Autopsy 2019: It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times

Remove this Banner Ad

Player ratings for the year, totally off the cuff and definitely all over the shop...
1. Coffield 5 started slowly but really started to show something late on before his shoulder injury. A fair be there methinks.
2. Carlisle 4 missed most of the year with back injury, but ok after coming back, although failed to hit previous heights.
3. Steven 2 out for most of the year with health issues, it will be sad if it's his last year in the red white and black as he wasn't able to show his ability at all this year, although that Freo game was pretty special.
4. Gresham 7.5 started to get the consistency that we crave, and played a few blinders in the midfield. The game against Essendon early on probably the highlight, he's really developing nicely and re-signed which is good.
5. Savage 6 another solid year for Savage, the back half of his year probably better than the front half.
6. Ross 7 had a couple of really good performances, kicking still lets him down at times.
7. Dunstan 6.5 got better as the year went on. He's a meat and potatoes type of midfielder.
8. Acres 5 a bit of a nothing year for him, battled injuries and illness and just never really got going.
9. Steele 7 another solid year. Most tackles in the AFL is pretty great.
10. Hannebery 4 missed most of the year through injury but showed enough late in the year to suggest he can be a very good pickup.
11. Clark 7 brilliant second half of the year, his skills and ability to move through traffic mean he has elite potential. A very exciting prospect.
12. King 3 showed enough in a handful of VFL matches to suggest he could be special.
13. Lonie 6 great start to the year before getting injured and couldn't quite hit that form again after coming back.
14. Geary 3 missed most of the year through injury. We missed him against sides such as Brisbane with dangerous small forwards.
15. Billings 8 his best year, he has become a very consistent player for us on the wing.
16. Newnes 4 his career has really stagnated unfortunately, seemed to do his best work as a defensive forward, but has gone from a solid B grade player to a very average one in the space of about three years. Future up in the air.
17. Roberton 0 missed the entire season with heart issues.
18. Longer 0 missed nearly the whole season with concussion. Gone.
19. Marshall 9 outstanding season, he got better every week and was very rarely beaten.
20. Armo 1 has been a great servant but in the handful of games in the firsts he looked way out of his depth.
21. Long 5 shows glimpses in just about every game but struggles to put together consistent performances. When he's good, he's very good.
22. Brown 5 He is a good stopper but I feel that we need to move past him as his disposal is really poor. Had a decent year though and been a good servant since coming on board.
23. Bytel 0 had the year off with injury, but excited to see what he can do in 2020.
24. Austin 0 injured all year, a bit of a mystery as to what's going on with him, hasn't played in ages.
25. Kent 4 I actually thought he went alright early on and think he can be a pretty good player for us, unfortunately an injury saw him sit out the second half of the year.
26. Battle 7 really excellent, a serious find in the backline, his kicking off both feet is superb. Could eventually become a very handy utility player, one of our best youngsters.
27. Bruce 6 had a really good patch mid-season and took lots of marks, but his kicking is often a cause of frustration. Battles hard every week, but I look forward to the day when Kind replaces him.
28. Membrey 6 he's a really talented player and a good goal-kicker, but he slows the game down too often. Feel like he isn't realising his potential at this stage, still plenty of time though.
29. Webster 3 seemed to sit out for most of the year with injuries, and didn't play at his best when he was in the side. When playing well he's vital, hope we can see him back and firing next year.
30. Phillips 3 just ok. Needs to get the ball more. Kicking is an issue.
31. White 3 consistently in the best for the reserves but consistently overlooked for the ones. Will surely win Sandringham's b and f so deserves some credit.
32. McCartin 0 poor Paddy. He was actually looking the best he's ever looked in pre-season before bumping heads with Long in a practice game.
33. Paton 5 had a solid back half of the season developing as a small defender.
34. Parker 4 looked great early but seemed to tire as the season went on. It will be interesting to see how he goes in 2020. X-factor abounds but needs to do the simple things as well as the flashy things.
35. Sinclair 5 if he could find consistency within games and week to week he'd be great, but he is all over the place. When he's on he is a good user, hopefully our next coach can help him to play at his best every week.
36. McKenzie 4 started the season pretty well but ended up in the 2s after playing a number of howlers including a total bath from Cameron.
37. Rice 1 pretty much unsighted, doubt he's on the list next year.
38. Clavarino 1 injured in pre-season but seems to have finished ok in the reserves late on. Hopefully makes his move in 2020.
39. Joyce 2 I thought he was looking great in the pre-season but he couldn't convert that form to the 1s. Playing full-forward late on for Sandy and actually kicking some goals, could be one to keep an eye on. I think he's got something.
40. Hind 6 has looked great since coming into the side as a pacy forward.
41. Young 2 struggled in both the seniors and reserves all year.
42. Pierce 1 a nightmare season, gone with serious concussion issues it seems.
43. Marsh 3 did ok since coming in, I think he could be a decent player for us, has some x-factor.
44. Wilkie 8 a superb pick-up, played every game, reliable hands, good skills, just a bloody good pick-up.
45. Alabakis N/A haven't got a clue about him.
46. Langlands 3 good on him for getting his debut game, but fitness-wise seemed a long way off it. Worth persisting with, 2020 will tell all I think.
47. Rowe 1 thank you for your service.
48. Mayo 2 picked up in mid-season draft, seems a decent prospect.

