Preview Second Qualifying Final, Saturday 7th September 2019, 7.25pm. v Tigers @ the Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna start compiling the list of best Richmond nuffs. Edited for dramatic effects

OUr gaMepLAN standS uP IN FiNAls
YOU ThInK We WILL Have 1 iNside 50 tACKle foR ThE GaMe?
MARTin aNd CoTcHIN wILL sPeNd MORe TIme in MidFIelD
lYncH AnD rIEWOLDT wILl tOWEL Up younG aNDrEws ANd spUD gArDineR
yOU ThiNK wE will Let LoCHie nEalE hAVe 50 tOucHes AgAIN?
yOU thiNk WE WIll lEt mccLUGgagE roam fReeLY aGAiN?
nAnKerVIs is CoMinG bacK And WiLL sMASH MarTiN & BIG o

BeArS hAvEn'T bEaTeN uS iN yEaRs. TiGeR ArMy, RoAr

I thought that too but then I thought crafty old bugger. I’m guessing his aim is to negate the fact at some stage we have to win this thing away from home. By saying we have no home advantage he might really be sending the message that no one else does either. He knows the reality of it I’m sure but maybe he is using it as a way to build some away confidence for the boys.

Great point. I reckon you are right.

BeArS hAvEn'T bEaTeN uS iN yEaRs. TiGeR ArMy, RoAr

I try and ignore them, but they are truely the absolute worst. LOL

'I reckin we will shite all over these bears campaigners just like we did the E-Girls, this is like 17 but we are better, no-one is even touching us this year, we are lock for the flag, got a real good feeling'

Do we really need a list when a group of their supporters tried to take over the board and sack Hardwick not too long before they won a flag? They're an odd bunch.

I thought it was a good thing when they won the flag in 2017. I was pleased for them and their long suffering supporters.

Now I am sick of them.

Like I got sick of Geelong after 2011.

I would have a real dilemma if they played the Pies in the GF.

I might even have to "barrack" for the Pies

Might.:think:

We really need Hipwood and McStay to have big impacts in this one. Big forwards for the big games!
McStay especially. Just needs to compete and nullify their plus one and it will go a long way to winning the game. If we can turn those Richmond rebound 50's from last game into forward 50 stoppages it will go a long way to kicking a winning score.

David King says if we don't tag Martin we can't win. Could be right. Nick Riewoldt says that we did a lot right against the Tigers in round 23 and still got bashed in parts of the game. Probably true too. Another way of looking at it is they gave us their best shot at home and we only lost by 4.5 goals. Welcome to the Gabba Tiges.

Last edited:
David King says if we don't tag Martin we can't win. Could be right. Nick Riewoldt says that we did a lot right against the Tigers in round 23 and still got bashed in parts of the game. Probably true too. Another way of looking at it is they gave is their best shot at home and we only lose by 4.5 goals. Welcome to the Gabba Tiges.

Do think we need to tag Dusty. Berry should probably get the gig and be told just stick to him like glue.

Really need to keep a watch on Vlastuin too. I thought he was probably their best or second best on the day. He ate up everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do find it a bit funny that the "journalist" who writes the Neds preview for the game is named "Ned Merrett-Murray"

Ned Merrett-Murray is Neds resident Brisbane Lions nuffie. The child of the ultimate Brisbane Lions parents, whose mother rattled tins to save Fitzroy and Dad dined with Christopher Skase at Carrara, Ned was a Brisbane Lions diehard from birth. Ned constantly reminds his wife and kids that 2001, 02 and 03 Grand Final’s were the best days of his life and nothing compares to it. Ned never misses a game, training session, JLT, AFLW, NEAFL and Fitzroy Ammos match. Ned lives in Woolongabba with his wife Leigh and twins Chris and Brad and pet fish Vossy, Browny and Blacky.

I'm not overly gung ho about our prospects. Sure we can win but they still seemed to have our measure last week in my view. We were a bit tired and can improve but maybe so can they.

The key is not to let them get right on top of us like they did early. Stay right in the game and let the adrenalin and the home advantage give us wings.

Certainly our brains trust will have done a lot of homework on last time ,we'll be better prepared , maybe throw a curve ball ourselves.

Martin tore us to bits in the first quarter. I'm unsure whether we should have a hard tag , the coaches will have had a long think about this so the early match ups will be interesting. Their forwards don't actually worry me , it's how they were able to bring it in that was the issue and that's the area of the game we need to focus on , including our centre square clearances.

I'm not overly gung ho about our prospects. Sure we can win but they still seemed to have our measure last week in my view. We were a bit tired and can improve but maybe so can they.
I was more optimistic a week or so ago and now I'm hopeful we just don't get blown off the park.

If we don't get off to a decent start, it could all be over by quarter time. AFL360 showed a stat tonight that 85% of teams leading at quarter time in finals win. Our first quarters are by far are worst quarters so far this season (won 11, lost 11 (points differential of minus 6 compared to say our best quarter (3rd) which is won 16, lost 5, drawn 1 and a points differential of plus 191).

The other stat that concerns me is that Richmond has won the past 6 encounters at the Gabba (and since 2005, we've beaten them once, drawn one and lost 17) by an average winning margin of 40 points (19, 31, 48, 43, 79 and 52).

Those stats just make for horrible, horrible reading and if we were to win, would be even more the remarkable and special IMO.

As far as King's point tonight about tagging Martin, I would have Mitch Robinson close checking and following him all day and IMO is the only player that could really do the job. Given Fox keep replaying our last game against Richmond and having now seen it 5-6 times, Berry was pretty ineffectual against Martin and I'd be against trying that.

The key is not to let them get right on top of us like they did early. Stay right in the game and let the adrenalin and the home advantage give us wings.

Certainly our brains trust will have done a lot of homework on last time ,we'll be better prepared , maybe throw a curve ball ourselves.

Martin tore us to bits in the first quarter. I'm unsure whether we should have a hard tag , the coaches will have had a long think about this so the early match ups will be interesting. Their forwards don't actually worry me , it's how they were able to bring it in that was the issue and that's the area of the game we need to focus on , including our centre square clearances.

I think if you play this game 100 times Richmond probably win 70 times.

If we do lose it's just because Richmond are a better team. They've been a force for three years now and are right in the middle of their window. We're just getting started.

Nothing from here is a negative in terms of our overall season.

Do think we need to tag Dusty. Berry should probably get the gig and be told just stick to him like glue.

Really need to keep a watch on Vlastuin too. I thought he was probably their best or second best on the day. He ate up everything.
My biggest concern is actually more to do with the quick turn over after a crazy bomb into our 50, and rebounding through the centre of the ground to deliver lace out to a strong leading Riewoldt. That's what ultimately killed us early in the game.

The rest of it, I'm really excited to see how we match up.

I know we have a healthy rivalry but I want to wish you well for Saturday. Your club has done so well over the last 2 years.
I’m not here to wish the Lions luck, I don’t believe in it and your team doesn’t need it. The 2019 Lions are good enough without relying on any luck.
This will be a much different game than two weeks ago against the Tigers.
You guys didn’t play anywhere near your best in rnd 23 and the Tigers played pretty well.
Lessons have been learned, and most of it is about executing a little better. Your players fumbled the ball and dropped marks at times. It won’t happen at home.
No doubt, Fagan and his team will have some strategies to counter a couple of the things that went wrong. You will control the corridor this time.
I know some of you guys may be nervous, but don’t be. This will be a comfortable win after a tight first half.
Lions by 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back