Preview Changes for the Elimination Final vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Schofield in the team but I reckon his selection is more about the poor form of Barrass which probably isn't the best reason to bring him in.

However, Hutchings is my main concern. His hammy is a ticking time bomb. He had a long break after he did it the first time and then immediately re-injured it. This means he's also had very little football in the past 2 months and to think he could automatically replicate his job on Saad from earlier in the year is very optimistic.

But overall can't be unhappy about the team. Any team with Nic in it is a better side. Put it this way, if we lose to a bog ordinary Essendon on our home patch then we were never more than pretenders anyway.

Nah, Woosh should never have coached those druggies. They treat him like utter crap, all year they keep making up rumours to fire him. Then he keeps exceeding the goalpost so they just make up more. These latest ones are crazy, even after making finals they're saying he needs to win or at least not get belted.

He should just up and leave to one of the other teams looking for a coach. Leave them in a lurch like Lyon did to St Kilda.
The last I heard is the Bombers have said to Woosh "if he wants to return home to Perth at seasons end, they won't stand in his way or hold any grudges"! They're a class mob that lot! Maybe Woosh will do us a favour and throw the game and say "up you" to Essendon🙄

Doing little else? Are you serious

I’d suggest you actually watch his work rate at the game behind the scenes, on the lead, taking 2 defenders most of the time, creating space for the other forwards, equal third in the team last week for tackles... yeah really not doing much at all.

Maybe also watch a replay of any game this year (bar probably the North game) and see how many passes to him go straight over his head on a lead where he is clear of his opponent. Happens about 5 times a game lately.

Hard to kick 70 goals a year when some of the kicks going into 50 this year couldn’t hit the side of a barn door.

Simmo has said repeatedly that JK does plenty more than just kick goals.

Darling goes up the ground, Kennedy doesn’t need to.
The only thing that concerns me about JK is that he appears to have lost a yard in pace - just can't get to the contest sometimes🙁

Might be carrying a little bit of weight but most recent footage shows him in the yellow jumper which is not flattering to any of the players. They all look larger around the guts.
I dont mean as in overweight, I mean as in just huge. Maybe he can tone down and become more aerobic than just a tank

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problems are only going to come when we turn it over in bad spots and they counterattack. I don’t think any more or less talls is going to stop that happening. If anything.. the extra tall is actually allowing Gov to play on his own. Think it’s fairly simple. Hit our targets we win.. don’t, and we’re f’ed.
This was our Hawks game in spades! And lack of contested ball. And tiring in last quarter.
This is what Bombers are copying of course.
If Hutch's hammy hangs loose and NN can pull off Conan the destroyer and the Bombers don't run rings around us, and we've addressed our issues with the Hawks game, and we bring pace and pressure, we might have a good win?
NN always worries me, his weight is his Achilles heel, excuse the pun.
While he serves well as a tap ruckman and a human wrecking ball, he just looks too heavy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone believing that Nic can't be lighter, fitter and more mobile next year is kidding themselves

As brilliant as he can be, I firmly believe he has another level of ability he can reach, but only if he is prepared to slim down and greatly improve his aerobic fitness. Cover more territory, influence more contests, spend more time on the ground.

I was an apologist for Nics fitness for years, but I think we all know, deep down, his fitness can definitely be better.

Next year, after a full pre season, I would be challenging our fitness staff to having him being able to play up to 80% of total game time

Brown isn’t. His height is deceptive, genuinely plays entirely like a medium/small forward. Can’t take a contested mark to save himself, but always one of our highest in kms covered and is ‘reasonable’ at ground level
Brown is 196 cm. Perfect match with Schofield who plays on big and smalls and is a strong runner.

With Nic back, if we win the centre clearances and ground ball that will take the heat off our defenders.

Though essendon are a small chance, Our mids need to be sharp and if we deny essendon their dashing game off half back and slingshot it back into attack, then we are likely to win.

Brown is 196 cm. Perfect match with Schofield who plays on big and smalls and is a strong runner.

Schoefield i think is a better match up for Stringer and Barrass goes to Mitch brown or Shaun Mckernan. that leaves Brad Sheppard who can play on both Tall and smalls.

Last edited:
I have no problem with 3 talls in the backline - indeed, we needed to make a chage of some kind back there.

I am apprehensive about taking in 2x suspect hammies. But given we normally play it safe, our docs must be confident they'll get through so that's good enough for me.

My one real concern is playing Waterman as an extra tall in mid/fwd. I know he can run but I think we are better served with a smaller player. The trouble is I'm not sure Ah Chee or Cameron would serve us any better.

If I had to choose I'd probably have Cameron instead for his tackling pressure.

And congrats to Shuey on the 200th!

Makes you think how we can travel three weeks ina row and not play like that again..
Ta 6 day break
I dont mean as in overweight, I mean as in just huge. Maybe he can tone down and become more aerobic than just a tank

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
might be in the "Genes and T-Shirts" as the saying goes? Some of the Fijians are just huge units like Nic and others have the typical rugby build. But agree would like to see him slim down a bit as all that weight in size must cause stress on his body, particularly being a Ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back