I'm sorry

I don't blame you

Kudos to you for being considerate. Don't let the hijacking of this thread get you down ;)

Hey, have you done any decent pranks lately? Did you ever surpass your epic popcorn effort?

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
Kudos to you for being considerate. Don't let the hijacking of this thread get you down ;)

Hey, have you done any decent pranks lately? Did you ever surpass your epic popcorn effort?

Unfortunately, that life is behind me. Responsibilities happened. :)

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The thing that did surprise me was the way Blair was cut. It seemed fairly casual and direct by Bucks. Obviously must be a difficult conversation, however, it happened quickly and was straight to the point.

No mean feat playing 157 games and a premiership. The way Blair didn’t sulk and put in 110% in the VFL was admirable.

Also, after watching the interaction between Bucks and Grundy when we won the preliminary suggests to me that grundy is a Pie for life!
Bucks insistence on continually selecting Blair did everyones head in, everyone seemed to know he wasn't up to it except Bucks, almost had a tinge of Daddyball about it, IMO it almost cost Bucks his job, thank * it didn't.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bucks insistence on continually selecting Blair did everyones head in, everyone seemed to know he wasn't up to it except Bucks, almost had a tinge of Daddyball about it, IMO it almost cost Bucks his job.

Hence the "you were on the 52 side many times" comment.
I found the comment (paraphrasing here) "one day, you'll come back to the club and thanks us for this and that" quite interesting at the time. It could have gone badly had the player been someone a bit more fiery (Shaw, Thomas etc).

Poor Blairy. I wish we'd signed him for our VFL team.

Frank Gallagher

Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hence the "you were on the 52 side many times" comment.
I found the comment (paraphrasing here) "one day, you'll come back to the club and thanks us for this and that" quite interesting at the time. It could have gone badly had the player been someone a bit more fiery (Shaw, Thomas etc).

Poor Blairy. I wish we'd signed him for our VFL team.
Why though? Didak suffered the same fate, as will Goldsack, neither of those 2 were gifted games like Blair was.

Blair not only stunk it up, he single handedly cost us 2 games in his last season iirc through sheer stupididy.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Why though? Didak suffered the same fate, as will Goldsack, neither of those 2 were gifted games like Blair was.

Blair not only stunk it up, he single handedly cost us 2 games in his last season iirc through sheer stupididy.

My memory isn't that good but I don't doubt it. Still sad to see.

Frank Gallagher

Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
My memory isn't that good but I don't doubt it. Still sad to see.
I remember Didak wasn't a big fan of Bucks, may have been reported by a Nicks poster who asked "Any chance of you coming back Dids" during a VFL game, Dids said "Not bloody likely", the Blair thing was just plain weird though, he wouldn't have got a game in any AFL side at the time but Bucks just wouldn't let go, cost us.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wasn’t questioning the place of self criticism, in fact without it and holding people to account we go nowhere.

What I do reject is blind negativity, comment without rhyme or reason. Uninformed posters just regurgitating the short-cited drivel published in the media. It is this rhetoric that dominated conversation, look back through the threads....The board was rife with Carlton supporters.

You are absolutely wrong if you think that our collective voice can’t have an impact. I would hate to think what all that negativity did to the players and the coaches who’s sole purpose every day was to deliver their best.

By reading the articles and by regurgitating the headline grabbing uninformed crap, all you did was fan the fire of the haters. Shame on you.
In the spirit of this thread I should apologise for focusing on the words of your post, rather than the spirit, as a vehicle for my own meanderings. Now we have that out of the way lets focus on your words and subvert the hippie nature of this thread.

Firstly, you are absolutely wrong in suggesting I am absolutely wrong as I have never been and will never be so.

More importantly, why would posters consistently post negative drivel? Three reasons I can think of are: because that is the way they view the world/the pies, to gain attention by taking the controversial view or to purposefully undermine the pies. Blasting them for posting in that way is not going to achieve anything; in fact, for the latter two it serves their purpose. Pass over their posts, watch what happens when they get no airtime. Ironic that an brief inane negative post on this forum gets way more attention than a brief inane positive.

Now if our collective voice can have an impact why has it failed so miserably during my lifetime. I did my bit, have you mob failed me? Truth is I blame the volume of our collective voice for uniting the great unwashed against us, for making every media comment – positive or negative – sell and for fuelling the overbalanced egos that the pies have always struggled with. Weight of expectation can be just as heavy as stupid criticisms. I saw the light and stop believing years ago but then in the last 15 mins of 2018 I stumbled and believed. You know where that ended and will be glad to know I give us no chance this year.

If our players/coaches have their snouts in social media and let it impact on them then we need new ones. It wouldn’t surprise me if the pies also pay SV to do the opposite of what he does here on other club’s sites. This is the modern way and we’d be naïve to think it isn’t also happening in the football world with so much money at stake.

