Review Bulldogs Lose To GWS (113 - 55)

Remove this Banner Ad

So proud of our season. So much to like. Had a crack today but too shallow and raw so we got beaten up. Love this team and think something special is building. We’ll be better for the continuity of this year

Bailey Smith is about the only bloke with genuine campaigner in our team. Couldn’t give a s**t about a small forward, I want a player who can bash a few noggins

Two of the big points of difference between this game and 3 weeks ago were Mumford and Hopper coming in.

In round 22, they had Dawson Simpson in the ruck. He was actually dominant for most of the first half, especially the second quarter where the GWS midfield got on top of us. Then for the whole of the second half, he could barely move and jump. Trengove was pushing him to his physical limits in the stoppages, and easily got on top the longer the game went on, which lead to us smashing them in the middle.

Today they had Mumford who, even if you hate him, is a far better player than Simpson, and was a physical presence in congestion for all 4 quarters. On top of that, Bev dropped Trengove for no good reason, so we were left with poor old Tim as our only good ruckman. Tim had a good game, but he's still skinny, and should never have been given such a difficult solo job in his first final. Schache is a dismal second ruck, and like many of our other players today, no finals experience.

Add in Hopper (30 disposals) to further reinforce GWS's midfield and all of a sudden, the midfield battle from 3 weeks ago has done a complete reversal.

Regardless of the ins/outs, a 120 point reversal is shocking. However, our inexperience across the board should be looked at as a positive.

From my own perspective, it’s damning to me that the 2 players I was least concerned about had excellent games & provided a clear point of difference we couldn’t counter (Finlayson & Daniels).

They played with that intent today because they hate us. And we we clearly hate them. They were out to get us, to prove a point, to atone for the 2016 prelim, to get us back for Bont's hit on Haines three weeks ago...you name it, they had ammo and wanted to knock our collective blocks off. They also played a much younger side with less mature bodies, on their own home ground. Well played.

But watch them sh*t themselves next week.
I agree, they genuinely got up because it’s us. It’s a genuine rivalry. We lost, let’s make sure it ain’t a habit.

It is but can he still do it?

I think his first 6-8 games proved that he can. Understandably he ran out of steam soon after struggled to get near it and then was ruled out for the rest of the year due to injury.

Smith in 2-4 years. Maybe as early as next year.

He does appear to have a fair bit of prick in him for a first year player, but I'd rather see him breaking lines than heads.

Sorry but I disagree with every word of this other than Libba

I know what you are saying but you're missing the point. The players names are not important. Its the fact that we were supposed to be playing a high possession game and basically that responsibility rested on the shoulders of ONLY three players. The rest are flankers posing as mids. We actually missed 3 other guys who could win the hard ball in finals. Bont, Dunks and Macrae shouldered the entire load (cameo from Smith) and never got a chance to run on the outside.

Lipinski, Maclean, Suckling, Dureya, Dale, Lloyd and Hayes were all spectating. Richards probably the only exception.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dissapointing game but a good season.
Macrae,Hunter and Dunkley not firing hurt us,but they're good footballers.
Proud of the boys.

Can't believe there are some harsh comments towards Macrae. Clearly our best with 32 disposals at over 80% efficiency, 7 clearances, 9 tackles, 500 metres gained. Not sure what more he could've done. Can certainly understand the criticism towards Dunkley and Bonti but not Jacko he was playing at 100% until the final siren.

Duryea had an absolute mare.

Stark contrast to the rest of his season

Duryea was my biggest disappointment today

We brought him in and preferred him to Further developing Williams all year, and Duryea has been good but absolutely stunk when it counted

Upside today I thought Richards was OK and West when he got a go down forward looked ok

Kudos to our backs Cordy and Young who kept competing under pressure and I thought Wood was good also

Big preseason ahead in gym for our boys we got beat up in an old fashioned way today

Disappointed in the loss but proud of the boys. Bont is already a superstar and wore some very heavy treatment today which the umpires should have been on to.

Got a final into a lot of young players who will be better for it.

Naughton is a f&($*ing legend - sign him another 5 years now. West has the hardness we need. Morris’ experienced was missed today.

Hold tight brothers and sisters, our future is very bright with this group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bailey Smith is about the only bloke with genuine campaigner in our team. Couldn’t give a s**t about a small forward, I want a player who can bash a few noggins

Go back and watch young West’s efforts today. And Naughton isn’t afraid to let them know it either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Half our team were playing their first final, combined with an average experience of 37 games less per player than the Giants. If we won, it would have taken an even bigger effort than in 2016.

An improved season, a final into the group and hopefully some new faces in the mix during trade period and a strong preseason.

Bring on 2020!

We never had the ball for an extended period of time. In the first half or even in the first 10mins of the 3rd, if we could have kept the ball for 2-3 mins or so, chipping around hawks style, we could have taken a lot of sting out of the game. We just never seemed able to do that. I can hardly recall a switch, or using the direct route. Maybe it was the pressure, nerves, wind or all of the above. Maybe it comes with maturity, but it was still disappointing as we have done it at stages across the past month.

He had 13 touches. Credit to him for battling away and yes he was tagged by probably the best tagger in the comp, but ultimately his inability to overcome it was part of the reason our midfield got smashed. He wouldn't make excuses for it and I don't think we should either.

Mate he got belted all day long....no protection from umps...and that maybe ok given a finals game.....but Bont gave his all and the reason mids got beat was because gws was superior on the day with bigger bodies

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duryea was my biggest disappointment today

We brought him in and preferred him to Further developing Williams all year, and Duryea has been good but absolutely stunk when it counted

Upside today I thought Richards was OK and West when he got a go down forward looked ok

Kudos to our backs Cordy and Young who kept competing under pressure and I thought Wood was good also

Big preseason ahead in gym for our boys we got beat up in an old fashioned way today

The defence was incredible all things considered, 75-odd inside 50’s allowed was by far the most we have conceded all season. Probably Wood’s best game all season, although next year I’d prefer he just be allowed to focus on his game & Bont be made captain

Totally agree with the gym comment, will be a lot better with the likes of Lipinski & Richards being 5kg heavier. Bazlenka with a full pre season will be great as well

How good was it when English took a big contested mark on the wing, then kicked inside 50 where Naughton took a big mark and kicked a goal.

Thoughts our mids would do better. They didn’t, and that was the end of the story.

Really good year. So much progress.

Very positive heading into the off-season.

Bevo's presser showed he was pretty pi**ed off with the attention Bontempelli received.

Good on him. It was crap and it needs to be called out. There’s playing hard which is fine, but he left the ground with blood all over his mouth. Hmm.

How many jumper punches and late hits did they get away with today?

Good on him. It was crap and it needs to be called out. There’s playing hard which is fine, but he left the ground with blood all over his mouth. Hmm.

How many jumper punches and late hits did they get away with today?

Himmelberg getting away with a fine is going to be interesting. All the uproar of Bont after he was in the act of smothering, but a straight up punch to the guts completely off the ball will be considered a lesser incident. Calling it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back