Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure Martin is solely after money. He was very well paid at GC. I reckon he's after a positive supportive environment in which to grow further and achieve some success. I think we'll be very enticing.

I agree it's not all about money but it would be a bitter pill to swallow having to take a pay cut of $150-$200k entering what should be the prime of his career. Especially when there is another option a few suburbs away that pays better and also has a positive and successful environment.

I’m just hoping the Jack Martin situation is purely cause of money looking to be allocated elsewhere.

Tbh I’m not sure why you’d select the direction our club is going instead of the Bulldogs, who also sound like are offering him substantially more.

I can’t see the gameplan here.

Bulldogs looking very good at moment, recent premiership winners, playing finals and some young talent coming through. Naughton, English, bont is still only early twenties.

Despite our second half of the year, we still finished 3rd last and have only won about 9 of our last 50 games.

Can see why Martin would choose them b4 us, particularly with more coin

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why waste our pick in the mid season draft just to cut him at season's end. Makes no sense at all. Stupid move if true.
I assume, like me you watch our games closely, and still have that thought.

Was also thinking, players (like Marlion Pickett and Josh Deluca) judged on a handful of AFL games without an AFL preseason is premature- unless it’s extra curricular activities for Deluca (thought he was/is a solid citizen)

Bulldogs looking very good at moment, recent premiership winners, playing finals and some young talent coming through. Naughton, English, bont is still only early twenties.

Despite our second half of the year, we still finished 3rd last and have only won about 9 of our last 50 games.

This. No matter how we spin it, we just aren’t appealing yet.

One does not leave the stables when the thoroughbreds drop in for a visit donchaknow? I have prepared my finest apple cider, sugar cubes and oat biscuits. Now go away and leave us to chat. :D we have a club to sort out out here. :snort:
In your case wash the Hansom Cab and take Barass wherever he needs to be........

We’ve been consistently told we have $$$$ to spare. Will be weird If we lose Martin for 100k. Other irons in the fire?

Sounds like we're trying to make a statement that we're no longer a retirement fund for want-away players.

You either want to play for us or you don't.

However, if that's the case, I'd expect the ridiculous $1.2-$1.5m offers for opposition players to cease.

Correct. The Dogs are building a very good list.

It often gets overlooked because all the media is on Carlton due to having slightly higher draft picks and being a higher profile club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. No matter how we spin it, we just aren’t appealing yet.

We are very appealing, that's why we came 2nd in the Coniglio race. Papley and Betts want to come. Jack Martin wants us but is torn due to $$.

Big Melbourne club. Exciting new coach and the chance to play with Cripps, Walsh, Weiters, Curnow, McKay, SPS etc. over the next 10+ years. Any player would be tempted for the right price.

Maxing out our salary cap at this stage is probably not the wisest move, given we can all see how much young talent is on the list. There are people who are very good with the numbers and working contracts to get it all kosher, but I could understand setting hard limits on spending for new players. The long-term health of our player payments is important.

I rate Deluca. I would be sad to see him go. I think he deserves at least one preseason.

I think he’s shown more in that small forward role than Polson did and even in the 3 VFL games he had, he again showed more in the middle of the ground than Polson did in the VFL. I would hate for that extra year on Polson’s contract to be the deciding factor in cutting Deluca, as it should be a strait forward decision to keep Deluca over him.

Correct. The Dogs are building a very good list.

It often gets overlooked because all the media is on Carlton due to having slightly higher draft picks and being a higher profile club.
Their midfield is incredible. And young.

Not sure they need another runner but we have seen the way the Eagles and tigers play, that it certainly doesn't hurt to stack your team with outside runners as long as they get back to defend.

I would think this is the next stage of our list build. Any of Papley, grey, butler, Bolton would help this.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

More so if Daniher ends up at the Swans

Hope this happens then.

I’d assume Eddie would be a very small chance if Papley gets done and it is understandable. SOS has declared publically enough times he sees us in a growth from within phase and is obviously keen on sticking to the recruitment plan; ie that quality mid 20’s bracket.

If Eddie gets here great but if not so be it.

Happy for us to take Martin on our terms only. While obviously talented he hasn’t set the world on fire at all and it sounds like SOS is of the same view.

Come play at Carlton Jack and earn the next contract your talent would suggest you should get.

Maxing out our salary cap at this stage is probably not the wisest move, given we can all see how much young talent is on the list. There are people who are very good with the numbers and working contracts to get it all kosher, but I could understand setting hard limits on spending for new players. The long-term health of our player payments is important.

Correct.

Just some perspective for people:

Dow, O'brien and De Koning will be off their rookie contracts next season.
Walsh and Stocker the following season.

You'd expect that would increase our player spending by $1-$1.2m as a minimum.

That's without any increase to the likes of SPS, Fisher, Harry, Weitering to name a few.

I understand that players will retire and cap space will open up, but it seems that with our young talent coming through, we're going to be spending more in the coming years than what we're saving due to retirements.

I think he’s shown more in that small forward role than Polson did and even in the 3 VFL games he had, he again showed more in the middle of the ground than Polson did in the VFL. I would hate for that extra year on Polson’s contract to be the deciding factor in cutting Deluca, as it should be a strait forward decision to keep Deluca over him.
I think both Polson and Deluca are players Bolton pushed for. I think that i think if we knew that Bolton was not gonna stay we would have gone for someone like Dunkley 19 year olds with upside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back