Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucked. The weird thing was it wasn’t what I expected the flu to be like. It came and went in waves.

Yeah that one was bad like that. It convinced me to start getting flu vaccines tho i haven't actually done it yet. meant to this year. Should have.

To ensure people follow the correct process to enter Australia. The process stopped the boats and the hundreds of people who died trying to jump the queue thanks to people traffickers. Sadly these people are not refugees - that seems to have been confirmed by at least three or more courts. They seem like decent people going by all reports but they broke the rules entering illegally.

There is no correct process to "enter Australia" or seek asylum (it means run away and ask for help) and the refugee assessment of Tamils from Sri Lanka is *en bollox anyway. However there is plenty of evidence for genocide and war crimes against Tamils in Sri Lanka up to and after the end of the civil war a decade ago. Its illegal to leave Sri Lanka by boat so when these people go "home" they will face up to five years in prison.

Its not just Dutton. They were advised of their illegal status under Labor. Now Labor want to carry on like this is a Liberal problem. Compassion? As I said I am the biggest softee in the world on matters like this - let them stay. But it is a bigger issue than that.
The process to determine refugee status itself is nominally an apolitical one, so it's irrelevant which party was in power when their application was processed. The point I made was that Dutton himself and Home Affairs more broadly have signed hundreds of exceptions, and yet won't do so this time because it would hurt them politically. That's where the problem lies. The point about him being an utter scumbag of a human being is simply an observation on the evidence provided and not directly as a result of this particular situation.

I also wasn't making a judgement on your compassion, mate. Just saying that book will give perspective on how difficult the 'correct process,' as you yourself called it, is for people who are prospective refugees or asylum seekers, and it may lead to compassion in the broader national debate. It's not as simple as it is here where you can get a passport through a relatively straightforward process and most places you go initially don't require a visa. It renders the notion of 'queue jumpers' ridiculous.

The process to determine refugee status itself is nominally an apolitical one, so it's irrelevant which party was in power when their application was processed. The point I made was that Dutton himself and Home Affairs more broadly have signed hundreds of exceptions, and yet won't do so this time because it would hurt them politically. That's where the problem lies. The point about him being an utter scumbag of a human being is simply an observation on the evidence provided and not directly as a result of this particular situation.

I also wasn't making a judgement on your compassion, mate. Just saying that book will give perspective on how difficult the 'correct process,' as you yourself called it, is for people who are prospective refugees or asylum seekers, and it may lead to compassion in the broader national debate. It's not as simple as it is here where you can get a passport through a relatively straightforward process and most places you go initially don't require a visa. It renders the notion of 'queue jumpers' ridiculous.
Don’t accept that any polly is a ‘scumbag of a human’ and that description of Dutton doesn’t add any value to the discussion. I do agree nothing is simple in these matters but whether we like it or not there is a process and this family, despite being told many times by Labor and Liberal Ministers they had entered the country illegally, were not refugees and would be deported, decided to fight. All courts and appeal levels have upheld that decision. Hardly a Dutton issue yet you choose to make it personal. I am not an expert but in my volunteer work I meet many people trying to gain residence in Australia and I have considerable empathy for them. In this case they queue jumped whether we like to call it that or not. Not me saying this - but all level of legal channels. Sad, but facts. Seem like decent people so it is sad, but the process is the process for good reasons. They are paying the price of being peddled false hope by either people traffickers or local advocates or both.

Don’t accept that any polly is a ‘scumbag of a human’ and that description of Dutton doesn’t add any value to the discussion. I do agree nothing is simple in these matters but whether we like it or not there is a process and this family, despite being told many times by Labor and Liberal Ministers they had entered the country illegally, were not refugees and would be deported, decided to fight. All courts and appeal levels have upheld that decision. Hardly a Dutton issue yet you choose to make it personal. I am not an expert but in my volunteer work I meet many people trying to gain residence in Australia and I have considerable empathy for them. In this case they queue jumped whether we like to call it that or not. Not me saying this - but all level of legal channels. Sad, but facts. Seem like decent people so it is sad, but the process is the process for good reasons. They are paying the price of being peddled false hope by either people traffickers or local advocates or both.
I don't know why you're choosing to not address everything that I've posted.

I accept that their application was rejected. But they initially entered the country with the intention of seeking asylum. That's not illegal, not matter how you enter the country, whether it's by plane, boat, or they swam. Yes, their application was rejected, but that doesn't make them queue jumpers. That term is just a horrible pejorative used to minimise the plight of those who are vulnerable.

The point you're still choosing not to address is that Dutton has ministerial ability to let them stay, and he's used that power hundreds of times before. It's now a political decision to not exercise that power in this case. That makes it personal. He granted visas to au pairs as a favour to his friends ffs, but won't use his power to let a family that's a productive, valued part of their community stay. EDIT: LOL even Alan Jones thinks they should be allowed to stay and that Dutton has acted terribly:

"I find the government’s behaviour on this, and that of Peter Dutton, beyond disgraceful. Is this the same Peter Dutton, and Immigration Minister David Coleman, who personally intervened last year to stop two au pairs who were to be deported. The former deputy secretary of the immigration department is on the record as saying, in the last 72 hours, it is quite clear that if you look at the ministerial guidelines this case meets those guidelines more clearly than the two au pair cases, in which Minister Dutton acted within hours. Ministerial intervention powers are designed to cater to where a person’s not met the legal requirement for a visa but because of humanitarian or national interest grounds the government intervenes."

