Not open for further replies.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
This is the off field equivalent of work hardery for longery.

There are structural problems preventing us from attaining high level sponsorship deals. Until we sort those out, or make a success of China, nothing will change.
Id argue China saved the club a bit this year, I heard on the grapevine it made a million for the club this year all told ??
I get the drop off of attendances and membership due to the discontent of 10-15% not renewing or attending but also gee what a s**t year for home ground weather events, its like we scheduled a home game everyday it bloody rained, couldnt take a trick - reminded me of 2012.

I do want the club to think outsuide the square with regards to its debt demolition though, we are only ever going to raise so much playing games at AO.

Thought the pre season information day thing was a good idea but was dumb to hold it at Entertainment centre this year, really poor business decision.

The club should be looking for investors to buy into a city pub or similar to get foot traffic through its doors day to day, be interested to know how Hawthorn did it because they were gone 20 odd years ago, now they make obscene amounts of money on the back of those revenues.

But our current model has to change, I really thought Kochie would have had things in place to restructure the club by now, the China thing is certainly a step forward but the club needs more avenues than that to really change our future and not accepting the status quo.

And why we stopped debt demolition stuff is beyond me, like it got swept under the carpet, but with 8 to 11 million of debt, this really needs to be front and centre once again

be interested to know how Hawthorn did it because they were gone 20 odd years ago, now they make obscene amounts of money on the back of those revenues.
poker machines is how Hawthorn did it

Hawthorn generated the most revenue from pokies in the last financial year ($24.3 million) followed by Carlton ($18.4 million), Essendon ($11.6 million), Richmond ($5.3 million) and St Kilda ($2.09 million).

Port Adelaide’s debt is entirely due to the greedy SANFL. We’re better off letting the debt compound until our stadium deal is fixed. No alternative AFL club in SA will produce the numbers we produce and neither the AFL nor the SANFL will allow SA to be a 1 team town. The SANFL must stop bleeding Port dry. It is the height of arrogance to have a 35,000 average attendance as an acceptable break even figure. Break even. Not make a profit. Break even. What in the living *.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
Port Adelaide’s debt is entirely due to the greedy SANFL. We’re better off letting the debt compound until our stadium deal is fixed. No alternative AFL club in SA will produce the numbers we produce and neither the AFL nor the SANFL will allow SA to be a 1 team town. The SANFL must stop bleeding Port dry. It is the height of arrogance to have a 35,000 average attendance as an acceptable break even figure. Break even. Not make a profit. Break even. What in the living fu**.
Correct and a very sad situation
Its astounding the attitude towards the AFL teams from a SANFL viewpoint
Absolute cancer on football in this state

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
I realize it was pokies - Im wondering where they got the money to invest in the first place
Licences for the state's 27,500 poker machine were sold as a result of the government's decision to end the duopoly on licences previously held by Tattersall's and Tabcorp.

The auction raised a total of $981 million, well below market expectations, with many clubs overjoyed at winning 10-year licences for machines at $5500 apiece.

Hawthorn was celebrating after the silent auction, having paid the $5500 minimum for some 100 machines for which it had considered bidding as much as $110,000 each.

They only needed $550k

Thats insane being able to get your hands on 100 machines for that much.
When the market is restricted to victorian clubs, there’s not many players in the game to force up the bid. Genuine clubs can’t afford it, but AFL clubs sure could.

It was also nice of the Vic government to give them another 20 years on the license too

Meanwhile in SA...

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
The membership price freeze is interesting, was it for some good PR?

Are your admin team worried about a further drop in renewals and the freeze might halt that number?

Seems a strange step to take when the club is a bit low on funds.

Would they have taken this option if the supporters weren't so "on edge".

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Are your admin team worried about a further drop in renewals and the freeze might halt that number?

Yes
Yes
Yeah/nah
No

SackHinkley

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

We are throwing our hands in the air and saying it is too hard to offer more value for our members so we are going to race to the lowest common denominator and compete on price.

We are aiming to be Kia when we should be Holden.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
China is a project that requires a decade or two to measure the success.

The first few years, we will make mistakes. We will get better in time, be it under the current regime or next.

Spot on. But they've missed the point. I'd happily contribute an extra $100 to my membership this year if I knew it was going towards paying off Hinkley's contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

China is a project that requires a decade or two to measure the success.

The first few years, we will make mistakes. We will get better in time, be it under the current regime or next.
We would make less mistakes if we listened to people on the ground there and appointed people to either spend half the year in the China or permanently rather than be 100% FIFO effort.

Spot on. But they've missed the point. I'd happily contribute an extra $100 to my membership this year if I knew it was going towards paying off Hinkley's contract.

77E3CAED-48CE-463B-96BE-5AB74CE8300F.jpeg

We would make less mistakes if we listened to people on the ground there and appointed people to either spend half the year in the China or permanently rather than be 100% FIFO effort.

FIFO spells death to international operations.

100% local face, 100% of the time otherwise you are treated with suspicion or “yep I’ll take your money before it runs out”.

ButteredBun

Team Captain
Jul 3, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Nail Hammer and all that. Bottom line is win games, membership stays up.

ButteredBun

Team Captain
Jul 3, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The scarf thing. I'd gladly buy 3 or 4 to help out. Being 150 collecters item. I'd gladly pay extra for my seats. But I'd rather the club do me favours onfield between the 4 big white posts to make my life more enjoyable as a member.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good luck with that.
It won’t even start going anywhere until the club starts publicly going hard on it. We have the fans, the SNAFL doesn’t. Push it as Port and Adelaide are short changed, so the media and general public don’t see it as Port v. everyone else. Do that and the followers at the swamp will get on board down the track (since they have no spine to lead or go early on anything).

The club should be out there saying the stadium deal needs renegotiating, we’re in serious discussions about leaving the SANFL (they want the revenue we generate there) and think the AFL should take over development of juniors as the SANFL do such a poor job. Hit them hard and continually on multiple fronts to make their life hell and tell them behind doors we won’t shut up in public until we get a better stadium deal and a seat on the SMA.

Port will be here in 20 years (despite the current regimes ineptitude), the SANFL is no guarantee, our unwillingness to go hard against them is keeping them as a millstone around our necks.

The club wants something to engage disaffected Port supporters, given they are too spineless to sack Hinkley or ditch co-captains, a full on war to the death against the SANFL is one way to do it. Softly softly behind closed doors doesn’t work with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back