful contribution. There at least could be a competition as to who works best with our mids.

Worst case scenario for me will be that we have to pay for RFA Jacobs, get a nothing pick for Patton, don't trade in Ceglar, and keep Mummy on the list.

When dealing with Hawthorn Nuffies next year, in inevitable threads about the contract status of one Lachie Whitfield, one need only point them in the direction of this week’s episode of The Footy Phil, to demonstrate that said Lachie Whitfield ain’t goin’ nowhere.

When dealing with Hawthorn Nuffies next year, in inevitable threads about the contract status of one Lachie Whitfield, one need only point them in the direction of this week’s episode of The Footy Phil, to demonstrate that said Lachie Whitfield ain’t goin’ nowhere.
What did it say? Can you help the lazy guy who doesn’t want to listen know?

You don't have to believe it yet, but I'd steel myself for 6 weeks time ...

I'm of a similar view. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Ceglar's a great ruckman, but rather than get a low pick that doesn't help us much, and given that we need to (or at least should have to) replace both Dawson & Mummy, I'd prefer to get Ceglar as at least a useful contribution. There at least could be a competition as to who works best with our mids.

Worst case scenario for me will be that we have to pay for RFA Jacobs, get a nothing pick for Patton, don't trade in Ceglar, and keep Mummy on the list.

I'm fairly sure Ceglar is a free agent.

And he is a good tap ruckman, as he showed in Canberra when he pantsed your ruckmen. Probably not the greatest kick and has a large turning circle, but would be a significant up-grade on your current ruckmen.

What did it say? Can you help the lazy guy who doesn’t want to listen know?

Just the way he spoke about Cogs re-signing. “All these other clubs are trying to take our players” and then when Phil spoke about the media scrutiny/crazy speculation when Darling or Kennedy injured his shin at training, went off, got it strapped and finished the training session, but by the end of the weekend it was “season over” in the WA media - and Lachie was like “thank god we don’t have to put up with that, I’d hate having to live where the media is so intense etc etc.”

He doesn’t like the fishbowl and that’s all Melbourne is.

I'm fairly sure Ceglar is a free agent.

And he is a good tap ruckman, as he showed in Canberra when he pantsed your ruckmen. Probably not the greatest kick and has a large turning circle, but would be a significant up-grade on your current ruckmen.
Lore has him marked as 'Uncontracted' rather than 'Free Agent' in the D&T thread, and she's pretty on her game with the contract aspects. I reckon we'll need to trade - hence the link to the mooted Patton trade.

And I hold my view that he's not that great a ruckman - but yes, better than the 2 lumps of coal that we've been hauling around this year unfortunately. Hence why we want new ones!

Lore has him marked as 'Uncontracted' rather than 'Free Agent' in the D&T thread, and she's pretty on her game with the contract aspects. I reckon we'll need to trade - hence the link to the mooted Patton trade.

And I hold my view that he's not that great a ruckman - but yes, better than the 2 lumps of coal that we've been hauling around this year unfortunately. Hence why we want new ones!
He will do the job better and cheaper than any others we may be looking at until Flynn and Briggs are ready.

He will do the job better and cheaper than any others we may be looking at until Flynn and Briggs are ready.
I agree. We're not selling the house (not that we can - it's too heavily mortgaged) for a top ruckman, just an adequate placeholder until one (or both) of Flynn/Briggs becomes viable in first grade. Damn shame that Flynn went down with an ACL - puts his progress back by at least a year, plus it means we will need a second ruckman as standby in case of injury. (Which is why I have a feeling we may keep Mummy.)

Talk Brisbane is into Ceglar. He would be a good pick up for us.

RE Whitfield, on the podcast when asked about the Coniglio signing he stressed loyalty and staying for less and as mentioned did talk about other teams taking our players.

His management will no doubt ask him to hold off signing as long as possible as that will maximise his contract by creating disruption but he’s always been good in the past and signed relatively early.

He hates the fishbowl with a passion and he does love the lifestyle in Sydney so I think provided we are competitive with our offer (he’s our best player so we will be) I think he will stay.

Jezza on the other hand could be more of a battle. Not that he’s not loyal, more the fact Geelong is throwing the kitchen sink at him to replace Hawkins and Geelong geographically is a good fit as it’s closest to his home town.

Again I still feel he will stay as he’s too important for the team so we will do what we need too. The salary cap is over 12.7 mill so you can accommodate multiple players at a high level.

The flip side is we will lose guys like Patton, probably Tomlinson and Bonar and next year holding onto draftees Caldwell and Hately will be difficult as they will be tempted with big offers.

Caldwell and Hill need to be prioritised as they are definitely best 22 players and offers points of difference. I would hope we tidy some of these guys us soon but suspect their futures may be tied to the big fish deals!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only been at Hawthorn six years so not sure how you figure that.

Discussion on the Hawthorn board when his name comes up as a potential trade. He was on the Hawthorn list as a rookie initially, up-graded after the first year and previous to that was on Collingwood's list. I'm uncertain if rookie years and being on another club's list contributes to time in the system when it comes to calculating free agency.

Discussion on the Hawthorn board when his name comes up as a potential trade. He was on the Hawthorn list as a rookie initially, up-graded after the first year and previous to that was on Collingwood's list. I'm uncertain if rookie years and being on another club's list contributes to time in the system when it comes to calculating free agency.
Rookie years do, years at other clubs do not.

I think the club has done amazingly well with player retention. The key the majority of successful sides over the past 20 years (swans, cats, hawks, eagles, lions) is to build a core group of in key positions and then you can largely have role players fill out the remaining spots in the 22.

If you look at the players signed for at least the next 2 yeas plus

Haynes Davis
Taylor
Kelly Taranto Coniglio
Greene MDB
Daniels HH
Hopper Ward

That’s a dozen out of a best 22 who are A grade players. If we can lock up Williams, Whitfield and particularly Cameron (structurally most important) then we have 15 out of our best 22 locked in and pretty much rusted on Giants. If either Flynn/Briggs can step up in the near future or we can get a more than serviceable ruck such as Jacobs I think we are only just coming into our prime with the players on our list.

If we have that core locked away then anyone else is tradable and replaceable at the same time (doesn’t mean I don’t want to keep them). It also makes it understandable for any of the young mods to want out in the short term given opportunities will be very limited given we have 6 or 7 Elite mids in their prime already.

Last edited:
Tom Morris saying sharenburg from the pies is gettable. He is 23 and was very highly rated in his draft year as the best rebounding defender in that pool. A few knee injuries have smashed his career. He could be a ready made heater replacement should he move on.

This would obviously be dependent on him passing a thorough medical and us getting him cheap

Tom Morris saying sharenburg from the pies is gettable. He is 23 and was very highly rated in his draft year as the best rebounding defender in that pool. A few knee injuries have smashed his career. He could be a ready made heater replacement should he move on.

This would obviously be dependent on him passing a thorough medical and us getting him cheap

He’s a good player but with our medical team I’d be nervous with a repeat ACL offender.

On another note how good is Willie Rioli....we literally missed him by a draft pick, Caruso loved him. So poised and silky, exactly what we are missing although I can see young Bobby Hill being a replica.

He’s a good player but with our medical team I’d be nervous with a repeat ACL offender.

On another note how good is Willie Rioli....we literally missed him by a draft pick, Caruso loved him. So poised and silky, exactly what we are missing although I can see young Bobby Hill being a replica.
And how about Jetta from half back? He is on fire! Such long, penetrating kicks tearing into the middle of the ground

If it were a history of soft tissue injuries I would hesitate but there is far less convincing research on ACL’s

He is a good player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back