Game Day Geelong Cats v Collingwood, Finals Week 1 - 19:50 AEST, Sep 06, 2019 - No umpiring complaints during game.

Who will win?

• Geelong <10

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Geelong 10+ to <30

Votes: 33 19.6%
  • Geelong by 30+

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Collingwood <10

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Collingwood 10+ to <30

Votes: 66 39.3%
  • Collingwood by 30+

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mate, butt out - wasn't giving any relevance between last year and this year, just having a bit of banter with a Tigers fan.
Sheeshh.
Keep your 'sense' and your 'eyes' to yourself.
Sorry mate, i just went back and checked ... thought you were a Pie fan using it as genuine ammunition in an actual disagreement 😂 my bad, didn’t see it was just a bit of fun.

Just sick of it being brought up as a serious retort in an argument hahah

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Yeah we were lucky that in 2017 it was against GWS. Last year you were way more hungry and the flogging showed.
You guys are confident in beating anyone so I reckon you'll defiantly make the GF and probably win it.
I'm not confident as others seem for tomorow and I'm worried that if dogs win we are looking at straight sets!

It's why a majority of teams fail to go back to back, its hard to go again the next year, its a long season. West Coast will find this next week when Geelong put up more of a fight than Essendon or if they do get through that, in the prelim.

Our game plan last year of jumping teams in the first qtr was ideal coming up against a team who had the week off, same thing tonight although both coming off the weeks rest. I'm not confident at all, trouble is I really want you to lose tomorrow night but I'd also much prefer to play Brisbane in the prelim!!!

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
It was everything that is wrong with todays game. Plenty of fumbleball, pressure the opposition into turnovers. Stop start kicks to the wings, doth teams played not to lose instead of trying to win. Horrible. I’m starting not to feel any enjoyment watch this crap every week.
Then stop watching it.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
True, but they dropped there because they lost some winnable games at home. A trip to hopefully GHMBA stadium against a fired up Cats will be a lot tougher than Essendon!!!

Who’s underestimating you? Was a very simple fact on last years non performance, nothing to do with this year. Besides no one is underestimating Richmond given they are already into a prelim according to most despite still got an away game to win against a side who very much earned a top two spot.

You are hoping for a pure corrupt, unjust decision? You are seriously hoping for that? Surely you see the complete blatant injustice in giving the Pies the advantage of the G, then one week later, turning around and denying it to WC?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Then stop watching it.

You know what I kinda am. Not to long ago I could sit down and watch up to nine games a week but this season in particular i’ve been struggling even to watch my own team play. Every game has the some pattern and style it’s just boring imo. The game has taken one hell of a nose dive! Is it the new rules? Probably because teams put speed and athleticism ahead of pure football skills? Or maybe the game is to over coached? whatever it is it’s crap in my eyes.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
You are hoping for a pure corrupt, unjust decision? You are seriously hoping for that? Surely you see the complete blatant injustice in giving the Pies the advantage of the G, then one week later, turning around and denying it to WC?

No, I'm suggesting the AFL stick to the same rules they've always had, play the final at the best venue. It makes zero sense to make the Cats have to play West Coast at the MCG when GHMBA stadium is more than adequate for the game, just like Spotless is fine for GWS v Bulldogs tomorrow, but if it was Collingwood or even Sydney, the game would be at the SCG.

The only reason to play the game at the MCG is if Richmond win tomorrow and the AFL want a final at the MCG to give away free tickets to their corporates...

Instead of whinging like a b!tch for 2 weeks about stuff out of his control , you reckon Chris Scott might have given some thought to tagging Sidebottom ?

I wonder how much of that crap effects the players mentally? The Bye, The Home Final.

Great effort by the boys absolutely gutted for Greenwood he is extremely underrated.

Dangerfield was just unstoppable absolute freak

Have said it for years, Hawkins gets way to much praise, has simular career stats to Taylor Walker who gets bashed weekly, played two good finals and still living of the 2011 game which Geelong supporters seem to be happy with doing.

Anyway great game Cats, never looked out of it and don't ride them off next week especially when you have Dangerfield.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
No, I'm suggesting the AFL stick to the same rules they've always had, play the final at the best venue. It makes zero sense to make the Cats have to play West Coast at the MCG when GHMBA stadium is more than adequate for the game, just like Spotless is fine for GWS v Bulldogs tomorrow, but if it was Collingwood or even Sydney, the game would be at the SCG.

The only reason to play the game at the MCG is if Richmond win tomorrow and the AFL want a final at the MCG to give away free tickets to their corporates...

Haha no it's not. Not even close. It holds like 36k. WC have close to 90k members, not saying they will all go but they will still get a decent amount wanting to go over. General fans and neutrals will want to go too. At the G, they would get 45k+, possibly 55k+ that's alot of missed out revenue.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Haha no it's not. Not even close. It holds like 36k. WC have close to 90k members, not saying they will all go but they will still get a decent amount wanting to go over. General fans and neutrals will want to go too. At the G, they would get 45k+, possibly 55k+ that's alot of missed out revenue.

If Geelong hosts West Coast during the year, it’d be at Geelong, it’s fine there, it’s fine here. They don’t play Collingwood there during the season so it would have made zero sense to play a final there. The situations are totally different, but it seems West Coast fans are scared of playing there are you? Surely if you’re as good as everyone says, you’d play them and win anywhere?

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
If Geelong hosts West Coast during the year, it’d be at Geelong, it’s fine there, it’s fine here. They don’t play Collingwood there during the season so it would have made zero sense to play a final there. The situations are totally different, but it seems West Coast fans are scared of playing there are you? Surely if you’re as good as everyone says, you’d play them and win anywhere?

