Recommitted Shaun Burgoyne [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the 3 year deal isn’t a playing deal?

1 with a possible trigger with an assistant role afterwards would be my guess.
Not sure that would be enough to get him to leave if the Hawks are offering him a 1 year deal.

Maybe 2 years playing + 1 coaching, or even a trigger to allow him the option to play or coach in the third.

He'd get a coaching gig in Victoria in 2021 after finishing at Hawthorn in 2020 if that's what he wanted, so can't see him going to Gold Coast for a 1 + 2 deal.

Hodge and Lewis went 2 and 3 years after leaving hawthorn and neither was playing as well as Burgoyne has this season.

Yeah true but the end comes pretty quickly for most at that age. He’ll be 37 round 1 next year, giving 3 years just seems excessive.

I don't know if Birchall is best 22 worthy. Like Gold Coast have Harbrow and Hanley for experience and guys like Joyce, Ballard and McLennan who they may want to get games into.

Another thread has already been Hawthorned but with all due respect to Harbrow and Hanley they aren't winners. Harbrow spent 4 years at the Dogs when they were just not quite good enough to make a GF against Geel, St Kilda etc then has spent most of his career at Gold Coast. Hanley is currently 5th on the list for most career games with 0 finals.

Birchall is probably cooked after 8 games in 3 years but has still played 20+ finals. Burgoyne is 100 but has played more finals than 6 players in Gold Coast's last team and a dozen or more on the list have played games at AFL level. McVeigh, Lewis, possibly Harry Taylor, Jack... there are some guys with a lot of finals experience retiring that could be valuable assets.

I
Another thread has already been Hawthorned but with all due respect to Harbrow and Hanley they aren't winners. Harbrow spent 4 years at the Dogs when they were just not quite good enough to make a GF against Geel, St Kilda etc then has spent most of his career at Gold Coast. Hanley is currently 5th on the list for most career games with 0 finals.

Birchall is probably cooked after 8 games in 3 years but has still played 20+ finals. Burgoyne is 100 but has played more finals than 6 players in Gold Coast's last team and a dozen or more on the list have played games at AFL level. McVeigh, Lewis, possibly Harry Taylor, Jack... there are some guys with a lot of finals experience retiring that could be valuable assets.

I mean Birchall would be a great leader and they should go after him plus a few other Hawks but he doesn't start over either as they are just better players at this current stage. However, competition for spots would be a great thing for Gold Coast which is why they should pursue him.

So I reckon, given Burgers gets points taken away for his age, but would probably be in the top 25% of TPP, we get either start or end of 2nd round

It’s a 3 year contract - but possibly only one year playing.
Would think you only count the playing component - otherwise are we awarding compensation when coaches switch teams?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gold Coast will spend the next few days attempting to convince Shaun Burgoyne and his family that he should play for the Suns next year.
Foxfooty.com.au understands the four-time premiership player is on the Gold Coast finding out what life would be like in Queensland if he moved his family there for 2020 and beyond.

He will tour the club’s facilities, scope out potential schools for his kids and also even delve into real estate options.
Although the oldest player in the AFL has not made a decision yet, Hawthorn insiders believe it’s increasingly likely he will accept a multi-year playing/mentoring role with the Suns instead of a one season contract at the Waverley Park.

If he can in some way with his long time colleague Dew turn the GC around.... Man is gonna have a serious resume.

Feel good story for the ages.

Considering Burgoyne was in the Hawks top 10 highest paid players in 2019 despite his age, what free agency compensation pick can Hawthorn expect in return? :think:

Knowing the AFL they will find a way to screw us over with a pick in the 90s.

Considering Burgoyne was in the Hawks top 10 highest paid players in 2019 despite his age, what free agency compensation pick can Hawthorn expect in return? :think:

Bittersweet ;)

He's turning 37 in October = Zilch, zero, nothing, nada, No Sir-eee.

Caught same flight back from the GC this morning as a mate of mine with the wife and kids. I would say done deal for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so a couple of guys, one Hawthorn and one definitely ITK on our board who def has inside track for us, says Burgoyne has informed Hawthorn he is leaving to GC but Tom Brown or Morris has gone public saying he has told Hawks he is staying, feel free to enlighten us if you know either way??????

Think a pick in the 5th round shouldnt be ruled out ;)

Think he will be at GC

maybe a way to get around the soft cap and have him there for coaching and mentoring. its not like they have other players to spend the cap space on anyway.

I think this is a misconception, they have to overpay basically all their draftees in order to get them to stay. But yeah probably right on your original point.

I think this is a misconception, they have to overpay basically all their draftees in order to get them to stay. But yeah probably right on your original point.
Now I think that is a misconception I haven't seen anywhere this year that says we are close to our cap. We cleared a lot of it out last year.

Now I think that is a misconception I haven't seen anywhere this year that says we are close to our cap. We cleared a lot of it out last year.

The fact still remains you have to overpay all your draftees from interstate. Rankine already earning over the AFL average from 2021 onwards and he hasn't even played a game yet.

Whether you're currently close to your cap I have no idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back