Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never consider going to Tassie to watch a game against the Hawks or North, if Tassie had their own team however then I would, dunno why but yeah..

I'd never consider going to Tassie to watch a game against the Hawks or North, if Tassie had their own team however then I would, dunno why but yeah..

Because it’s legitimate while the Hawks/Roos arrangements feel artificial.

Anyway, Its up to the AFL.

All this group can do is show the bona fides of the end application. Something no one else has had to do.

Actually thats not true at all.

Gold Coast had to demonstrate that it could achieve a certain of number of committed supporters (~20,000) and sponsors (110 odd primary, secondary and tertiary) before the licence was granted. A stadium agreement had to be guaranteed.

And even if it was true, its only true because its not an AFL driven license, its an unsolicited bid after the AFL has already deemed it not fit for purpose.

I get miffed about these so called free tickets for suns games. I pay my hard earned to go and have never seen any (other than some auskick ones that I presume are also common elsewhere). Its common knowledge that ticket prices up here are higher than vic

Stadium rent and event costs are the reason for this. Especially in Queensland and to a lesser extent, South Australia. In Wa, its demand. In Victoria, long term venue agreements and extensive club competition as well as seating availability all combine to make it hard to raise pricing much at all.

Would be a good opportunity to transition the season to an 18 round H & A system with every team playing every other team once too (alternating years between home and away fixtures). Will be the closest thing we've seen to a fair competition.

Stadium rent and event costs are the reason for this. Especially in Queensland and to a lesser extent, South Australia. In Wa, its demand. In Victoria, long term venue agreements and extensive club competition as well as seating availability all combine to make it hard to raise pricing much at all.
But we negotiated a new deal didnt we?

Only the examples in WA & SA. Both footy states like Tasmania.

And both predating the modern media market we currently find ourselves in. Tasmania hasnt locked out AFL broadcasts in favour of its state comp for a start. the TSL hasnt spent the previous decade telling everyone how good it is and promoting itself as better than the AFL in its home state.

Im not saying that I agree with the position, just that circumstances arent the same. In an era where you can get everything on Foxtel and Kayo, attending isnt everything.

Certainly more evidence than the generational/cultural change the AFL are trying to buy.

Debatable. People that dont want to see the increase in club and general participation, not to mention one of the countries largest womens footy programs, will never see it I guess.

Actually thats not true at all.

Gold Coast had to demonstrate that it could achieve a certain of number of committed supporters (~20,000) and sponsors (110 odd primary, secondary and tertiary) before the licence was granted. A stadium agreement had to be guaranteed.

And even if it was true, its only true because its not an AFL driven license, its an unsolicited bid after the AFL has already deemed it not fit for purpose.

Not sure it's entirely unsolicited or unwanted. It's definitely being driven by the state government, but Gil McLachlan has some sort of unofficial advisory role, as reported by (I think) The Age. I don't think he'd muddy his hands with a problem like this if there wasn't a chance it could be pulled off.

Not sure it's entirely unsolicited or unwanted. It's definitely being driven by the state government, but Gil McLachlan has some sort of unofficial advisory role, as reported by (I think) The Age. I don't think he'd muddy his hands with a problem like this if there wasn't a chance it could be pulled off.

Its not an AFL plan - as GWS and Gold Coast - and all other interstate teams were (no unsolicited bid has ever made it to the AFL, including numerous attempts by Southport). This is Tas driven. The AFL and Gov have a committee thing that looks after Football in Tasmania now, but does not explicitly include a Tasmanian AFL team as part of its mandate.

It was a state league comp at the time becoming a national comp.

It's already a national comp and been 1 for some time.
Mate you’re 100 % wrong the vfl in the eighties was the premier comp in Australia it had the the swans enter in the early eighties a interstate club and after the bears and eagles came in they changed the name to AFL it was not a state league victoria had vfa as there state league the majority of people in wa and sa already followed vfl teams Pryor to the eagles and crows entering as well as following there local wafl and sanfl teams it’s no different at all to what the situation would be if aTasmanian team entered serious question with out being disrespectful did follow football Pryor to gws ?

Mate you’re 100 % wrong the vfl in the eighties was the premier comp in Australia it had the the swans enter in the early eighties a interstate club and after the bears and eagles came in they changed the name to AFL it was not a state league victoria had vfa as there state league the majority of people in wa and sa already followed vfl teams Pryor to the eagles and crows entering as well as following there local wafl and sanfl teams it’s no different at all to what the situation would be if aTasmanian team entered serious question with out being disrespectful did follow football Pryor to gws ?
It may of been the Premier comp but it wasn't the national comp. WA and SA football was much much bigger then and were watched.

Where as everyone watches the AFL now and has their teams in that comp.

Am not saying that Tassie won't be successful in the long run as have said many a time I'm all for them and think they will.

Just disagree with the narrative that all taswegians will jump on board straight off the bat.

Not disrespectful at all.
Proud to say Giants are my 1st club. Knew of the sport and the way it has grown. Kept an eye on the Tigers as I was a Balmain boy.
That doesn't change what I've said though.

Its not an AFL plan - as GWS and Gold Coast - and all other interstate teams were (no unsolicited bid has ever made it to the AFL, including numerous attempts by Southport). This is Tas driven. The AFL and Gov have a committee thing that looks after Football in Tasmania now, but does not explicitly include a Tasmanian AFL team as part of its mandate.

