Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah Geelong seems to trade their top picks out for experienced talent.
Notwithstanding, his record developing younger players is extremely poor. Hopefully it improves with a change in focus by the club not to trade away their highest draft asset for another experienced player this year.

Which is what a lot of clubs do if they believe they are close to the mark.

His record has not much to write home about yet, that's not being argued - however it is also impossible to ignore the fact that a) we've had basically no high draft picks (and yes that's a symptom of trading, no denial), b) a few of the players most likely from the limited picks we have used have missed a LOT of footy with injury, and c) that time of development being a focus hasn't come yet. Maybe now is that time, I'm not sure. My gut feel is that a couple of decent 25-year-old players with a decent amount of experience but enough speed and youth would have us on the top bracket but maybe I'm wrong. I desperately don't want to start from the bottom though. Some supporters are happy enough to miss finals for half a dozen years if it means a full blown charge down the track. I would rather be competing every year and crossing the fingers that at some point we get the combination right.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I do wonder whether subconsciously the stated Geelong goal of playing finals every year is a factor. We generally succeed at that goal but then do not much more.

I think in theory the approach is sound. Keep making it and there are bound to be seasons where you're good enough/the opposition is beatable enough that you will make a PF and maybe a GF and have a shot. On the flip side a team like Adelaide this entire century prior to last year's GF is proof that it doesn't necessarily work.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Now 3-8 in finals since the 2011 flag.

For a club who's constantly up there and has had 4x top 4 finishes in those 6 years (a great achievement), it's a sobering record. No grand finals.

What is going on there? Are they simply marking time and middling: not good enough to truly challenge and not regenerating either?

Do they need a change in philosophy?

That 3-8 in finals is now 3-10, and they’ve got the reigning premiers next week.

Five top 4 finishes in that time.

A straight sets exit from top spot would surely raise some major questions...?

It’s quite strange really, they look so good throughout the H&A season.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
That 3-8 in finals is now 3-10, and they’ve got the reigning premiers next week.

Five top 4 finishes in that time.

A straight sets exit from top spot would surely raise some major questions...?

It’s quite strange really, they look so good throughout the H&A season.
They were pretty s**t the second half of the season. This year, in particular, would be disappointing for their fans, at 11-1 they looked the real deal.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Didn't think they would this season. Worst number 1 going into a Finals series from memory.

They have been mid table post halfway.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Every year Geelong get into finals because of their special home ground and every year they lose finals. It's an anomaly of our great game.Despite this mediocre team getting a free ride every year, Chris Scott blames the AFL ,the weather ect , and football is the poorer for it.
When will the AFL act to rid this team of their unfair advantage that ruins the finals every year? Chris Scott has done a good job pretending they are persecuted, but the real elephant in the room is the free 8 wins given to Geelong every year on their cheat ground.
Hey Geelong, take a leaf out of West Coast's book and get some normal ground dimensions .

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Every year Geelong get into finals because of their special home ground and every year they lose finals. It's an anomaly of our great game.Despite this mediocre team getting a free ride every year, Chris Scott blames the AFL ,the weather ect , and football is the poorer for it.
When will the AFL act to rid this team of their unfair advantage that ruins the finals every year? Chris Scott has done a good job pretending they are persecuted, but the real elephant in the room is the free 8 wins given to Geelong every year on their cheat ground.
Hey Geelong, take a leaf out of West Coast's book and get some normal ground dimensions .
Brilliant post, absolutely spot on, they are their own worst enemy by wanting so many home games, all it does is set them up to fail

Jul 27, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Their development of young players since 2011 has been shite. If they hadn't lured Dangerfield they'd be also rans. Recruiting spuds like Tuoy and Rohan is their development strategy. Oh and rehiring Ablett was a master stroke lol

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Their development of young players since 2011 has been s**t. If they hadn't lured Dangerfield they'd be also rans. Recruiting spuds like Tuoy and Rohan is their development strategy. Oh and rehiring Ablett was a master stroke lol
You missed Henderson and S Selwood

Geelong have the cliff approaching something like 13 players will be 29 plus next year and 10 are 1st 22 players then add Kelly leaving

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Watching the game ,it was obvious that Geelong needed to move the ball more quickly but it looked like they didn't know how to do it or hadn't practiced it.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
A tad prem. Qf losers usually revert to form the next week, and then the discussion changes radically.

I wouldnt write the Cats off, but Scott gets too cute fiddling under the hood when the engine was running okay. He is like that in his inrerviews too: everything is too complex and he is all muddled up. He was a pretty low IQ player, it is now necessary for the cats that he learns this immediately and stops behaving like he is a Wittgenstein.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah that's crap I think. Geelong had a good record in Melbourne this year.

It's the selection and the defensive boring game plan.
during the H&A the players didn’t have to hear their coach bitch & moan at every chance he gets about not playing at GMHBA for 2 weeks straight though.

I think theres something in it. The sooking surely does not help.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
They're 55-8 at GMHBA since 2012 and 70-53-2 everywhere else.

It's a weird shaped ground that nobody else seems to be able to play except for the Swans (who've beaten them 3 times). The Cats train on the ground multiple times a week and then play 7-9 games a year there. They've mastered it's unique dimensions and their game plan suits it.

They've been an average team away from the Cattery since 2012 and it shows up in finals when they can't play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back