Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

Haha didn't take long did it

You know what though I know what he means. See defensive high pressure footy is great. Did anyone see the Freo v swans Prelim in 2013 ? The swans got smashed by 4 Freo players within 2 seconds of getting the ball, and they just couldn't move it.

So defensive footy is good. However where Ross style at Freo looked "boring" is that Freo could stop other teams scoring but couldn't score themselves.

The closest I have seen is the Geelong game a few weeks ago. Watch the replay and imagine that style with the giants players

I don't think it would be terrible

However one thing I'm sure of is that we won't win a flag with Leon

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That was a game for the ages. I supported swans, although hard to not be impressed by freo that day. Who knows how different Ross Lyons record would be if Hawkins goal that obviuosly hit the post was overturned

O
I am not disagreeing, but maybe Ross Lyons flaws are hidden if he has 6-7 a graders on the list. He did do a good job with st Kilda and freo 2012-2015. He also might be better having had his ego dented a bit
I just think he is past it

His man management is poor- ex players were quick to stick the boot in when he lost his job. I just don’t think we need the risk.

His man management is poor- ex players were quick to stick the boot in when he lost his job. I just don’t think we need the risk.
Saw it with Eade too. Some of the coaches of that era don't translate well to managing players these days.

Wouldn't mind adding Tudor to our coaching staff and has lived in Sydney before so a move up here wouldn't be a big deal to him
North Melbourne assistant coach Leigh Tudor will depart the club, continuing the Roos’ coaching makeover. Tudor, 49, was contracted for next season but yesterday told club officials he would move on. Tudor was in charge of the forwards this season but was overlooked in favour of Rhyce Shaw for the interim coaching position. After successful stints at Geelong, St Kilda and Sydney, he is certain to find a new job at a rival club.

His old Saints players speak in glowing terms.

Ross and Roos coaching records are very similar. A handful of inches from having the same number of flags.

Yet many (not Giants fans haha) have Roos as the great mentor and Ross as damaged goods.

With that said I wouldn’t touch Ross as head coach as his footy is too boring.

I understand this will attract criticism but so be it. I also understand that Leon has limitations

But for two of the most sought after players in the league (Kelly and now Cogs) to recommit to the giants is a massive deal for the club.

Obviously their reasons are varied and complex but I cant believe they would sign on if they thought Leon had no vision/game plan/ plan B as have been the accusations here.

My question is... how much do we attribute Leon's man management skills to this retention success?

Have never questioned his man management.
That is 100%.

Just that we are someone light on tactics.
That's where we appoint a gameday tactician.
to be honest though, he coached the majority of games from the bench which suggests the overall tactical responses were being driven by his assistants, it's probable that one of them needs reassignment/replacement

GWS Giants coach Leon Cameron and general manager Wayne Campbell are set to come under pressure in an extensive review following the end of the season.
Club director Jimmy Bartel raised eyebrows on Monday, when he stated that Campbell's role as well as the roles of those below him will be reviewed. The Giants' coaching staff, including Cameron, will also be subjected to the review.

I like that Bartel is questioning and being disruptive.

The easy thing to do is to sit on our digs and be content. Finals are an achievement, the players seem very happy and bond beautifully together. Leon is a smart guy and gets around the players well so there are a lot of good things to be happy with.

The questioning re injuries and management is relevant. Some drafting and list management questions re ruck and the look of our midfield need to be addressed. Overall we’ve drafted quite well however we are becoming very one paced and I fear us getting exploited like Adelaide if we don’t accept the modern game requires an agile list.

I’m happy for Leon to remain if we can get him some experienced and gun help. He also needs to accept he stuffed up re the ruck position and relying on spare parts players won’t cut it. We need to understand if we bring in Green then we probably need to develop Hill into a proper mid and also bring in another.

We’ve looked damaging with Williams in the midfield, why is that the case? Because he’s one of the few guys we have with breakaway pace. We lost Treloar and Shiel who had that agility and replaced them with Hopper and Taranto who are both great in their own ways but also both slow. Caldwell is medium paced but gets a lot of it whilst Hately could be the odd man out as he’s also one paced but does have a tank.

Love Taranto, Hopper and Caldwell, and Green might be better than all of them, but it would be nice to bring in some speed around them or we will get cut up by faster teams going forward.

