Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm trialling a new stats collection method. Decided to trial it on the first quarter against PA, as I wanted to see that again.

The stats collected were a ball dispute won, halved or lost. A fair bit of qualitative analysis comes into it. For example, of Player A kicks it lace out to Player B, who fluffs the mark despite having a bit of separation, yet the opponent doesn't win the contest, I label that a loss. Further, it takes a bit of qualitative analysis as to when the ball is actually in dispute on the ground. I've also included a player gaining separation on an opponent when they're both aware the ball is headed their direction as a contest win.

I also included the ruck as a 'contest'.

The Goldstein stat didn't surprise me. For that quarter, he won 10 contests, split it 50/50 for 7, and lost just 4.

The big surprise for me was Ziebell. He won 9 contests around the ground, and lost 1. The next highest was Williams with 6 wins and 0 losses.

I've often doubted the captain's ability to play on the ball, but on re-watch he was instrumental to us jumping Port in that quarter.

Overall we won 50 contests, split 27 and lost 19.

Ziebell, Goldy and Williams won half of our total contests won that quarter.

I'm trialling a new stats collection method. Decided to trial it on the first quarter against PA, as I wanted to see that again.

The stats collected were a ball dispute won, halved or lost. A fair bit of qualitative analysis comes into it. For example, of Player A kicks it lace out to Player B, who fluffs the mark despite having a bit of separation, yet the opponent doesn't win the contest, I label that a loss. Further, it takes a bit of qualitative analysis as to when the ball is actually in dispute on the ground. I've also included a player gaining separation on an opponent when they're both aware the ball is headed their direction as a contest win.

I also included the ruck as a 'contest'.

The Goldstein stat didn't surprise me. For that quarter, he won 10 contests, split it 50/50 for 7, and lost just 4.

The big surprise for me was Ziebell. He won 9 contests around the ground, and lost 1. The next highest was Williams with 6 wins and 0 losses.

I've often doubted the captain's ability to play on the ball, but on re-watch he was instrumental to us jumping Port in that quarter.

Overall we won 50 contests, split 27 and lost 19.

Ziebell, Goldy and Williams won half of our total contests won that quarter.
Ziebells best footy is outstanding. Thats never been the issue.
It’s the consistency to bring a sustained effort each week where he draws criticism.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To our Perth fans and Bigfootyers -

I have been there for a couple of days work and whilst filling up the rental car at the caltex near terminal 1 at the airport, I saw a late model maroon commodore or caprice with the number plate NMFC-ROOS (or something like that - my flights delayed and I've been chugging down the free booze in the lounge so can't quite remember)

You Sir are a champion! I would have said something but you were reversing out of the carpark as I was going in to pay.
It wouldn't be easy driving around there with that plate! You must be strong of mind and a good bluer!

Myself, Bon (the real one) and Malcolm salute you!!

Found my new favourite pub table... Came across this in a pub in Geelong tonight of all places

Anyone North supporter born in the last 30 years will never have seen the club miss finals for more than 3 years.
1990-91-92 and finals in 93.
2009-10-11 and finals in 2012.
2017-18-19 and finals in 2020???

If we fail to make finals next year we break a 30 year hoodoo the we don’t want to. Pressures on.
1993 and 2012 saw some attacking football with some bad losses.

Anyone North supporter born in the last 30 years will never have seen the club miss finals for more than 3 years.
1990-91-92 and finals in 93.
2009-10-11 and finals in 2012.
2017-18-19 and finals in 2020???

If we fail to make finals next year we break a 30 year hoodoo the we don’t want to. Pressures on.
1993 and 2012 saw some attacking football with some bad losses.

Making finals isn't that important to me. Aside from a few outliers, you don't win the flag outside the top 4. Our biggest problem is that we haven't finished there since 2007, and only twice since '99!

Was asked this on the twitters a couple of days ago and didn’t know the answer.

I know that was when we fell off the cliff after straight-setting '83, and that Crazy Horse had returned after a few seasons away. But I was 16 or 17 then, and girls and rock music and stuff might have been a bit more prominent in my priorities than paying minute attention to every detail of a lost season.

Anyone remember why Gary Cowton's last game was in round 1 of his final season? Did he get injured, pull the pin, just dropped never to be recalled?

Eagles fans have gone bananas over Rioli, like Essendon fans did. There's no way it's his fault, apparently.

I'd like to think that I wouldn't be so blind if it happened to a North player, but who knows?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Eagles fans have gone bananas over Rioli, like Essendon fans did. There's no way it's his fault, apparently.

I'd like to think that I wouldn't be so blind if it happened to a North player, but who knows?

I'm happy to win a premiership then see a small forward in the same predicament a year later to truly walk in their shoes.

Back