Prediction 2019 Carlton Player Movement Prediction Thread [NOW 58% SIMPLER]

Remove this Banner Ad

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
We all know how much activity has been going on in the List Management and Bluemour Discussion Threads (and in the case of a few special posters, discussion in the 'no discussion' thread). There's been chest-pumping, shade thrown, big calls, flip-flopping and in general, a lot of names and deals being thrown around.

So I thought it'd be a good idea to create a record for posterity and bragging rights. A thread to be closed shortly (can edit responses in one post prior to its closing) whereby we can all keep track of how right or (more likely) how very, very wrong most of us are when making calls this far out.

Whether you're an ITK poster, an OTK poster or a MSU poster - I want to see you put your money where your mouth is.

So the rules are simple:
1. Write down what you think will happen in our off-season FA, trade and draft period - however much or little detail you wish
2. Sit back and laugh out how wrong you are in a few months

I'll set up some polls once we get some traction in replies.

I'll go first.

2019 Carlton Player Movement Predictions
Total List Changes: 8
Total Live Draft Selections: 3
Rookie Draft Elevations (amount and name/s): 1 (M. Gibbons)

Trade Activity

Jack Martin and 2020 R3 Pick (~38) traded for 2020 2nd Round pick and Levi Casboult
Tom Papley
traded for 2019 R1 (Pick 8)
Andrew Phillips traded to Geelong for 2019 R3 (Pick 54)
Pick 54
on-traded to Adelaide along with 2019 R4 (Pick 67) for Sam Jacobs and Eddie Betts
Dan Butler
traded for 2019 R3 (Pick 44)

Leaves us with 2020 First Round (with permission from AFL) to trade for another big-name player this year or next. Also gives us Pick 39 and an extra pick in 2020 to move back into the 2nd/3rd round for 2019 draft.

Free Agent Signings

Darcy Cameron (DFA)

Notable Coaching Changes

Luke Power
(Development Coach)
Chris Newman (Development/VFL Coach)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
We all know how much activity has been going on in the List Management and Bluemour Discussion Threads (and in the case of a few special posters, discussion in the 'no discussion' thread). There's been chest-pumping, shade thrown, big calls, flip-flopping and in general, a lot of names and deals being thrown around.

So I thought it'd be a good idea to create a record for posterity and bragging rights. A thread to be closed shortly (can edit responses in one post prior to its closing) whereby we can all keep track of how right or (more likely) how very, very wrong most of us are when making calls this far out.

Whether you're an ITK poster, an OTK poster or a MSU poster - I want to see you put your money where your mouth is.

So the rules are simple:
1. Copy/paste the below set of questions into a blank reply
2. Populate/override the spaces with what you think will happen in our off-season FA, trade and draft period
3. Sit back and laugh out how wrong you are

I'll set up some polls once we get some traction in replies.

I'll go first.

2019 Carlton Player Movement Predictions
Total List Changes: 8
Total Live Draft Selections: 3
Rookie Draft Elevations (amount and name/s): 1 (M. Gibbons)

Trade Activity (Name, Details of deal/trade)
Write the names of the players you think will join Carlton and the cost/details of the trade (explain workings if its getting complicated)

Jack Martin and 2019 R1 (Pick 17*) traded to Carlton for 2019 R1 (Pick 8) and 2020 R3 (~44)
Eddie Betts traded to Carlton for 2019 R4 (Pick 67)
Tom Papley, Darcy Cameron, 2019 R2 pick (23) and 2020 R3 (~40) traded to Carlton for 2019 R1 Pick (17*) and 2020 R1 Pick (~8)

Above leaves us with Picks 23, 39, 44 and 80 in the 2019 Draft, as well as Round 2, 3, 4 and 5 Picks for 2020.

Steve Silvagni Genius Moment (Trade heist, moment, deal)

After going back and forth with Sydney on Tom Papley, SOS and the Blues strike a deal late in the Trade Period to get their man - getting young big man Darcy Cameron on top.

Free Agent Signings

Nil

Notable Coaching Changes

Add highly-rated senior assistant coach to help Teague.

Carlton FC Player Movement Period Headline/s

"Blues get their men"
"Betts Homecoming"

Overall Carlton Player Movement ‘Grade’

A (if we come away with Martin and Papley or one of the discussed midfielders, then it can only be seen as a win).

Matty great thread, but tough, will need some time to think about each area

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Matty great thread, but tough, will need some time to think about each area
Sorry Matty I don't computer like that. Good thread though!
Matty411 - great idea mate - but just reading it all has me dazed and confused - even more than usual!
Cheers guys. Essentially, just a prediction for what y'all think will go down come draft/player movement time.

