Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think both Polson and Deluca are players Bolton pushed for. I think that i think if we knew that Bolton was not gonna stay we would have gone for someone like Dunkley 19 year olds with upside

Bolton went that week, so I don't it was Bolton who pushed for Deluca. Boltons bullet was loaded in the chamber well before the mid season draft.

Clubs had 120 opportunities to pick up players at the end of 2018 (national and rookie drafts).

Then they had another 20 or so chances at the beginning of 2019 through the supplemental thingymabob.

THEN you get to mid-season draft and it's slim pickings. You're either picking up 18-19yo kids a bit early (as in before 2019 draft) or you're picking up state league players that have been passed over in national drafts AND now an extra pseudo pre-season draft.

They are older, professional footballers who are mostly a known quantity. You'll know pretty quickly if they are viable long term. And they won't be given the traditional 2-4 years to find their feet.

II like Deluca but I expect turnover of mid-season draft players in general will be very high.

What's going on Ferris? .... You're going all Tom Hanks on us.

You started out with posts more like Big and The Burbs, and now you're getting serious and insightful with Gump and Saving Private Ryan like performances.

Damn you...I been waiting to slip fiefdom in a post for ages.......nicely done :thumbsu:

I so wanted to write it as Fyfedom.... But (very uncharacteristically) chose to stay on point rather than chase the pun... :p

You started out with posts more like Big and The Burbs, and now you're getting serious and insightful with Gump and Saving Private Ryan like performances.

Mumma always said my posts were like a box of chocolates.....

Clubs had 120 opportunities to pick up players at the end of 2018 (national and rookie drafts).

Then they had another 20 or so chances at the beginning of 2019 through the supplemental thingymabob.

THEN you get to mid-season draft and it's slim pickings. You're either picking up 18-19yo kids a bit early (as in before 2019 draft) or you're picking up state league players that have been passed over in national drafts AND now an extra pseudo pre-season draft.

They are older, professional footballers who are mostly a known quantity. You'll know pretty quickly if they are viable long term. And they won't be given the traditional 2-4 years to find their feet.

II like Deluca but I expect turnover of mid-season draft players in general will be very high.

Ive got no problems cutting Deluca as such.

My concern is the waste of time, money and resources in picking him in the first place. He was never picked up with the view of being an A grader, so why not at the very least give him the opportunity to complete a full pre season to truly determine if he has the attributes to make it.

We would have been better off plucking a ruckman with raw potential, or as you mentioned, picking up a player expected to go in the draft a few months earlier than expected and get some time into him if that was the case.

I'll reiterate...an absolutely stupid move recruiting him in the first place, if he is cut.

As others have put forward now, we somehow convince ourselves that we have something other clubs don't.

Reality:
- The Dogs are a recent premiership side, had a dip and look on the rise again....and they're offering more money.
- Us? We have 'hope' and 'promise' and The Teague Train. Ok, we have more than that, but we're not the first port of call for recruits as at times, some of us here can drum up to be the case.

Of course we have our fingers in many pies right now as we should but we're not just going to get players because we're The Blues.

But.. but... we have the best jumper in the league Harks.

😎

As others have put forward now, we somehow convince ourselves that we have something other clubs don't.

Reality:
- The Dogs are a recent premiership side, had a dip and look on the rise again....and they're offering more money.
- Us? We have 'hope' and 'promise' and The Teague Train. Ok, we have more than that, but we're not the first port of call for recruits as at times, some of us here can drum up to be the case.

Of course we have our fingers in many pies right now as we should but we're not just going to get players because we're The Blues.

Wasn't referring to us just being "The Blues", but the following

- Agresta has been in JM and his manager's ear all year. Dogs have only rocked up with their chequebook late in the game
- New coach, performances speak for itself.
- Excellent player retention, Dogs the opposite.
- He would be a key player in our best 22. Dogs not necessarily so.

I think we have a solid chance.

I'm with Agresta/SOS here tho. Don't budge on our offer. If the Dogs rocking up late and offering more money easily sways him then maybe it's for the best honestly.

What's going on Ferris? .... You're going all Tom Hanks on us.

I like it. No pigeonholing. Free to fully stretch the Ferris wheels. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn you...I been waiting to slip fiefdom in a post for ages.......nicely done :thumbsu:
you just can't go past the old three-field crop rotation eh?
I try to apply it in all aspects of life. 🤔 :p

So, in their hour of need. . .

Coniglio can’t play for his team.

Shiel didn’t elevate his, Smith wasn’t playing.

We miss trade targets but I don’t think we would really want to be where GWS or the Bombers are right now.

One capable mid, a developing ruckman with talent, a number of flexible small forwards will help us rise quicker . . . (and we must aim for the best, as we do)

. . . but also wider depth will make us awesome and irresistible (and injury-risk insured) in late finals and grand finals with the talent we have.

Great time to be a Blue. (Crippa/Walsh/Weitering/McKay/Curnow)

Would rather be a top 4 side on a base that is stronger than a home ground advantage or percentage after playing the Suns twice!

So, in their hour of need. . .

Coniglio can’t play for his team.

Shiel didn’t elevate his, Smith wasn’t playing.

We miss trade targets but I don’t think we would really want to be where GWS or the Bombers are right now.

One capable mid, a developing ruckman with talent, a number of flexible small forwards will help us rise quicker . . . (and we must aim for the best, as we do)

. . . but also wider depth will make us awesome and irresistible (and injury-risk insured) in late finals and grand finals with the talent we have.

Great time to be a Blue. (Crippa/Walsh/Weitering/McKay/Curnow)

Would rather be a top 4 side on a base that is stronger than a home ground advantage or percentage after playing the Suns twice!
could add AMT to that as well. Gone off him after watching a lacklustre finals performance.

Last edited:
We are very appealing, that's why we came 2nd in the Coniglio race. Papley and Betts want to come. Jack Martin wants us but is torn due to $$.

Big Melbourne club. Exciting new coach and the chance to play with Cripps, Walsh, Weiters, Curnow, McKay, SPS etc. over the next 10+ years. Any player would be tempted for the right price.

Appealing teams don’t come second on so many occasions..........it’s good to believe though.

could add AMT to that as well. Gone of him after watching a lacklustre finals performance.
Yes but I have an old phone and still have him as ‘possible’. *

* Sorry Reg, I do have great respect for you and totally empathise re info (Just couldn’t resist the line🤪)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back