FastLane

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2012
club tropicana
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
#TEAMWHAM
Don't forget: the decision to leave out Rhys Stanley (because of the rain which never came) was made by six other people. Not just Chris Scott. It's important that people understand when mistakes are made, it's not Chris Scott acting alone. As for Grundy's influence on the game, he would "have to watch the replay to be certain and the Cats won the clearances" (so Grundy probably wasn't that great anyway, blah blah blah...)

What a ungracious, petulant sook he has turned out to be. They say teams take after their coaches. It's true. A whinging sooky coach for a team of whinging sooks.

My favourite line was when he said the Cats were "in control of the game from the 14 minute mark of the 1st quarter". :D

Clown.

giphy.gif

262ede42ba0523ec4c7ed72920046ebb.jpg

This comment astounds me- I reckon it was pretty obvious for all to see that when one ruckman was taking the ball out of the ruck continuously and banging it on his boot- that he had an influence on the game.

47 hitouts- 12 to advantage, 7 clearances, 7 score involvements and 21 possies is influential in anyones book

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This comment astounds me- I reckon it was pretty obvious for all to see that when one ruckman was taking the ball out of the ruck continuously and banging it on his boot- that he had an influence on the game.

47 hitouts- 12 to advantage, 7 clearances, 7 score involvements and 21 possies is influential in anyones book
Similar to when he claimed Charlie Cameron wasn't the "difference" after his 5 goal bag in a low scoring game and that a couple of Cameron's goals came near the end of the game (as though it was junk time and not a cliffhanger match which went down to the wire, hahaha)

He can never admit he was outwitted or outcoached, or that an opposition star was too good.

According to Chris Scott, Geelong are always in control of 98% of every match and it's the elements which are out of his control (bad weather, bad umpiring, bad kicking) which contribute to the defeat. Never his mistakes or the shortcomings of his own side.

utensil!

He's probably reading Big Footy right now.

**You're a utensil!**

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Really question whether Scott bothered to watch the Pies last match since he could have seen Brodie Grundy doing to Bellchambers what he did to Blitz.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts

Its the only answer he could give without admitting the decision was a monumental *up on their behalf, sometimes I think he inserts these decisions into games just to give himself an out for having no idea as a game day coach, but he'll never admit to it.
He'd be happy for everyone to believe they lost because the weather man forced their ruckman out of the contest, the old, we made the call, but he made us do it mentality.

FastLane

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2012
club tropicana
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
#TEAMWHAM
Its the only answer he could give without admitting the decision was a monumental fu**up on their behalf, sometimes I think he inserts these decisions into games just to give himself an out for having no idea as a game day coach, but he'll never admit to it.
He'd be happy for everyone to believe they lost because the weather man forced their ruckman out of the contest, the old, we made the call, but he made us do it mentality.
You reckon he might have learnt after the Charlie Cameron comments a few weeks ago

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
You reckon he might have learnt after the Charlie Cameron comments a few weeks ago
Oh, he'd be fully aware, but his MO is to deny its existence, its not in his DNA to admit a weakness, for all intents and purposes he's the smartest guy in the room and everyone else is on a need to know basis.

Take away the 2011 finals campaign- where, let's be honest, anyone of us could have won a flag with that side who basically coached themselves (and aided by a bitter Malthouse).

Scott's REAL finals record is 3 wins and 10 losses.

Brad went at 50% in finals with a crap team and a poor and disorganised club.

Let that sink in.

No wonder he sooks and moans and gets defensive around this time- like he's giving excuses before the game has even began. His post match presser last night was hilarious to watch. stubborn, defensive, never takes responsibility himself.
Cats should get rid of him.
Myopic oppo fans fail to see the true problem. It’s all Scott’s fault herp derp.

The true problem lies elsewhere. For all his plaudits, and he is a great recruiter, Wells has barely drafted a good ruckman in nearly 30 years. In that time Barnes, King, Blake and Mumford would be the only decent or better one’s he’s drafted... Since 2011 the ruck in finals proves to be our Achilles heel. We constantly get battered there, and as a result constantly lose the midfield battle and play a finals match on the back foot. Secondly he cannot draft small forwards either. Ronnie Burns, Stokes, Chapman and Stevie J isn’t a good return for a quarter of a century. In today’s football you need pressure forwards to lock it in. Quick nippy blokes who can lock it in but also score. Collingwood last night had Thomas, Elliott, Stephenson... we had Atkins (VFL inside mid tackling machine, but can’t score), Dahlhaus (flanker/mid type), Rohan (impact player who is a tackling machine) and Ablett (who is all goals and little pressure)

Our finals losses in recent years play out in the same fashion. Pressure goes up, we get spanked in the ruck, resultantly spanked in the midfield and then spend the game on the back foot. We can’t get the ball out of defence and ultimately fall short cos we can’t score.

Last night was no different. You and many others can and will point at it being all Scott, but he’s a secondary problem. The same results will happen until they recruit a quality ruckman, good small forwards, and some midfielders with good skills. We could have Norm Smith as coach as it wouldn’t change much.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I love taking the piss out of Scott, as he is a clown.