Doesn't have to be as specific/rigid as above - just your rough thoughts atm.

bluegus

Rookie
Dec 11, 2010
mission beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Three team trade:
Blues get Papley and pick 13
Swans get Casboult, pick 11 and Blues 2020 3rd round
GWS get Cameron, pick 8 and Blues 2020 2nd round.

Trade pick 39 for Butler

Trade pick 67 or higher uf we can foe Betts

Use pick 13, which will probably be 15/16 to draft Cody Weightman.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Great thread matty my man.

I actually would have predicted very, very similar trades to yourself.

I think the club and SOS will be very very keen to add Papley and Martin. I think Eddie will happen just for the romance of it (extra 5k members right there).

Cameron I couldn't care less about. If he happens for cheap that's cool. If it doesn't happen I won't blink an eye.

Also think sos will have another trade up his sleave that hasn't even been discussed ala Newman last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Three team trade:
Blues get Papley and pick 13
Swans get Casboult, pick 11 and Blues 2020 3rd round
GWS get Cameron, pick 8 and Blues 2020 2nd round.

Trade pick 39 for Butler

Trade pick 67 or higher uf we can foe Betts

Use pick 13, which will probably be 15/16 to draft Cody Weightman.

I would be happy to hand you back pick #72 if we got #39 for Butler
#72 you could use to get Cameron from the swans

I'm pretty much in agreement with Matty on who we will get.

Martin, Papley, Betts, Jacobs and Butler will come in. I want Sam Gray but that doesn't look likely. Butler is a chance not to come though because he will see himself as our 3rd small forward at best.

The club is conditioning us for some veterans to come in and there is romance in Eddie and Sauce.

Darcy Cameron depends on Levi staying or going, unless we delist Phillips. I think the club would happily allow Kreuzer, Jacobs and Phillips to share first duties depending on injuries, with Levi in the side as a spare KPP and second ruck. TDK the long term number one in waiting.

Will settle my thoughts a bit later.

We may pull out a Tom Cutler type unexpectedly.

Papley and Swans 3rd round 2020 for pick 8 this year
Martin for 2020 second round
Cameron as delisted FA
2020 third (ours or Swans) for Butler
2020 first and Phillips to Cats for Duncan
Betts for swap of late 2020 picks
This years second round onwards picks to be used or live traded with clubs needing to pick Academy players

AFL would need to give ok for using first round picks this and next year. Should be okay given we have had multiple for several years now.

Jack Martin: 2020 2nd + Harrison Macreadie
Tom Papley: Pick 8
Dan Butler: 67 + 80
Pick 42 (from Brisbane): Carlton 2020 3rd

Leaves us with 39, 42, 44 to go to the draft with

Leaves us with 1st, 4th, 5th next year.

Potentially trading out our 1st rounder next year IF there is a good enough player available for it. Would get a future 2nd back with it.

2020 Best 22

B: Plowman - Jones - Weitering
HB: Docherty - Marchbank - Petrevski-Seton
C: Dow - Cripps - Walsh
HF: Silvagni - Curnow - Martin
F: McGovern - McKay - Papley
R: Kreuzer - Curnow - Murphy
IC: Newman - Simpson - Fisher - Setterfield
EMG: Cuningham - Kennedy - Casboult

O'Brien - Butler - Stocker - Gibbons - Lang - DeLuca - Phillips - Williamson - B Silvagni - Polson - Owies - O'Dwyer - Goddard - De Koning - Cottrell - Draft Picks

Not participating until it's at least 55% simpler :p

**** I guess I have to now...

Trades

Pick 8 for Papely
Marchbank (this won't be popular here) + Pick 39 for picks 23, 57, 58, 76
*EDIT: Maybe swap Marchbank for 2020 2nd rounder. That plus 39 miiiiiiight interest the Swans*
Pick 23 for Martin
Pick 44 for Butler
Pick 57 for Betts
Pick 58 for a fringe player

Draft
Pick 76 for a draftee that is more unknown/project than Finbar O'Dwyer
Pick ~80 (once everybody has passed) on a draftee that has hardly played in the last three years due to injury
Pick ~81 to upgrade Gibbo

Other
Max Lynch as DFA
Another DFA
Maybe 2020 1st plus change for Viney/Wines/Crouch

Last edited:
Marchbank

Where there's smoke there's usually fire. So sadly I think you could be right and you're right, I hate it more than almost anything

I would not be trading Marchbank unless we had another <26 year old gun KPD coming back and certainly not in a convoluted trade for Papley.

Yes, Papley is good but mark my words. When we're contending and Liam is at the end we will be crying out for Marchbank. It could easily become the difference between a premiership and an also ran.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back