Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Gould has a lot of development in him. I hate the talk of man child, they won’t get better. That’s BS. Thing is about solid young men is they know how to use their body. Look at Fog

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hawkins, Walker, Cripps, Hurn.....

All average players I guess.

Gould is going to be a monster.

1/2 time

Sandy Dragons dominating the Calder Cannons, should be a lot further in front considering they've had the bulk of the footy played on their terms.

Dragons 5.2 32
Cannons 0.6 6

For the Dragons Finn Maginnes 16 disposals, Angus Hanrahan 16 disposals, Louis Butler 11 disposals and Ryan Byrnes 12 disposals the major ball winners for the Dragons, medium forward/mid Hugo Ralphsmith with 3.1 dominant in the forward half.

For the Cannons Daniel Mott 9 disposals doing OK and Tall defender Brodie Newman holding back the tide in defence.

Full time

Sandy Dragons 8.7 55
Calder Cannons 1.12 18

Sandy Dragons
Finn Maginnes - 26 disp - 12 kicks - 14 handballs - 1.0
Ryan Byrnes - 26 disp - 13 kicks - 13 handballs
Angus Hanrahan - 29 disp - 21 kicks - 8 handballs - 1.0
Louis Butler - 18 disp - 15 kicks - 3 handballs
Hugo Ralphsmith - 16 disp - 12 kicks - 4 handballs - 3.3

Calder Cannons
Sam Ramsay - 22 disp - 13 kicks - 9 handballs
Daniel Mott - 19 disp - 14 kicks - 5 handballs

Did anyone see the article on AFL.com about how the 2020 draft will be the most compromised in history (Link below)?

I wonder if that changes our strategy. Like many I've felt like we need to protect our 1st next year at all costs because, well, it usually gets worse before it gets better, and that pick could be very high.

But just thinking outside the box a bit, are we better off swinging for the fences in this draft/trade period, knowing that we can go after Edwards with the F/S next year, and considering a huge proportion of the talent is already accounted for in the 2020 draft.

I'll bet with our current perception throughout the AFL, teams list managers will be clamoring for a shot at our 2020 1st round pick. Would probably pay a kings ransom for it!

I know its a super risky strategy, but it could also have a exceptionally high pay off!

All pends on the Edwards situation really.

If we looked to trade it this year, we really would want a big, big reward for it as it represents a significant risk.

If it were the piece involved for Luko, I'd take him and run, if not, I Just don't see any high enough value picks for this draft that suit our needs.

We've already got plenty of talent in the reserves that need significant AFL game time next year in Jones, McHenry, Fog, McAdam, Berg, McPherson*, Gooch, Stengle and Davis.

Then on top of that (pending trades) we have our Pick 3, and pick ~20 from next year most likely looking to get at minimum a taste of AFL football. Potentially more if some of the high profile trades being touted happen.

2020 draft Edwards looks like a top 10 imo should we get access to him, Borlase maybe mid draft. Butts, Hamill and Scholl will all be demanding game time by then.

That's a lot of youth to run through in the 2020 season, and another 4 almost definitely needing a good run at it in 2021. Imo, we shouldn't be stocking up on picks this year anymore than we already have. I'd be open to trading 3 for a two mid-high firsts to pick up a Gould/Stephens/Flanders/Robertson etc combo, but otherwise we're just stacked for youth.

*Depending on injury

We've already got plenty of talent in the reserves that need significant AFL game time next year in Jones, McHenry, Fog, McAdam, Berg, McPherson*, Gooch, Stengle and Davis.

Then on top of that (pending trades) we have our Pick 3, and pick ~20 from next year most likely looking to get at minimum a taste of AFL football. Potentially more if some of the high profile trades being touted happen.

2020 draft Edwards looks like a top 10 imo should we get access to him, Borlase maybe mid draft. Butts, Hamill and Scholl will all be demanding game time by then.

