Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Liked Blight's idea of GC going for the Crouch brothers, allowing Adelaide to reset. He said 1 & 2, but GC would want something in return (maybe pick 10(ish)
Both of the Crouch brothers have had average years and are hugely overrated IMO. That would leave Adelaide with picks 1, 2 and 4 in the draft, would be unprecedented in the history of the game for a finals bound side.

samcantstandya

Senior List
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Nathan Jones doesn't get another year I'm done with this club
I support Melbourne. Players come & go. They retire or get a tap on the shoulder. I want us to be successful and not at the expense of being sentimental. If he gets a game on merit great. But if he isn't there nect year for whatever reason I will continue to support the jumper.

Liked Blight's idea of GC going for the Crouch brothers, allowing Adelaide to reset. He said 1 & 2, but GC would want something in return (maybe pick 10(ish)
Would Adelaide really take that? The Crouch brothers are young and A-grade? They're the two they need to keep!

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Would Adelaide really take that? The Crouch brothers are young and A-grade? They're the two they need to keep!

It doesn't make sense, greeting rid of 2 very good players for picks 1 and 2 which comes with a risk. They would basically give up 2 ready A grade mids for 2 young kids who could be anything.... they need to upgrade their mid tier players not their top end talent

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
So he is with us for at least another year. :hearts:

He needs 14 more games to hit 300, I reckon that is almost a certainty.

Needs 21 more to pass Neitz as our games record holder - that might be harder, but given his durability I wouldn't write it off. A Boak-like renaissance would be awesome.

So he is with us for at least another year. :hearts:

He needs 14 more games to hit 300, I reckon that is almost a certainty.

Needs 21 more to pass Neitz as our games record holder - that might be harder, but given his durability I wouldn't write it off. A Boak-like renaissance would be awesome.
I am firmly in your camp in regard to Nathan's position, he has been an extremely loyal and hard working servant of the Club and I hope he breaks Neitz's record. But it is my understanding that the culture in the club is apparently at an all time low at the moment, and it centres around Jones and the lead up to his his contract negotiations. Some one might know a bit more about this and I would love to know if this is the case. and has it been resolved?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am firmly in your camp in regard to Nathan's position, he has been an extremely loyal and hard working servant of the Club and I hope he breaks Neitz's record. But it is my understanding that the culture in the club is apparently at an all time low at the moment, and it centres around Jones and the lead up to his his contract negotiations. Some one might know a bit more about this and I would love to know if this is the case. and has it been resolved?

Might want to elaborate further mate.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

The culture is low because people feel he was lowballed or because people feel he wanted too much and/or shouldn't play on?

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Not shooting the messenger here, but * me if that is enough to drag the entire club/playing group down then we may as well fold.

Would be very MFC to be uncompetitive next year while carrying Jones to 300. Hopefully he gets forced out by a better player ASAP or reinvents himself somewhere that’s not the midfield

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
The culture is low because people feel he was lowballed or because people feel he wanted too much and/or shouldn't play on?

Max Gawn is the only person at the club qualified to have that opinion, and he wouldn't.

Loyalty and culture can't be manufactured, and giving this bloke the ass when he is comfortably in our top 30 players and an all-time great of the club is ridiculous.

Max Gawn is the only person at the club qualified to have that opinion, and he wouldn't.

Loyalty and culture can't be manufactured, and giving this bloke the ass when he is comfortably in our top 30 players and an all-time great of the club is ridiculous.
Was he being given the ass or just a six figure salary he wasn't happy with?

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was he being given the ass or just a six figure salary he wasn't happy with?

Average wage of an AFL player in 2017 was $371,000 as per this quick google search. Happy to pay him that when you include the leadership and marketing impact he brings, plus he can still impact the contest if used correctly.

Be interested to see where he finishes in the B & F, could very well be top 10

Average wage of an AFL player in 2017 was $371,000 as per this quick google search. Happy to pay him that when you include the leadership and marketing impact he brings, plus he can still impact the contest if used correctly.

Average wage is just the total payment pool divided by the number of playes, it's meaningless. Median much more useful.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

I’d be a bit shocked if he wasn’t. Genuinely one of our better players in the past year - albeit the bar was exceptionally low.

Back