Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Martin would improve in a more attacking team and a better team in general but no way would I be happy to include our first

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hayes and Richards has 17 touches and 3 tackles between them.

Get martin and smith.
17 touches? seem remarkably high. Are they including pre-game warm ups drills in the stats now. Didn't even know Hayes was playing until the 3rd quarter.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Regardless of the Naughton injury, I think this game speaks volumes of our lack of KPF depth.

Anyone who thought the style of game that Schache dishes up was going to be successful in finals are deluded.
I agree without potting Schache. He is what he is but Bruce/another key forward is required. As well as a key defender.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We also need another contested marking forward to stop the ball getting to the deck. Bruce should be a lock, get a future third & fourth coming back to even it up.

Martin would also deliver the ball better and allow us to hit more targets inside fifty. Definitely a must.
Couldn’t agree more. We have a great base of a team and now is the time to add. Bruce would do so much for Naughton, Schache and Dale.

Just don’t get the Martin love. He can’t even make the Suns team why do people think he will miraculously turn it around and become a champ. Waste of a pick and a spot on the list

He was injured, he’s a walk up starter for them. He slots in to our 22 easy

17 touches? seem remarkably high. Are they including pre-game warm ups drills in the stats now. Didn't even know Hayes was playing until the 3rd quarter.
From watching the TV at home I'd agree that he looked out of it but someone said he was tagging Kelly who had very little influence in the first half. Maybe he had to sacrifice his game to keep Kelly out of it? Obviously it all went to custard in the 2nd half and Kelly got about 16 disposals and kicked a few goals.

This is why assessing players based on their stats sheet alone is not a great idea. After all Moz used to feature in our best with only 5-10 possessions.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just don’t get the Martin love. He can’t even make the Suns team why do people think he will miraculously turn it around and become a champ. Waste of a pick and a spot on the list
Not sure it’s true to say he can’t make the Suns team. He didn’t play because he had an injury and is clearly leaving.
The jury is also out on him. He’s living off his draft reputation. There are better judges of a player than me but most in the industry still think he’s a gun. Buy low so I’m in.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope dogs 2nd round pick will be enough for martin. I would give up a first for him but I don't think he's done enough at AFL level in his years to justify it. Not unless we get their 2nd next year back.

From watching the TV at home I'd agree that he looked out of it but someone said he was tagging Kelly who had very little influence in the first half. Maybe he had to sacrifice his game to keep Kelly out of it? Obviously it all went to custard in the 2nd half and Kelly got about 16 disposals and kicked a few goals.

This is why assessing players based on their stats sheet alone is not a great idea. After all Moz used to feature in our best with only 5-10 possessions.

I was at the game. He was so so bad.

I was at the game. He was so so bad.
Really interested in your take on what we need to do this off-season (after your having watched the final live) Fronk. If we are to be bold...what do we do?

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Team really missed Libba. He knows how to handle taggers and would have legally sorted out De Boar.

Trengove was needed to be first ruck against Mumford, English got monstered. IF Grundy is a free agent next year and English can’t get strong enough, we would have to seriously consider Grundy and play English as a ruck forward.

SBI

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Spurs
I don't think Hayes had a very good game, but he wasn't helped out by some of the disposal he was receiving. There were a number of occasions where handballs either went to his feet or behind him, and he got caught as a result.

English tried hard, but I think he's so used to losing ruck taps throughout this year that when he does win them he doesn't know where to hit it. Mumford almost started not jumping at all against him by the end.

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
Today just proves the need for targeting finals type players.

Bruce's style is a tick. Isaac Smith is proven to get the job done in big game, small question on age but for me the only question is a reasonable trade cost. Of what I've seen of Keath, I don't have concerns that he'll deliver.

Martin however - he has the tools, the ceiling/pay off is high, but is the reported $700k worth investing is someone who may not put it together or may go missing in finals? We're recruiting in hope that he'll go up another level, when IMO $700k should be spent on a "confident" buy. 6 years in the system and still a "maybe" doesn't yell out that he'll be delivering on stages like today in 12, 24 or 36 months time.

This is where you appreciate cheaper mature draftees like Dickson - from the day he arrived, the tougher the game, the more he stood up. Even in that poorly functioning forward line in a bottom 4 team under BMac, he would almost singlehandedly keep us in games. And it showed in finals, he stood up, from the Adelaide final in 2015 through to 2016, he always stood up.

That's what I want with any target - strong evidence that will they stand up when in counts; that are they built for finals. Looking a million bucks against bottom 8 teams and going missing when it counts is useless for what we want to build.

Oct 2, 2010
Gate 7, Bay Q26, Row W, S1
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Today just proves the need for targeting finals type players.

Bruce's style is a tick. Isaac Smith is proven to get the job done in finals, the only question is trade cost. Of what I've seen of Keath, I don't have concerns that he'll deliver.

Martin however - he has the tools, the ceiling/pay off is high, but is the reported $700k worth investing is someone who may not put it together or may go missing in finals? We're recruiting in hope that he'll go up another level, when IMO $700k should be spent on a "confident" buy. 6 years in the system and still a "maybe" doesn't yell out that he'll be delivering on stages like today in 12, 24 or 36 months time.

This is where you appreciate cheaper mature draftees like Dickson - from the day he arrived, the tougher the game, the more he stood up. Even in that poorly functioning forward line in a bottom 4 team under BMac, he would almost singlehandedly keep us in games. And it showed in finals, he stood up, from the Adelaide final in 2015 through to 2016, he always stood up.

That's what I want with any target - strong evidence that will they stand up when in counts; that are they built for finals. Looking a million bucks against bottom 8 teams and going missing when it counts is useless for what we want to build.

Unless his body was cooked, it made no sense to not play Dickson today. In his 5 finals games he has kicked 16 goals. Considering the way Hayes played ... hindsight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back