List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do the draft watcher sthink we'll target with late picks?

Wondering if there are any Vandermeer/Lachie Young types in the draft that aren't on the radar for an early pick but just have at least one elite trait that can be developed.

With Trengove spending more time at KPD too I wouldn't be surprised if we consider a ruck/forward (subject to trade week).
Josh D'Intinosante from the Northern Knights would be one I'd consider late as a small goal kicking forward. Reckon he'd just about win the Knights B&F again this year and has a good chance for the Morish Medal.

Assuming 1 possibly 2 trade/FA signings, how many picks in the draft can people realistically see us using this year, taking into account we also have several highly rated kids available next year we need to make room for.

Angus Baker won NEAFL best and fairest, 191cm midfield that avg 30 disposals 14 times in Demons best, tough tackling midfield with great inside and out speed

Could be a good late selection
Angus Baker won the rising star after coming back from an ACL a few years back, good size along with
Tom Highmore from the Canberra Demons both are good enough to be AFL listed. Redlands full forward
Matt Hammelmann backed up his 61 Goals last year with another 66 Goals this year. The MVP was won
by a midfielder from Sydney University fairly skinny kid made the interchange for the team of the year.

Named among his side’s best 14 times from 17 games, Baker averaged 30 disposals, seven marks and five rebound 50s playing off half-back in 2019.
A former Swans Academy member, Baker has made a stunning return from a heart-breaking knee reconstruction in 2017 to realise his full potential.

Last edited:
Angus Baker won the rising star after coming back from an ACL a few years back, good size along with
Tom Highmore from the Canberra Demons both are good enough to be AFL listed. Redlands full forward
Matt Hammelmann backed up his 61 Goals last year with another 66 Goals this year. The MVP was won
by a midfielder from Sydney University fairly skinny kid made the interchange for the team of the year.

Named among his side’s best 14 times from 17 games, Baker averaged 30 disposals, seven marks and five rebound 50s playing off half-back in 2019.
A former Swans Academy member, Baker has made a stunning return from a heart-breaking knee reconstruction in 2017 to realise his full potential.
You've been hot on Hammelmann in the past haven't you Yojimbo? What's the reason he hasn't been snapped up by some club? I know it's only NEAFL which is well below VFL standard but he seems to know where the goals are. Consistently. I'd have thought some club would have taken the punt on him. Similar to the way Podsiadly's form was overlooked or underrated for about 5 years until Geelong took the chance.

I see us drafting 2 and upgrading young
Yep. I wonder if Patrick Kerr could be one of them? We'd be likely to only hold late picks I imagine.

You've been hot on Hammelmann in the past haven't you Yojimbo? What's the reason he hasn't been snapped up by some club? I know it's only NEAFL which is well below VFL standard but he seems to know where the goals are. Consistently. I'd have thought some club would have taken the punt on him. Similar to the way Podsiadly's form was overlooked or underrated for about 5 years until Geelong took the chance.
I've never met him dog-watch( in person) not everyone has the inner drive or belief to belong at AFL level
what I have seen I like in terms of his football. You have to have some drive to kick that many goals for
a team who only won three games for the year. KPP's are booted out well before they are ready many
times and unlike mids and flankers they are only able to play limited positions. Pods was lucky he got
into fitness and was around the group at Geelong it was a simple matter of hey this guy is better than
the guys we have coming through.

dog-watch try to think who in terms of teams who have a spot for a KPF at the moment, not many if any the
old cruel bitch of supply and demand, if Hammelmann has the drive he moves to a VFL club next year
and earns it like Ben Brown did and Pods and Barlow and even Mihocek in a bizarre and random way.

Do people think we'll be using our first round pick in the draft or using it for trade?
There is a huge talent drop after the top 3
So more than likley we should trade it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any update on CCP? Last I heard he was still on the rise / another hard mid already 188 and 85 kilos.

Some have him in the first round so depending on trades and if Gold Coast fool the AFL into thinking a draft pick is the solution / we will have pick 12?

This may get us McAsey but most expect him to go top 10 so maybe not.

So if we will get someone in the 10-15 range who is that likely to be? Generally we would go for best available and there is a very good smallish forward in Sam Flanders or do we go for a tall - there is Josh Worrell around our pick or do we stretch for De Koning? If we go for a tall we want someone with confidence - Naughty has real mongrel which we love.

And then if we match for CCP then we have two in first round - which is great except for the points.

Any update on CCP? Last I heard he was still on the rise / another hard mid already 188 and 85 kilos.

Some have him in the first round so depending on trades and if Gold Coast fool the AFL into thinking a draft pick is the solution / we will have pick 12?

So if we will get someone in the 10-15 range who is that likely to be? Generally we would go for best available and there is a very good smallish forward in Sam Flanders or do we go for a tall - there is Josh Worrell around our pick or do we stretch for De Koning? If we go for a tall we want someone with confidence - Naughty has real mongrel which we love.

And then if we match for CCP then we have two in first round - which is great except for the points.
CCP likely a late/rookie pick

Flanders will be gone by our pick. He’s at the top end of that second tier of players with Young, Kemp, Serong and Ash.

De Koning is a good chance of sliding to our second IMO and I’d be very happy to take he or Hilder there, however I’ll be surprised if any of our current draft hand is the same by the time the draft comes so hard to say at the moment.

If we upgrade Young to the senior list
Two mature age players i would look at is Rebuen William and Bior Malual from Werribee

Has had a great season developing and with a full time environment could be a great steal in the draft

Two mature age players i would look at is Rebuen William and Bior Malual from Werribee

Has had a great season developing and with a full time environment could be a great steal in the draft
We've seen a bit of Reuben, but can you tell us a bit about Bior Malual? What sort of player, how old and what makes you think he'd be a good acquisition?

Am I correct in saying that Reuben William got moved forward later in the season and was pretty good?

Could he be a cheap way of getting in a small pressure forward? Or is he more suited to a medium marking role like Gowers?
He's a bit of a mixture, quick enough to apply pressure and tough enough to take contested marking

has an elite tank

Remove this Banner Ad

Back