That's a lot of youth to run through in the 2020 season, and another 4 almost definitely needing a good run at it in 2021. Imo, we shouldn't be stocking up on picks this year anymore than we already have. I'd be open to trading 3 for a two mid-high firsts to pick up a Gould/Stephens/Flanders/Robertson etc combo, but otherwise we're just stacked for youth.

*Depending on injury
The more the better IMO ... with potentially trading out a lot of in-their-prime players this year we might be able to get a good number of good picks and really stockpile talented youth. This is probably the first time we get to do this since our start up concession days?

Not all players we bring in will become great players but the more we can get, the better our chance of building a large list of good players.

The more the better IMO ... with potentially trading out a lot of in-their-prime players this year we might be able to get a good number of good picks and really stockpile talented youth. This is probably the first time we get to do this since our start up concession days?

Not all players we bring in will become great players but the more we can get, the better our chance of building a large list of good players.
Issue we'd have there is retention.

Not many clubs can keep genuine talent in the twos and not leak them to big Vic clubs for unders.

If we actually do trade out a lot of players in their prime, so be it, take the picks and go for it. But personally I don't subscribe to the Laird/Crouches and other rumours going around.

Issue we'd have there is retention.

Not many clubs can keep genuine talent in the twos and not leak them to big Vic clubs for unders.

If we actually do trade out a lot of players in their prime, so be it, take the picks and go for it. But personally I don't subscribe to the Laird/Crouches and other rumours going around.
Retention is always going to be a problem we have (while our SA population is 1/6 or less of Vic's).

Having more talented youth means we'll have better choices of who to try to hang on to.

I like Gould. He's just that in between size where you're not quite sure he'll fit in. Think he'd still be rated highly though. Great kick.

Agree, it’s teams opinions as to whether he is versatile enough to play midfield which will determine his eventual draft position.

If we think he has the qualities necessary to regularly play in the guts, with his size and the ability to play across half back as well, I would pick him up with our first.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to some Sturt high ups today, they reckon 3 of there u18's will get drafted in the national draft, clubs has spoken with those players thoughout the year and then there's another 3 that could go rookie but said unlikey

One of the SA clubs has shown alot of interest in one of them (Shute) the other SA club not intrested he wouldnt say which club didnt want to risk people getting ahead of themselves thinking its a done deal type thing

Edit I meant (Shute) not (Schoenberg)

Last edited:
Spoke to some Sturt high ups today, they reckon 3 of there u18's will get drafted in the national draft, clubs has spoken with those players thoughout the year and then there's another 3 that could go rookie but said unlikey

One of the SA clubs has shown alot of interest in one of them, the other SA club not intrested
And these 3 players are?

Only Sturt kid I'd be interested in this year is Josh Shute and it's no surprise he's the only Sturt kid going to the National combine

Shute was the one spoken about with SA club interest he didnt name the other 2

Schoenberg name came up saying he's underrated and will be good player. I didn't know which club he plays for as it was in the same converstion so assumed it was Sturt, sorry peeps

Some decent performances from some SA draft hopefuls in the 2's today

Josh Shute [Sturt] - 25 disposals - 15 kicks - 10 handballs - 5 marks - 1 tackle - 5 clearances
Harry Schoenberg [WWT] - 24 disposals - 12 kicks - 12 kicks - 3 marks - 6 tackles - 6 clearances - 0.1
Kyasaiah Pickett [WWT] - 16 disposals - 7 kicks - 9 handballs - 2 marks - 6 tackles - 0.2

Retention is always going to be a problem we have (while our SA population is 1/6 or less of Vic's).

Having more talented youth means we'll have better choices of who to try to hang on to.
Talented youth improve in currency which allows the list to continually be upgraded.

[
Talented youth improve in currency which allows the list to continually be upgraded.

Only if they are playing consistent AFL football though, otherwise they get poached for less than they were taken for (in most cases with first/second round picks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back