Last edited:

Time in forward half since Round 10. It's not like the ball hasn't been there!

That's what happens when you bomb it into the fwd 50, attempt to pressure their defenders to cough it up and eventually allow them to get it up the ground, rather than marking and scoring quickly.

Inefficient and ineffective offensive work from midfield, unreliable marking/leading tall forwards, slow and inaccurate crumbers.

We get it in piss about and give it up. Other teams get it in and score. Job done, not in the forward 50 long!

Let's hope Ratts was hampered by Richo and wasn't just a terrible forward coach, because he'll have to sort this out.

Although we had double the wins of 2018, 9 against 4.5, and had improvement to a number of young players, the season was very under-whelming.
As a whole but there was a time this season when things were going so well that my optimism was unbridled. Injuries to Lonie and Geary were incredibly influencual in our downturn, I feel.

As a whole but there was a time this season when things were going so well that my optimism was unbridled. Injuries to Lonie and Geary were incredibly influencual in our downturn, I feel.
I agree. To me the Lonie injury seemed to knock the wind out of our sails. For whatever reason the team was never the same after that injury. Our upward trajectory to that point took a steep downturn and never recovered.

bright start to the year but a horror stretch showed where we were really at. injuries certainly hurt us though. the most disappointing part of the season was the way it ended. we actually played well against geelong and carried that form when richo was shown the door, with an extra lift that comes when a weight is lifted. but the honeymoon didn't last long. losing to carlton showed we had fallen behind them over the year, and the capitaliation against the swans showed a real lack of heart. in short we finished how we played through the majority of the year. a bit directionless and uninspired. and now we look like we'll appoint the man responsible for those two embarrassments, plus our awful forward work all year? the worst part of our game (aside from goalkicking perhaps) and the club and most supporters are happy to promote the architect? that's st kilda.

A wasted year. Just treading water.

You cannot look at this year any other way. WE SACKED OUR COACH!

Positives

Rowan Marshall - and he will get much better.
Complete move to Moorabbin

Negatives

Still none of our high draft picks have gone to A grade status,
Same players doing the same things - Acres in and out of games, Gresham kicks the ball higher than he does long, Dunstan kicks in hope, Billings gets lots of possessions but has little impact, we kick to the opposition as much as to team mates, we are 50/50 proposition at best in front of goal.
Well off the pace of the top 8 teams,
When we win it tends to be by bringing teams down to our level than playing up to theirs,
We still look very slow at times,
Our depth is appalling, many players in our first 22 would not get games at other clubs,
We continue to recruit players with chronic injuries - King, Hannebury, Bytel
Membership is stalled

You cannot look at this year any other way. WE SACKED OUR COACH!

Positives

Rowan Marshall - and he will get much better.
Complete move to Moorabbin

Negatives

Still none of our high draft picks have gone to A grade status,
Same players doing the same things - Acres in and out of games, Gresham kicks the ball higher than he does long, Dunstan kicks in hope, Billings gets lots of possessions but has little impact, we kick to the opposition as much as to team mates, we are 50/50 proposition at best in front of goal.
Well off the pace of the top 8 teams,
When we win it tends to be by bringing teams down to our level than playing up to theirs,
We still look very slow at times,
Our depth is appalling, many players in our first 22 would not get games at other clubs,
We continue to recruit players with chronic injuries - King, Hannebury, Bytel
Membership is stalled

Our depth is fine. Players in our first 22 not being good enough to play at other clubs is nothing to do with depth. Depth is players outside the 22 with the ability to replace those in the 22 if needed.

