Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but I have an old phone and still have him as ‘possible’. *

* Sorry Reg, I do have great respect for you and totally empathise re info (Just couldn’t resist the line🤪)
I'm a big fan of reg's posts too. :thumbsu: :)

Appealing teams don’t come second on so many occasions..........it’s good to believe though.

In the past under Bolton we were not appealing, the last few years we won 10% of games or whatever the stat was. Disregard everything prior to this year.

We are 6-5 under Teague with the reigning MVP and Rising Star. We have a list on the rise, there is no doubt ask any opposition supporter.
Coniglio almost came and only didn't because he is loyal to GWS, if he went elsewhere it would be different.
Papley who is in the Swans' top 5 players wants to come to us (only thing holding it up is the Swans).
We will have more quality trade acquisitions this year but it's still one month until trade period, much of what is being talked about is happening outside of media speculation.

In addition, we will have no problems with player retention. There is no chance guys like Cripps, Curnow, McKay, Walsh, Docherty etc. will leave us. They all just signed on at times when we were at our lowest ebb.

Some random thoughts, not sure what it all adds up to though;

7 list spots freed up after delistings. More than many people thought.

After cogs, free agents don't look to be on the agenda, especially after the Ellis news.

Not willing to pay more to secure Martin.

Going all out for Papley. 50/50 at best at this stage.

Barass70 says there isn't anyone else being looked at that hasn't been mentioned.

Looking to use this and next year's 1st to secure trades.

Maybe it adds up to crouch, Papley, cameron, butler?

However, we do have 7 spots to fill, and maybe 8 if deluca goes.

Lots to play out

So, in their hour of need. . .

Coniglio can’t play for his team.

Shiel didn’t elevate his, Smith wasn’t playing.

We miss trade targets but I don’t think we would really want to be where GWS or the Bombers are right now.

One capable mid, a developing ruckman with talent, a number of flexible small forwards will help us rise quicker . . . (and we must aim for the best, as we do)

. . . but also wider depth will make us awesome and irresistible (and injury-risk insured) in late finals and grand finals with the talent we have.

Great time to be a Blue. (Crippa/Walsh/Weitering/McKay/Curnow)

Would rather be a top 4 side on a base that is stronger than a home ground advantage or percentage after playing the Suns twice!

Essendon sure, but GWS ? Please. They've been absolutely decimated by injuries (eg their entire starting midfield has been out for numerous games ). Take that away and we'd love to be where they are

Deluca was picked to fill a short-term need in the context of the previous coach's gameplan. To his credit he was able to find a role after the gameplan tweaks, but now that we have a confirmed senior coach the gameplan will be changing some more, moving us further away from the reasons for selecting Deluca in the first place.

I like Deluca's effort and would prefer him for next year over someone like Polson, but I don't think he would ever be more than depth. If he continues past this year, you'd think it would only be for another year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, getting big name recruits to help Paddy Dangerfield and Selwood hasn't helped Geelong win another flag.

And dare I say, hardly Essendon either.

Still very keen on Papley. Not losing any sleep if we don't get Martin either. Young player retention and development and improvement from within should be our no 1 priority.

Imagine if Dow and LOB put in a massive preseason and it all comes together for them both in 2020 ?

Let's not lose sight of the perspective of our list construction and management (and Salary Cap of course)

Essendon sure, but GWS ? Please. They've been absolutely decimated by injuries (eg their entire starting midfield has been out for numerous games ). Take that away and we'd love to be where they are
Yes but the point is you can’t take that away, it is what it is; and would we really want to perennially miss out on a GF for one excuse or another? (Bad conditioning, suspect coaching, ‘bad luck’)

I dont think it comes down to spending an extra $100k per year on Martin. It comes down to fair price and not overpaying.

We do have cap room, however we also have a lot of talent on our list that needs to be paid in the near future.
If we don't sign a big name, what i think will happen is we get our young players to sign contract extensions and massively front load them so we can use all that banked capspace we currently have, which will allow us to pick up big names in the future.

When you've been at the arse end of the ladder for a long time to start with you're going to have to overpay a bit to get better players to your club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back