You are talking as if this is some high school footy match. This is WC, with major sponsors, board members, 85000 paying members and 100s of thousands of fans around the country and your saying just to prove we arent scared and we are going to take a major revenue hit and ignore all them and puff our chests up and say let's go to Geelong!

This is the real world mate. Just think a little bit.

Usually Collingwood wear black shorts and cats white shorts in these games

Eddie and Costa had a hand shake agreement 20 years ago that Pies would wear black shorts and black socks, Cats would wear white shorts and hoop socks, 2011 for example.

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
I find it rather odd that according to practically every expert and commentator Collingwood totally outplayed them by a good margin, Geelong were jumped early, looked pretty ordinary otherwise and have a lot of work to do to stand a chance next week. Then I look at the score line and see a difference of 10 points.

Collingwood went the entire last quarter scoring all of... nothing, for a total of 61 points. They also happened to manage just 76 points against Essendon in their last match. What I take from that is, people should pay a little more attention to just how close Geelong got despite an apparent vastly superior Collingwood on the night. They were good certainly, but they will need to be even better again to win the whole thing.

They can win it, but unlike some, I still see a close 10 point win that leaves questions as much as anything.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
You know what I kinda am. Not to long ago I could sit down and watch up to nine games a week but this season in particular i’ve been struggling even to watch my own team play. Every game has the some pattern and style it’s just boring imo. The game has taken one hell of a nose dive! Is it the new rules? Probably because teams put speed and athleticism ahead of pure football skills? Or maybe the game is to over coached? whatever it is it’s crap in my eyes.

I don't know what you are watching. The last game of the year in 2018 was called the best GF in history by many observers. Tonight's game may have been a dour arm wrestle but the crowd was involved and enthralled from the opening bounce because of what was at stake. I have lost count of the number of finals I have attended-some unforgettable and some very forgettable going right back to the late sixties. Many of the best finals I have seen in the fifty five years I have been going to the footy have been played in the last five years. Richmond and Brisbane play a very different brand as do the Eagles and Dogs. Styles and opponents will often be the key predictor as to whether you will watch a fast paced, high scoring affair or an arm wrestle. When we played the Lions early this year we kicked around thirty six goals between the two of us in a game played at an electric pace. Was that crap? Was the brilliant tigers vs Eagles clash two weeks ago crap?

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
You are talking as if this is some high school footy match. This is WC, with major sponsors, board members, 85000 paying members and 100s of thousands of fans around the country and your saying just to prove we arent scared and we are going to take a major revenue hit and ignore all them and puff our chests up and say let's go to Geelong!

This is the real world mate. Just think a little bit.

Revenue hit? What revenue are West Coast expected to make from playing a final in Melbourne? Besides with finals ticketing allocations, no West Coast member or sponsor who wanted to go would miss out if a final was played in Geelong, not one...

Pendlebury is a star. The young man made a name for himself tonight.

Razor Ray should never umpire a final, ever.

Watched him the last 3 minutes in the centre of the ground just itching to have a moment.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
I find it rather odd that according to practically every expert and commentator Collingwood totally outplayed them by a good margin, Geelong were jumped early, looked pretty ordinary otherwise and have a lot of work to do to stand a chance next week. Then I look at the score line and see a difference of 10 points.

Collingwood went the entire last quarter scoring all of... nothing, for a total of 61 points. They also happened to manage just 76 points against Essendon in their last match. What I take from that is, people should pay a little more attention to just how close Geelong got despite an apparent vastly superior Collingwood on the night. They were good certainly, but they will need to be even better again to win the whole thing.

They can win it, but unlike some, I still see a close 10 point win that leaves questions as much as anything.

Which was more than we’ve scored against Geelong in the last 3 years at least...We made a GF last year when we couldn’t score that much against Geelong...

Everyone talks up West Coast for beating a team who less than a month ago were belted by 100 points, but want to talk down us beating the top team, fine, let us slip under the radar whilst West Coast get a reality check

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Revenue hit? What revenue are West Coast expected to make from playing a final in Melbourne? Besides with finals ticketing allocations, no West Coast member or sponsor who wanted to go would miss out if a final was played in Geelong, not one...

We have more members than Collingwood. You know that right? So why isnt it good enough for Collingwood but WC need to show how not scared they are?

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
We have more members than Collingwood. You know that right? So why isnt it good enough for Collingwood but WC need to show how not scared they are?

Because our members are actually in Melbourne, if 50k WC members are planning to come over for the game next Friday night, then you might have a point, somehow I can’t see that happening...You sure as hell aren’t getting 94k there next Friday night, hell you yourself said it would be only 45k!

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
Which was more than we’ve scored against Geelong in the last 3 years at least...We made a GF last year when we couldn’t score that much against Geelong...
You certainly did make a Grand Final last year, I remember it well :)!
I hope for your sake De Goey gets back. Then again if the Eagles can win minus NicNat, Gaff and Sheppard and the team depth and belief is good enough, I guess it shouldn't matter;)
As for us, thank god Nic is back, we badly need him and that probably says as much about where we are at as is needed.
We will need to find another gear again undoubtedly and perform under more pressure than Essendon provided. Hopefully see you in a G/F replay!

Last edited:

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Because our members are actually in Melbourne, if 50k WC members are planning to come over for the game next Friday night, then you might have a point, somehow I can’t see that happening...

But the smallest stadium in the victora would suffice? Lol. It's not just eagles members who would go to the game.

Back