The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
zX0i0vs.jpg

What people often forget about the international break is that as annoying as it is for some people (myself included), for fans of many countries it’s actually the thing they look forward to most.
Not sure that’s entirely true.

I didn’t used to mind qualifying matches (friendlies have almost always been a bore) but UEFA qualification seems to be so much easier than before that it’s become all too routine. Particularly so as we are currently in the Euro qualification phase and they’ve increased the qualification places to a ridiculous amount

Because players actually need a rest at some stage.
I'm not suggesting more football be played. Just move the international games to the off-season and pull the league games back earlier. Still the same amount of games in the same amount of time.

I'm not suggesting more football be played. Just move the international games to the off-season and pull the league games back earlier. Still the same amount of games in the same amount of time.

So when do Euro qualifiers get played when the WC is in the Summer? There's only two years where there's no off-season tournament, but International breaks happen every season.

So when do Euro qualifiers get played when the WC is in the Summer? There's only two years where there's no off-season tournament, but International breaks happen every season.
1 off-season have Euro qualifiers
Next off-season Euros
Then world cup qualifiers
Then World Cup.

Rotate that every 4 years. Throw African cup of nations or whatever other continental tournament in the 1st 2 years too.

1 off-season have Euro qualifiers
Next off-season Euros
Then world cup qualifiers
Then World Cup.

Rotate that every 4 years. Throw African cup of nations or whatever other continental tournament in the 1st 2 years too.
Players would never get a break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every second year they get a decent off season off.

How many games do you think there are in the qualifying stages?
I got no idea, I'm just saying to swap fixtures around, not add more. It could also help countries squads gel a bit more rather then playing 2 games here and there.

I got no idea, I'm just saying to swap fixtures around, not add more. It could also help countries squads gel a bit more rather then playing 2 games here and there.

Yeah, nah.

If you got rid of international breaks during the season then the season would finish earlier. You could then play the qualifiers in April/May and the players would still get their summer break

If you got rid of international breaks during the season then the season would finish earlier. You could then play the qualifiers in April/May and the players would still get their summer break

So you're going to have Euro qualifiers before a WC?

How many games of qualification all up are there? I don't think you could squeeze those into the 2-3 weeks you'd save.

So you're going to have Euro qualifiers before a WC?

How many games of qualification all up are there? I don't think you could squeeze those into the 2-3 weeks you'd save.
The qualifiers would be in the seasons between major tournaments so there wouldn’t be a tournament occurring straight after.

There must be four or five even six international breaks. So you could bring the season to a close by roughly a month easily. You could then fit 6-8 qualifiers in that period. Would probably still require one or two breaks during the season which would still be more tolerable than the amount we have now

The qualifiers would be in the seasons between major tournaments so there wouldn’t be a tournament occurring straight after.

There must be four or five even six international breaks. So you could bring the season to a close by roughly a month easily. You could then fit 6-8 qualifiers in that period. Would probably still require one or two breaks during the season which would still be more tolerable than the amount we have now

Five or six a year, so 20-24 over a four year period. So 40-48 games. Two years have major tournaments, so you have two summers to play 40-48 games. Say you use a month (since 5-6 weeks = roughly a month or so) each year, that's still 20 games in a month, or one every 2-3 days. When players have just finished an intense league season.

Like I said to Ross.

Yeah, nah.

Five or six a year, so 20-24 over a four year period. So 40-48 games. Two years have major tournaments, so you have two summers to play 40-48 games. Say you use a month (since 5-6 weeks = roughly a month or so) each year, that's still 20 games in a month, or one every 2-3 days. When players have just finished an intense league season.

Like I said to Ross.

Yeah, nah.
Uefa has about 10 qualifying games - plus 2 PO matches for countries who finish second in the group. You could easily fit six of those qualifiers at the end of the season and then limit the international breaks to probably 2 during it. I think logistically it can work for uefa, but for some other confederations it might be harder

Uefa has about 10 qualifying games - plus 2 PO matches for countries who finish second in the group. You could easily fit six of those qualifiers at the end of the season and then limit the international breaks to probably 2 during it. I think logistically it can work for uefa, but for some other confederations it might be harder

I think that's the issue, other confederations have more qualifying - we have two stages in Asia for the WC for instance. You end up with players missing chunks of the league season and it becomes unfair for teams with players from those confederations. All for people to complain about no football for a weekend (when really there is football, just not league football. And even then there's L1 and L2 and local teams to show support for).

A lot of local teams would actually be banking on income from people who would be otherwise going out to watch PL/Championship teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back