Toast 11 Prelims in 22 Seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Congrats to the club on reaching another preliminary final, its 9th since 2002.

Prelims = (2002, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2018, 2019)

Since 2002, this is the number of prelim final appearances for each club:
  • Geelong = 10
  • Collingwood = 9
  • Sydney = 7
  • Hawthorn = 6
  • St Kilda = 5
  • Port Adelaide = 5
  • Adelaide = 5
  • West Coast = 5
  • Western Bulldogs = 4
  • Brisbane = 3
  • Fremantle = 3
  • North Melbourne = 3
  • Richmond = 3
  • GWS = 3
  • Melbourne = 1
  • Carlton = 0
  • Essendon = 0
  • Gold Coast = 0
We've had a good run, but just haven't translated it into more silverware in the end. Hopefully 2019 changes all of that! :D

Last edited:

I called SEN on my drive home from the game. Since 02, we’ve made back to back grand finals every 8 years.

02/03 then 10/11 then 18, lock us in for a win in a fortnight and another grand final berth!

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Before people start whining about us failing to convert enough of our chances.

Check the dates.

Expansion clubs with armchair rides from the AFL.

We have done about as well as can be expected.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Great analysis. fu** we're a fun team to follow.

i'd love to have your attitude....fun team to follow?...i was watching the game last night with my fellow younger collingwood supporter and there was no fun involved. It was nervous joy followed by tense clock watching; Just after the siren sounded, he asked me how I put up with all those losses over the years and i said to him that it has definitely had an impact on my life. I told him that I would have sold my soul to the devil pre 1990 to see just one premiership. Since then it hasnt got much easier. Seeing that Sheed goal every second minute on the fox promotional adds still cuts me like a knife. There's a lot of words that can be used to describe the journey but fun isnt one of them for me.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
i'd love to have your attitude....fun team to follow?...i was watching the game last night with my fellow younger collingwood supporter and there was no fun involved. It was nervous joy followed by tense clock watching; Just after the siren sounded, he asked me how I put up with all those losses over the years and i said to him that it has definitely had an impact on my life. I told him that I would have sold my soul to the devil pre 1990 to see just one premiership. Since then it hasnt got much easier. Seeing that Sheed goal every second minute on the fox promotional adds still cuts me like a knife. There's a lot of words that can be used to describe the journey but fun isnt one of them for me.

Why bother with it then? To me the likelihood of winning the big dance is so slim that I think you need to find something else about the game to enjoy otherwise it'd just be torture.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
PonsfordMagpie i’m a little miffed at your opening post.

You should be highlighting Carlton as a big fat zero.

Glory be.

:p

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Why bother with it then? To me the likelihood of winning the big dance is so slim that I think you need to find something else about the game to enjoy otherwise it'd just be torture.

I bother because I have no choice. I cant not bother. I cant just go and follow the premier league or something similar.

And yes, I find ways to deal with the torture and I feel fantastic the days after a great win. But I just wouldnt call it a fun experience not to win premierships.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I bother because I have no choice. I cant not bother. I cant just go and follow the premier league or something similar.

And yes, I find ways to deal with the torture and I feel fantastic the days after a great win. But I just wouldnt call it a fun experience not to win premierships.

Fair enough. It seems you enjoy the wins along the way. Probably other things too. Losing premierships sucks, not saying it doesn't. I loved last nights game even though it was tense. I got a lot of enjoyment out of Wills being a wrecking ball, Elliott's epic smother (the dude must be part cheetah, or the flashes love child or something) Howe's big smother. A lot of big moments last night.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough. It seems you enjoy the wins along the way. Probably other things too. Losing premierships sucks, not saying it doesn't. I loved last nights game even though it was tense. I got a lot of enjoyment out of Wills being a wrecking ball, Elliott's epic smother (the dude must be part cheetah, or the flashes love child or something) Howe's big smother. A lot of big moments last night.
Tays early goal surely flabbergasted both sooky Chris and his team lol.

The most startling stat for me is Hawks - 6 Prelims, converted into 4 flags. That is some record!

What a ride it is following the Pies though. Sure it can be frustrating as hell but no one can argue we don't get value for money. At least in my opinion you can't.

What a horrible strike rate turning them into premierships. Only 22.2% ;)

:p
Sorry Tarkyn, but I think you'll find converting 8 prelim finals into 1 flag = 12.5% :eek:

So it's even worse than you've stated.

If only we could be half a successful as Hawks strike rate (67%), we'd have won 2 premierships after competing in 8 prelims.

If winning a game of footy is truly a 50/50 chance over the last 18 seasons, we should've converted those 9 prelims in to 4.5 Grand Final berths (we've made 5, so check).
Further, we should convert those 4.5 Grand Final berths in to 2.25 Premierships (which we have not, yet).
Putting it like that, we're not too behind, but could be far better. I like the 4 Hawks flags they got from 6 prelims :)

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Making the prelim was the pass mark for me this year. And with the talent on our list it should be the set pass mark for next year too.

I said the same thing at the beginning of the year. But I never expected it to happen like this. We all thought we were screwed a month ago. But now by hook or by crook we are at prelim and anything can happen from there.

I remember saying with Beams added it should make the ride easier but he has turned out to be a non factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back