Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think he can and will.

Not as flashy as some of the others obviously but he will be a very good AFL footballer. My only query is how long it'll take him, some of those big kids take a while to adjust to not having such a size advantage.

Think he falls in between our 2 picks as they stand.

Is there any reason why Will Gould is not in the conversation for top 4-5?

Does he have a missing quality or is it just a case of the others offer more?

I do like the idea of a 97kg youngster dashing off half back and kicking 60 metres.....

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is he the new Shannon Hurn?

He’d be a good get

Did anyone see the article on AFL.com about how the 2020 draft will be the most compromised in history (Link below)?

I wonder if that changes our strategy. Like many I've felt like we need to protect our 1st next year at all costs because, well, it usually gets worse before it gets better, and that pick could be very high.

But just thinking outside the box a bit, are we better off swinging for the fences in this draft/trade period, knowing that we can go after Edwards with the F/S next year, and considering a huge proportion of the talent is already accounted for in the 2020 draft.

I'll bet with our current perception throughout the AFL, teams list managers will be clamoring for a shot at our 2020 1st round pick. Would probably pay a kings ransom for it!

I know its a super risky strategy, but it could also have a exceptionally high pay off!

Did anyone see the article on AFL.com about how the 2020 draft will be the most compromised in history (Link below)?

I wonder if that changes our strategy. Like many I've felt like we need to protect our 1st next year at all costs because, well, it usually gets worse before it gets better, and that pick could be very high.

But just thinking outside the box a bit, are we better off swinging for the fences in this draft/trade period, knowing that we can go after Edwards with the F/S next year, and considering a huge proportion of the talent is already accounted for in the 2020 draft.

I'll bet with our current perception throughout the AFL, teams list managers will be clamoring for a shot at our 2020 1st round pick. Would probably pay a kings ransom for it!

I know its a super risky strategy, but it could also have a exceptionally high pay off!

Use it as part of a deal to get Luko. This year or next - don't really care.

Riley Thilthorpe?

Perhaps retain it (unless we somehow manage to get lots of r1 picks this year and loaded up with draftees).

Since many of the promising looking players are tied to Academy/FS's, having an early pick will give us choice of the remaining available players rather than having to pick over what's left after many clubs have had their go. Could even have swings at the tied up players to see what we could shake loose.

Plus an early pick could mean we get another player before having to match a bid for Borlase or Edwards.

Perhaps retain it (unless we somehow manage to get lots of r1 picks this year and loaded up with draftees).

Since many of the promising looking players are tied to Academy/FS's, having an early pick will give us choice of the remaining available players rather than having to pick over what's left after many clubs have had their go. Could even have swings at the tied up players to see what we could shake loose.

Plus an early pick could mean we get another player before having to match a bid for Borlase or Edwards.
Yeah I understand that strategy too, and its one that I think most people would do (for obvious reasons). There's a lot of very easy to follow logic behind it.

For me though I think its important to understand the ying and the yang in terms of strategic options during trade week. I.e. if 90% of list managers would do 1 thing because its the 'safer move', do we want to think like the 90%, or the 10%?

And to me, last year we went with the 10%. It was aggressive and risky, but I liked it. It might not have payed off as richly as we originally hoped, but i'm just happy we had the balls to not always put our eggs in the safe basket.

This year, I think we (as fans) might need to be ready for the team to do something equally or more unsafe if we want to pull off the offseason we need!

Similarities are there, but imo Hurn was better at the same age.
I haven’t seen enough of either at draft age to know.

Was taken 13 overall in 2005 though, so was probably a bit underrated. Was a strong draft too though.

It was more just the physical similarities and position played that made me think it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t seen enough of either at draft age to know.

Was taken 13 overall in 2005 though, so was probably a bit underrated. Was a strong draft too though.

It was more just the physical similarities and position played that made me think it.

Hurn was a gun for 2 years predraft for a strong centrals.
I remember crows hoping him and varcoe would slip to us but just missed out.
We ended up with pfeifer and Douglas instead or Hurn and Varcoe 😭

Yeah I understand that strategy too, and its one that I think most people would do (for obvious reasons). There's a lot of very easy to follow logic behind it.

For me though I think its important to understand the ying and the yang in terms of strategic options during trade week. I.e. if 90% of list managers would do 1 thing because its the 'safer move', do we want to think like the 90%, or the 10%?

And to me, last year we went with the 10%. It was aggressive and risky, but I liked it. It might not have payed off as richly as we originally hoped, but i'm just happy we had the balls to not always put our eggs in the safe basket.

This year, I think we (as fans) might need to be ready for the team to do something equally or more unsafe if we want to pull off the offseason we need!
Hopefully they know when to gamble and when not to.

me-me-what-happened-to-you-i-sold-all-my-body-parts-27286422-e-jpg.741248

Is there any reason why Will Gould is not in the conversation for top 4-5?

Does he have a missing quality or is it just a case of the others offer more?

I do like the idea of a 97kg youngster dashing off half back and kicking 60 metres.....

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s not a key position and he’s fully developed

Compare to Will day who has ALOT of improvement in him brings them about evens

Good to see our boy Charlie Comben back on the weekend after missing with an achilles strain last week, still no Gippy Captain Brock Smith but.

1.30 PM EST Ikon Park Saturday 7th

Players of interest :

Gippy Power : #2 Caleb Serong, #4 Sam Flanders, #6 Riley Baldi, #17 Charlie Comben, #19 Fraser Phillips

Western Jets : #18 Emmerson Jeka, #20 Darcy Cassar, #7 Daly Andrews

Last edited:
11 AM EST Ikon Park Saturday 7th

Players to watch :

Sandy Dragons : #2 Darcy Chirgwin, #4 Finn Maginnis [Hawks F/S], #13 Louis Butler, #11 Hugo Ralphsmith, #12 Charlie Dean, #5 Ryan Byrnes, #6 Miles Bergman

Calder Cannons : #21 Harrison Jones, #8 Sam Ramsay, #38 Brodie Newman, #1 Daniel Mott

Last edited:

Will Gould has a lot of development in him. I hate the talk of man child, they won’t get better. That’s BS. Thing is about solid young men is they know how to use their body. Look at Fog

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back