When Lonie and Kent went out, we lost a bit of smart ball movement in the forward half which negatively impacted on the scoreboard in a few games. Too many experienced players were too inconsistent during games and kept letting their opponents have an impact- midfield especially. A real nothing kind of season and hopefully with a new coach, new style and some smart trading, we will improve in ladder position.

massive positives
clark
marshall
battle
wilkie
moving richo on

to a lesser extent, billings

the reality is clark and marshall look like our best young prospects since the likes of roo/dal santo. Both had better years than gresh did last year. They're gonna be massively important in our next tilt.

Billings had a good year but I didn't feel he was very damaging, I'm still not sold on him as a player and would move him on for the right (high) price :eek:

wilkie is a pro should name him captain now and be done with it. Battle had a terrific year for a young KPD. And the cho cho train has left the station. Feeling positive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our depth is fine. Players in our first 22 not being good enough to play at other clubs is nothing to do with depth. Depth is players outside the 22 with the ability to replace those in the 22 if needed.

Well if replacing rubbish with rubbish is god depth then you have me there.

Well if replacing rubbish with rubbish is god depth then you have me there.

Depth isn't a measure of the quality of the 22.
We had crap depth in 2011.
We couldn't have lost 2 rucks, because we had only 1 on the list. ( Kosi and Blake only options ).
No-one near the quality of Phillips , Paton, or Coffield to come in.

I agree. To me the Lonie injury seemed to knock the wind out of our sails. For whatever reason the team was never the same after that injury. Our upward trajectory to that point took a steep downturn and never recovered.
Not sure Lonie had anything to do with us going south , we coped a golden run with our draw in the first five weeks until we started playing decent teams and thats where we got found out all year , we won 4 of the first 5 for a reason , not because we were a good team and not because lonie was playing IMO

Not sure Lonie had anything to do with us going south , we coped a golden run with our draw in the first five weeks until we started playing decent teams and thats where we got found out all year , we won 4 of the first 5 for a reason , not because we were a good team and not because lonie was playing IMO
I felt and heard a collective sigh when Lonie went down and it was obvious the team dropped their heads a bit after that point- it had been very positive, then all of a sudden a big negative and momentum drops. I've seen it before in my old footy playing days.

Yeah,wobbling past Goldy at home by a point should have been a warning sign.

I felt and heard a collective sigh when Lonie went down and it was obvious the team dropped their heads a bit after that point- it had been very positive, then all of a sudden a big negative and momentum drops. I've seen it before in my old footy playing days.
You dont think it was anything to do with us not being good enough ,,,,,,,,, Ok

Yeah,wobbling past Goldy at home by a point should have been a warning sign.
Bombers were a rabble , Hawks were going worse than us , Demons well they were just being themselves and then we get the Crows totally out of form at home and once again they owned us , from then on we struggled

Last edited:
I can understand your passion for the club mate but seriously if the boys spat the dummy out and gave up because Lonie got hurt which i dont think they did , it would really show how mentally weak we are , think its more a case of our lack of class

If that’s all it takes for them to drop their heads then we’ve got serious issues.

I think there are plenty of positives going into next season .

First of all we no longer have 4 dud ruckmen like we did a few years back . Finally they are gone and we can start again this time with a young gun as first ruck in Marshall . What a year he had . I must admit i never saw it coming . He wasnt in my team at the start of the season , in fact i didnt even consider him . To me he looked just like a back up forward who could be thrown into the ruck to give someone a rest . Boy was i wrong , not for the first time either lol. It makes you think what would have happened if Pierce and Longer hadnt got injured ?

Battle . Again i never thought they would play him at chb . The fact that he played there all year and was very rarely beaten by anyone shows the club was right in doing it . As the year progressed he became even better taking marks and creating play himself . As with Marshall , you wonder would he have spent the year in the twos if Carlisle , Robbo and Austin were all fit . But they both got their chances due to injuries and they took them . They have gone from fringe players to guys we need to sign up on long term contracts before they get pinched by richer clubs .