2 years ago we addressed small forward and brought in two nice players in Daniels and Langdon. This year we need a half back (preferably a good user with speed), a fast mid to compliment Green and two senior rucks.

Hopefully they address what is glaringly obvious.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that Bartel is questioning and being disruptive.

The easy thing to do is to sit on our digs and be content. Finals are an achievement, the players seem very happy and bond beautifully together. Leon is a smart guy and gets around the players well so there are a lot of good things to be happy with.

The questioning re injuries and management is relevant. Some drafting and list management questions re ruck and the look of our midfield need to be addressed. Overall we’ve drafted quite well however we are becoming very one paced and I fear us getting exploited like Adelaide if we don’t accept the modern game requires an agile list.

I’m happy for Leon to remain if we can get him some experienced and gun help. He also needs to accept he stuffed up re the ruck position and relying on spare parts players won’t cut it. We need to understand if we bring in Green then we probably need to develop Hill into a proper mid and also bring in another.

We’ve looked damaging with Williams in the midfield, why is that the case? Because he’s one of the few guys we have with breakaway pace. We lost Treloar and Shiel who had that agility and replaced them with Hopper and Taranto who are both great in their own ways but also both slow. Caldwell is medium paced but gets a lot of it whilst Hately could be the odd man out as he’s also one paced but does have a tank.

Love Taranto, Hopper and Caldwell, and Green might be better than all of them, but it would be nice to bring in some speed around them or we will get cut up by faster teams going forward.

2 years ago we addressed small forward and brought in two nice players in Daniels and Langdon. This year we need a half back (preferably a good user with speed), a fast mid to compliment Green and two senior rucks.

Hopefully they address what is glaringly obvious.
I totally agree on those draft priorities

That was a game for the ages. I supported swans, although hard to not be impressed by freo that day. Who knows how different Ross Lyons record would be if Hawkins goal that obviuosly hit the post was overturned
Might have been another goal!

I thought Melissa was already back working for us?

But hey I'm all for both of them getting life memberships.

The culture they built at our great club is there for all to see.
Absolutely - we can’t have enough good people around the club

Dunno about melissa

Been highly critical of coaching but credit where it is due they nailed it today. If we draw the Lions next week it should be exactly the same, only way to play young teams.

Richmond look irrepressible...

All credit to Leon & management for out-thinking the White King.
As said elsewhere, if Giants beats Lions, Cameron won't be questioned til finals 2020.

Someone may have over-revved Toby's engine, but we'll see the outcome Tuesday night.
There will be a penalty you'd think, or else why bother citing him?
The Lions lose Robinson, we mightn't be able to play Toby.

As said elsewhere, if Giants beats Lions, Cameron won't be questioned til finals 2020.

Someone may have over-revved Toby's engine, but we'll see the outcome Tuesday night.

I think it will be a large fine, 20k with 5k suspended. The vision to me is not conclusive, there is no poke and Bont plays on. His evidence will be critical and there is a players code.

Yeah a number of personalities in the media (Robbo for example) mentioning that this week was a time where leon clearly outcoached the opposition. He said this week showed a clear system whereby we shut down their handball game and forced them to kick long. I agree our work rate without the ball was the best it has been. Clearly the DeBoar to Bont and Reid to hunter worked wonders.

We also showed the ability to go up and down gears very well on the weekend. We slow played long down the line when they had the momentum to get a stoppage (a strength of ours) and we went fast when we had the momentum.

Our forward leading patterns look fantastic when we have all three talls and they seem to be able to rotate between deep forward and lead up target almost seamlessly now.

Beverage tried a bunch of changes and we seemed to counter every one of them. Was great to see

Hey guys

I thought the WB Final was classic Leon Cameron Giants in many ways

Strategically sound

Players motivated

But the F50 entries were not good. Dogs defence is not their strength. And yet halfway through the second the I50s were something like 26-6 for a two goal lead.

Set fire to that level of dominance vs a top quality team and they will make you pay.

I will be surprised and delighted if the Giants make it to the grand final. If they do then clearly something has changed and Leon should be backed in.

However up to now I have not seen anything to change my view that Leon has been a good coach but it is time for a change this off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back