But I don't think he gets enough credit for 2011 in general. You can't just write it all off - the same team they beat in 2011 absolutely thumped them in the Prelim the year before and they also lost the best player in the league in GAJ. He deserves some credit for that win.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
His decision to drop Stanley because they thought it might rain is up there with Cotchin choosing to kick into the wind as one of the great finals blunders.

Grundy had a field day up against Blicavs and Ratugolea and pretty much did as he pleased, Stanley would have at least kept him honest.

Exactly. Why not just drop Ratugolea, who has not been up to much for a while now?

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
He completely changed our game plan in 2011 as it has been exposed by the Pies in 2010. And adjusted to the loss of our best player. Credit where it is due, and criticism where it is due please.
yeah this comment is right. he definitely evolved it because the pies finally worked it out by the end of 2010. And yeah, Geelong did lose Ablett Jnr. the year Scott became senior coach.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Myopic oppo fans fail to see the true problem. It’s all Scott’s fault herp derp.

The true problem lies elsewhere. For all his plaudits, and he is a great recruiter, Wells has barely drafted a good ruckman in nearly 30 years. In that time Barnes, King, Blake and Mumford would be the only decent or better one’s he’s drafted... Since 2011 the ruck in finals proves to be our Achilles heel. We constantly get battered there, and as a result constantly lose the midfield battle and play a finals match on the back foot.
If Scott needs a ruckman shouldn't he as head coach be insisting that they either draft or trade in someone of reasonable quality?

If Scott needs a ruckman shouldn't he as head coach be insisting that they either draft or trade in someone of reasonable quality?
Ummm... they’ve been trying that for 8 years derp.

Stephenson, Vardy, Simpson, McIntosh, Stanley, Smith, Abbott.

They’ve tried drafting them, they’ve tried trading them. The creme de la creme don’t get traded though. Even decent rucks get sold at a premium. It isn’t an easy problem to fix.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
His decision to drop Stanley because they thought it might rain is up there with Cotchin choosing to kick into the wind as one of the great finals blunders.

Grundy had a field day up against Blicavs and Ratugolea and pretty much did as he pleased, Stanley would have at least kept him honest.
Chris Scott "There was an argument either way, on balance my opinion, and I'm one of umm... about 6 or 7 people that have a say in it, I think yeah.. over the next 24 hours my assessment is we should have played him."

Does anyone else find this part funny? There's a selection panel but at the end of the day you are the head coach pal.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
There can be a bit of overreaction, overall I think he is a good coach. Stuff all draft picks for how long, a poor run with injuries over the last few years (not 2019 though) but keeps the team more than competitive.

Main knocks I have are not developing younger players properly, and the crap game plan we have at the moment, and the stubbornness last night to not admit that maybe it's not a good plan for finals.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I refuse to ever praise Brad over Chris. Chris is more intelligent, less mediocre, less sooky. North's best H&A finish in nearly 10 seasons was 6th! (a sackable offence).

Sure, that finals record is haunting, but if you continue to get your team through season after season in reasonable position, you're doing your job. A couple QF/PF losses doesn't really tip the scales, has to be other reasons. Geelong haven't really had that mix of a devastating season and strong form since 2013, so it's not exactly early 00s Port-level chokes.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a good coach with a sensational win-loss record (home ground advantage not withstanding) and he deserves credit for coaching a premiership in 2011 but he has flaws and the list building has not exactly batted deep for some time now (which again he has to take some responsibility for). For as long as he is the man in charge he will always have the team be ultra competitive inside the frame of top 4 but at the time the stragety will never see them be a genuine contender.

Why is it stupid? It is completely valid- he took over a well oiled machine with a core group of senior players - Scarlett, Chappy, Enright, Corey, Mackie, Ling, stevie J, Kelly -who were basically on field coaches. He stepped into a club that had created it's own culture- that he has NOTHING to do with- and has slowly eroded since.

Add Malthouse hubris in rolling over in last game of the H&A season, leaving an injured Ben Reid on Hawkins and the behind the scenes coaching/Cloke contract destabilisation and it was a perfect storm for a Cats flag.

Most coaches take a few years to put their OWN stamp on THEIR team.

2011 was not HIS team- it was still BOMBERS.

What has he done since?

PS- Update- He is now at 11 finals losses
Pft, I'm not a big Scott fan but if I remember correctly he was the coach in 2011 therefore it was his team lol.
The point you're trying to make would have served you better if you just said 'since 2012'
Bomber was that cooked if he was the coach in 2011 they may not have even made it let alone won it!

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Exactly. Why not just drop Ratugolea, who has not been up to much for a while now?

My main criticism of Scott is that he doesn't fully focus on the now, so he plays guys for development in must win games, he flirts with the team's form by changing things that don't need to be changed (Blivacs was killing it as KPD earlier in the year) and generally acts as if he knows he will be there next year and the following year so he can experiment. The change in Mick Malthouse's coaching when he had a deadline to meet was notable, before that he took a view longer than game to game as well (until that year).

Not that Scott ever explains anything (that's our IP hur dur) but I would like to know why we changed from a high scoring game plan in rounds 1-11 to a defensive, slow play method for the second half of the year - which did not work at all so not like it was a good idea to persist.

Back