Oh right, I understand what you mean now. My point was only that McLachlan is personally advising Hodgeman's appointed taskforce, at least at some level.

Oh right, I understand what you mean now. My point was only that McLachlan is personally advising Hodgeman's appointed taskforce, at least at some level.

Oh i think we are now well on the way to a team - the VFL side should be a stepping stone as it was with GWS and Gold Coast, something tangible from TasGov may be whats been needed all this time. Not just words.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh i think we are now well on the way to a team - the VFL side should be a stepping stone as it was with GWS and Gold Coast, something tangible from TasGov may be whats been needed all this time. Not just words.

Yeah, the last proposal seemed a bit amatuerish. Very "let's see what happens". This seems to be a directed, well-funded, well-resourced bid for a license.

It appears that the AFL wants this team and just wants to see a proposal that doesn't end up with them paying for most of it. Everything regarding how the AFL is positioning Tasmanian football lately is for it to be for it to be self-sustaining to eventually support a professional team.

I'm very eager to see what comes out of this taskforce in the next year.

I think you'll find the Government has been pushed by a very large ground swell towards getting a spot at the AFL trough. The FIFO clubs have run their race as it were. The media have cottoned onto the latent desire for change. More & more people are sick of this one way traffic we've had from the VFL/AFL boys club over the many decades. Demitriou & Fitzpatrick were arrogant & pathetic in their responses. Really out of touch & so rude & dismissive. 'They watch AFL', like the 'let them eat cake' call.

I think its all gained a lot from changes that have happened here over the last 10 years. The inferiority complex has changed/ is changing rapidly.

IMO, & others, its had its catalyst from the 'Mona effect'. Its afforded a huge change in the local psyche due to rapidly increased inter & international tourism. Make no mistake its about some increased confidence from the attention & massive boost in tourism. The increased exposure has shown Tassie in a different light to many people who knew SFA about the place before. Locals are thinking 'well maybe we are good enough'.

So the groundswell is probably due to the 'its time' effect. The way Tassie footy has be drained & kicked in the guts by the AFL has opened up a raw nerve in the community. Gil's response was/is pathetic & everyone knows that.

More than ever I think the bulk of the population would say that if we're not good enough for the AFL then you can take the FIFO bludgers with you, extending the 4th digit as they leave. ;)

Like everywhere, you will get a lot of antifooty sentiment. Education, housing & hospitals first is the call. Thing is an AFL club would be a big economic & psychological boost to the place. that's where the local argument is at.

Only this week the worlds 2nd biggest airport owner( A Paris based company) has said they want a chunk of the Hobart airport. They see the rising tide of tourism as Tassie, as they said, is becoming a niche international, & indeed national spot to visit.

So whatever happens, things are changing here. Mostly for the better one feels.

Hopefully the AFL do too. But if their heads are still stuck in the sand, we'll survive just fine. Footy here won't be so lucky I'm afraid.

Another freaking VFL team Gil?, please spare me!!!

Like everywhere, you will get a lot of antifooty sentiment. Education, housing & hospitals first is the call. Thing is an AFL club would be a big economic & psychological boost to the place. that's where the local argument is at.

Good Lord, I've had to go through that so many times recently.

"Don't worry about an AFL team, we have to fix our hospitals first!", as if AFL teams are a black hole for money. As much as I don't want North/Hawks in Tassie (for cultural reasons), the financial benefit they provide from bringing mainlanders here is very obvious. Hawthorn gives Tassie a crazy ROI. It's something upward of 500%, annually.

And no doubt also that:
A) afl will receive less flack about the suns if they have the tassie team

B) afl believe the off field standards of the suns are heading in right direction and have confidence that by time tassie starts in a few years that onfield may also be better for the suns.

Plus 19 teams means easier to have thursday night each week with one team having a bye each week so thats good for media rights.

And 19 teams means one less double up game (4 down from 5) helping the fixture bias.

WA juniors would be complete s**t without the money West Coast and to a lesser extent Freo contribute.

Now imagine Gold Coast if they weren't there to do the same.ll

We'll does that perhaps explain that the rise of the AFL exactly mirrors the demise of Tasmanian football & junior football here as well?

The severe under resourcing over 20 plus years. That the FIFO carpetbaggers have added nothing to Tassie footy at all.

Perhaps???

That's true, if the Titans die or get moved to Brisbane then the Suns will virtually have the entire GC to themselves.... That'd be huge long term in terms of getting young kids to choose Footy.
The Gold Coast is not league heartland...

Suns get better crowds than the Titans
I lived 2017 on the Gold Coast, no one follows the Titans, everyone is a Broncos fan.

Would be a good opportunity to transition the season to an 18 round H & A system with every team playing every other team once too (alternating years between home and away fixtures). Will be the closest thing we've seen to a fair competition.

Perhaps add a group stage of 3 games where the top 8 are split into 2 groups, top 2 in each group go to the Qualifying Finals, bottom 2 in each group to the Elimination Finals

And no doubt also that:
A) afl will receive less flack about the suns if they have the tassie team

B) afl believe the off field standards of the suns are heading in right direction and have confidence that by time tassie starts in a few years that onfield may also be better for the suns.

Plus 19 teams means easier to have thursday night each week with one team having a bye each week so thats good for media rights.

And 19 teams means one less double up game (4 down from 5) helping the fixture bias.

Would the Thursday night game be a FTA game, bring the number of FTA games back to 4 per round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back