Lonie had a huge season until he got injured . He then struggled with fitness when he made it back as expected . Given that just about all of us wanted to trade or delist him for most of last year it was an huge turn around . Last season he couldnt tackle a fly , but this year all his tackles were sticking , like that huge one that brought down Hurley . Not only was the tackle great but he was up and at the ball before Hurley even realised what had happened . He was a completely different player and he stopped trying to get soft free kicks and kept at the ball .

Wilkie and Parker had fantastic first seasons . Yes Parkers did tail off towards the end but i think that may have been more a fitness issue . He just goes at 100 miles an hour all game and i think it took its toll by about 3 quarters into the season . Hopefully he will benefit from a good preseason .
Wilkie was one of the recruits of the year counting all teams in my opinion . Can you remember a defender who came into his first season and basically was picked because of so many other defenders being injured at the time . Yet he never looked out of place , his marking was great , his defending was first class and his disposal was very good too . He looked like he had 100 games under his belt already . If we can get Robbo back , might be doubtful , Webster , Battle , Geary , and Carlisle then we will have an awesome backline . Include Savage who had a great year , Brown who played some good games , Coffield , Clark , Dmac , Paton , Hind , Austin , Clavarino , Marsh , White , and Mayo then we have a great group to choose from . Although hopefully Clark , Coffield , Hind and Paton might play more midfield time .

We also have the long waited start to Max Kings career but we do have to give him time to adjust to afl footy .
Bytel will be ready for next year as well , he is supposed to be good .
Hanneberry hopefully will be able to play a full season or close to it and he has already shown what he can do .
I thought Kent was just starting to put some good games together when he got injured so it will be interesting to see how he goes next season. Hopefully he will start the season in fitter shape than he started this season .
On top of all that we have the continued improvement of guys like Gresham , Steele , Dunstan , Billings , Ross , and Langlands to look forward to.
Plus guys like Membrey , Bruce , Steven , who are already good .
And potential of Acres , Sinclair , Long and Young , who knows what will happen with them .

Yes i know we might lose some players to trades but we might pick up good ones as well .

Overall im very excited going into next year , i just hope we dont have the same run of injuries that we have had over the last few years .

I do expect Paddy to retire from footy and possibly Robbo as well , but lets wait and see .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bombers were a rabble , Hawks were going worse than us , Demons well they were just being themselves and then we get the Crows totally out of form at home and once again they owned us , from then on we struggled
Why is it when we beat teams it's only because they were rabble at the time. The Bombers spanked Brisbane two weeks after we played them. Hawthorn were competitive against Geelong the week after we played them. Isn't another possibility that we executed our game plan and we did not allow the opposition to play well. At the start of the season we were one of the hardest teams to score against and that was largely off the back of pressure all around the ground.
I thought we were playing with confidence and willing to take risks. IIRC Lonie was leading our tackle count inside 50 and he was also providing defensive pressure around the ground. IMO when he got injured it seemed to unsettle us. Putting the relevance of the Lonie injury aside however, there is no doubt in my mind that our confidence took a hit in that Crow's game and we were never quite the same team again.

Why is it when we beat teams it's only because they were rabble at the time. The Bombers spanked Brisbane two weeks after we played them. Hawthorn were competitive against Geelong the week after we played them. Isn't another possibility that we executed our game plan and we did not allow the opposition to play well. At the start of the season we were one of the hardest teams to score against and that was largely off the back of pressure all around the ground.
I thought we were playing with confidence and willing to take risks. IIRC Lonie was leading our tackle count inside 50 and he was also providing defensive pressure around the ground. IMO when he got injured it seemed to unsettle us. Putting the relevance of the Lonie injury aside however, there is no doubt in my mind that our confidence took a hit in that Crow's game and we were never quite the same team again.
You just summed it up , mentally weak , a lot on here that week were saying we would beat the crows , i was not giving us a sniff as for some reason no matter how they are going we cant beat them in recent times .
The teams that we beat we got them on the right day , tell me how we couldnt beat a decent team then except the dogs , oh and we know why that happened i think dont we ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back