EDIT: Oh, and whatever side of politics you follow, come on, Dutton is absolutely a ******* reprehensible human being. Just look at the stuff he's said and done. Do you want me to list them?

Last edited:
I don't know why you're choosing to not address everything that I've posted.

I accept that their application was rejected. But they initially entered the country with the intention of seeking asylum. That's not illegal, not matter how you enter the country, whether it's by plane, boat, or they swam. Yes, their application was rejected, but that doesn't make them queue jumpers. That term is just a horrible pejorative used to minimise the plight of those who are vulnerable.

The point you're still choosing not to address is that Dutton has ministerial ability to let them stay, and he's used that power hundreds of times before. It's now a political decision to not exercise that power in this case. That makes it personal. He granted visas to au pairs as a favour to his friends ffs, but won't use his power to let a family that's a productive, valued part of their community stay. EDIT: LOL even Alan Jones thinks they should be allowed to stay and that Dutton has acted terribly:

"I find the government’s behaviour on this, and that of Peter Dutton, beyond disgraceful. Is this the same Peter Dutton, and Immigration Minister David Coleman, who personally intervened last year to stop two au pairs who were to be deported. The former deputy secretary of the immigration department is on the record as saying, in the last 72 hours, it is quite clear that if you look at the ministerial guidelines this case meets those guidelines more clearly than the two au pair cases, in which Minister Dutton acted within hours. Ministerial intervention powers are designed to cater to where a person’s not met the legal requirement for a visa but because of humanitarian or national interest grounds the government intervenes."

EDIT: Oh, and whatever side of politics you follow, come on, Dutton is absolutely a ******* reprehensible human being. Just look at the stuff he's said and done. Do you want me to list them?
Your political motivation is clear so no to need to elaborate. As I said the Labor Minister at the time they applied could also have waved the magic wand and did not yet he escapes any criticism. All layers of courts - same decision. I am not an expert in this area but back all of those judgements over your or my opinions, especially those politically motivated or emotionally charged. If the current court case falls in their favour then great. If not, they have to go back. Hope it does fall for them - as I said I have no hatred for people like this family who are trying to better themselves, but it has to be done correctly. Good luck to them - I hope they win their case and stay. But if not, then so be it. Smarter people than me are making these decisions and not all are pollies.

Last edited:
Your political motivation is clear so no to need to elaborate. As I said the Labor Minister at the time they applied could also have waved the magic wand and did not yet he escapes any criticism. All layers of courts - same decision. I am not an expert in this area but back all of those judgements over your or my opinions, especially those politically motivated or emotionally charged. If the current court case falls in their favour then great. If not, they have to go back. Hope it does fall for them - as I said I have no hatred for people like this family who are trying to better themselves, but it has to be done correctly. Good luck to them - I hope they win their case and stay. But if not, then so be it. Smarter people than me are making these decisions and not all are pollies.
Again you're not addressing the point about Dutton's actual powers to grant visas and his history of doing so for mates. Don't get me wrong, mate, I have a lot of respect for you, but this is hardly a discussion in good faith.

My political motivation is irrelevant. I'm simply stating the facts, and I've already acknowledged a few times that I accept that their formal application for refugee status was rejected. But let's leave it there.

Again you're not addressing the point about Dutton's actual powers to grant visas and his history of doing so for mates. Don't get me wrong, mate, I have a lot of respect for you, but this is hardly a discussion in good faith.

My political motivation is irrelevant. I'm simply stating the facts, and I've already acknowledged a few times that I accept that their formal application for refugee status was rejected. But let's leave it there.
Yep - lets. Hope they kick a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the post-democratic order he saw taking shape was “a tightly controlled spectacle managed by rival teams of professional experts in the techniques of persuasion”, in which the interests of multinationals and big businesses would always trump “the political importance of ordinary working people”, especially with the withering away of unions.

From here it was a short step to today’s Westminster of “retail politics“, parties touting their “offer“ and the apparatus of marketing. For a while, the sorcerers of the new post-democratic system could buy our consent, as long as house prices kept rising and cheap credit could be thrust down our throats. But then came the banking crisis, which just showed our debt was the financiers’ credit and that they would always collect.

Yes I will be. Speaking of movies, going to watch IT Chapter 2 tonight.
Let me know whether it compares to the original.

As for the joker movie, I love everything about it, including its take on mental illness.

Let me know whether it compares to the original.

As for the joker movie, I love everything about it, including its take on mental illness.
Been consuming ITC2 previews the whole week. Apparently more gruesome, gore than the original along with the other genres that comes with Stephen Kings books.

Yes I will be. Speaking of movies, going to watch IT Chapter 2 tonight.

One of those rare times where the book is better than the movie by far (for the first one at least).

I hope chapter 2 is an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back