Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am struggling to see the angst that we will not up our offer to Martin to 700,000 or whatever the dogs are offering.

He has had 6 years and has done
very little. Butler from the Tigers has more runs on the board for what we need in a small forward and will cost half as much salary and problem a quarter as much in a trade.

I know he was the greatest hyped junior but he has not delivered.

Jack Martin isn't, nor ever has been, a small forward.

He can get all that at the Dogs...they are playing finals and a relatively young team. Plus more money...

*were playing finals.

No secret the stuff that happened behind closed doors there the last 2 years. Not a very nice environment. They've cleared some of the main culprits but who knows.

100% agree.

It’s a little controversial, but I actually think there’s some form of subtle unconscious racism going on in regards to aboriginal players.
To often, it is just assumed that they can play that small forward role, when they are clearly not that. SPS suffers from this a little, as well a number of others.

Stereotyping is probably the better term.

These rumours relating to SOS not prepared to renegotiate Jack Martin's contract are starting to alarm me. Wasnt it the same SOS whose offer to Saad was substantially inferior to Essendon steering him their way. You can safely say he stuffed up on those negotiations. I go back to T Mitchell. One of the reasons we weren't into him was his asking price. Another miscalculation?. Not sure but didnt Essendon also outbid us for Devon Smith? Who determines the size of the contract offer, SOS Lloyd or Agresta?

Dirk
Yes and look at Essendon and Dadoro. Permanent midtable due to delusional list management

I am struggling to see the angst that we will not up our offer to Martin to 700,000 or whatever the dogs are offering.

very little. Butler from the Tigers has more runs on the board for what we need in a small forward and will cost half as much salary and problem a quarter as much in a trade.

I know he was the greatest hyped junior but he has not deliver

I know he was the greatest hyped junior but he has not delivered.

Agree. I would rather overpay for Papley who has it in spades than Martin who has potential and proven nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow?
Maybe the reason you don’t see it is because you haven’t watched him? Because that’s the only possible explanation for calling him slow.
Ok I guess I've been lazy with my response. What I should have said, not fast enough to make a big difference or make up for the fact that he is poor in almost every other area.

Ok let’s deflect and focus on an opposition team rebuild. SOS’s decisions don’t warrant scrutiny
yawn - he's had every decision he's ever made in the job investigated with a fine tooth comb - and that's not a comfortable exercise...........

Agree. I would rather overpay for Papley who has it in spades than Martin who has potential and proven nothing
Have you ever compared the two?

Different types of players, so some differences in stats as one would expect, but basically very similar output though it could be argued that Martin has a significantly higher ceiling.

Yes, stereotyping is probably a better term... although stereotyping based on race is inherently racist as well.
He started his career forward and has also played back/mid.

I'd rather see jack Martin in our forward line over Lang, deluca, Kennedy etc.

He is a quality player wherever he plays. I'd be disappointed if we didn't stretch a little with the contract for him.

These rumours relating to SOS not prepared to renegotiate Jack Martin's contract are starting to alarm me. Wasnt it the same SOS whose offer to Saad was substantially inferior to Essendon steering him their way. You can safely say he stuffed up on those negotiations. I go back to T Mitchell. One of the reasons we weren't into him was his asking price. Another miscalculation?. Not sure but didnt Essendon also outbid us for Devon Smith? Who determines the size of the contract offer, SOS Lloyd or Agresta?

Dirk
Why would we get in a bidding war for Jack Martin? Nice player to have, but not worth bending over backwards for.

Same for Saad and Smith. Would have thought it was prudent list management to set a limit on how much you are going to spend on those types, particularly when we have so many good young players who will demand good coin in the future.

If Martin wants to come to us then he will. If he wants money, then he goes the dogs, and that’s also fine.

Some random thoughts, not sure what it all adds up to though;

7 list spots freed up after delistings. More than many people thought.

After cogs, free agents don't look to be on the agenda, especially after the Ellis news.

Not willing to pay more to secure Martin.

Going all out for Papley. 50/50 at best at this stage.

Barass70 says there isn't anyone else being looked at that hasn't been mentioned.

Looking to use this and next year's 1st to secure trades.

Maybe it adds up to crouch, Papley, cameron, butler?

However, we do have 7 spots to fill, and maybe 8 if deluca goes.

Lots to play out
So if we have 7 spots and we are linked to 30 odd players surely SOS can land one of the big names and a couple of good starting 22 players and I’ll be stoked 👍
And I wouldn’t be upset if he threw Dow in the trade with a pick to get Papley

There’s a reason he was the greatest hyped junior, and there’s a reason that he has not delivered, and that reason isn’t because his talent decided to just up and fly away.

Could be every bit as good as Whitfield off a the hb/wing and I think that’s the role we’re recruiting him to play.

Could be a massive piece of our puzzle. People have clearly forgotten just how good his best can be.
Could be every bit as good as Whitfield wow. Apologies for forgetting how well his outstanding games were as a 16 year old? I must admit I did not see those. I generally find a 6 year career is a good sample size of someone’s ceiling.

Continued here:-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back