Finally, this whole thing about questioning the legitimacy of a poster. What joins us all here is that we are pies supporters. What can be a worse insult than to tell a fellow poster they are not that or not worthy of that. Who the hell has the right to define what is or isn’t a Collingwood supporter?

I’m not sure what your last sentence was about 42, I have my tongue firmly in my cheek 90% of the time. From my ignorant viewpoint it is so goddam simple. If the “for” mob just ignored the “against” mob most of the drivel would evaporate. It seems to me many of the “for” mob have the same anger/disappointment post a loss, they just take it out on the “against” mob rather than the club or players.

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dear Collingwood Bigfooty members,

I have just finished watching the documentary that aired tonight (Collingwood from the inside out) and I am feeling deep regret for the way I have acted towards the players and other forum members of this great club during the last few months.

From bagging out fringe players to some of the disgusting comments I condoned and made last week regarding one of our players and a potential injury he may have had.
I made an arse of myself and have no doubt ended up on many ignore lists - and rightly so.

I am sorry. I am sorry for forgetting how human these people are. I am sorry for forgetting that we are all here for the same reason and we should all consider ourselves a family.
My pledge from this point on is to not be fair weather. To not be consistently negative and angry at how many injuries we have or that we only won by x amount of points instead of by 10 goals. To never bag out and turn on our own - and that includes us here.

I love this club so God damn much.....Regardless of what happens on Friday night or for the rest of the season, let's get behind these boys.... We can make amends for the final game of last season. And if not, then that's ok too. We'll come back better and stronger in 2020.

Love you all.
Wicksy

Nice post Wicksy - you said it all. Go PIES

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I remember Didak wasn't a big fan of Bucks, may have been reported by a Nicks poster who asked "Any chance of you coming back Dids" during a VFL game, Dids said "Not bloody likely", the Blair thing was just plain weird though, he wouldn't have got a game in any AFL side at the time but Bucks just wouldn't let go, cost us.

What did it cost us exactly?

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dude, don’t apologise for how you feel.

If you want to be pi**ed and lash out out of frustration, that’s your right.

Yes and no.
At the end of the day, I had a couple of whipping boys who I seemed only to see the bad in.

After seeing the impact on Treloar and Blair's story also, it just really stung me. Immense guilt.
I don't want to be that person anymore regardless of the free speech laws.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dude, don’t apologise for how you feel.

If you want to be pi**ed and lash out out of frustration, that’s your right.
Weird way of looking at things. I would have thought whilst you have your own rights, you’ve also got a right (or responsibility) to act in somewhat of a decent manner to those around you.

Or, every time you get mad just lash out at those around you, if thats your go. I’m not sure how healthy or sustainable that is, but sure.

Either way, he’s gone out of his way to publicly apologise, which takes a hell of a lot more balls then lashing out of frustration on an online forum. He should be commended for that.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Yes and no.
At the end of the day, I had a couple of whipping boys who I seemed only to see the bad in.

After seeing the impact on Treloar and Blair's story also, it just really stung me. Immense guilt.
I don't want to be that person anymore regardless of the free speech laws.

If you attacked people on a personal level, then I understand the impetus for an apology after watching that documentary.

If your frustration was based around their footballing ability or performances on any given day then I don’t see the issue.

I watched that documentary too and the part with Blair was intense and gut wrenching. But I’m not sure how that changes the fact that he wasn’t staring 22 in his final years. That’s life and that’s football. It’s eventually going to happen to almost every player on our list at some point.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If you attacked people on a personal level, then I understand the impetus for an apology after watching that documentary.

If your frustration was based around their footballing ability or performances on any given day then I don’t see the issue.

I watched that documentary too and the part with Blair was intense and gut wrenching. But I’m not sure how that changes the fact that he wasn’t staring 22 in his final years. That’s life and that’s football. It’s eventually going to happen to almost every player on our list at some point.

I did get personal... both with the players and other forum members. It was not on.

Re: Blairy

He was not best 22 in his final year or two... you're aboslutely spot on.
Did he deserve the constant barrage of s**t he copped on here though? Probably not.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I did get personal... both with the players and other forum members. It was not on.

Did he deserve the constant barrage of s**t he copped on here though? Probably not.
Which is why i’ve always thought its best to keep comments purely about a players football ability/skills. I have no issues with someone being constructively critical about a players short comings as a football player, but it should never get personal. This is a football forum.

99% of people on here are in no position to launch personal attacks on players, because it would require you to actually know the person. Not that its particularly okay even if you do know them. Aside from that I just don’t see where it gets anyone, who does it benefit?

Its just baseless negativity towards someone you really don’t know, that achieves nothing good. Glad you’ve realised that

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός

Ah ok. Well as I said, if attacks were personal, then I understand the apology.

But speaking about their ability as a footballer are fair game as far as I’m concerned.

Back