Game Day GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs, Finals Week 1 - 15:20 AEST, Sep 07, 2019

Who will win GWS v WB?

• GWS Giants <10

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • GWS Giants 10+ to <30

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • GWS Giants 30+

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Bulldogs <10

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Bulldogs 10+ to <30

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Bulldogs 30+

Votes: 12 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Their opponent wasn't. At that stage they roll the Dogs they likely get Essendon first week.

Exactly, a team that had beaten them during the season, and had got a few of their injured players back in the side since they'd beaten GWS. Switching off at half time meant that they made sure a team that they had been thumped by twice didn't play finals, and they also avoided playing another team in week one that had also beaten them recently. Sure, they had form for not scoring in the second half, but they were actually winning at that point unlike when they were scoreless in the second half against Hawthorn where they had struggled to score all day. GWS had got to 57 at half time against dogs, on track for 110+, and then just stopped. Given what happened today it is easy to believe they made some strategic decisions that day. Either way, it has worked out well for them.

Exactly, a team that had beaten them during the season, and had got a few of their injured players back in the side since they'd beaten GWS. Switching off at half time meant that they made sure a team that they had been thumped by twice didn't play finals, and they also avoided playing another team in week one that had also beaten them recently. Sure, they had form for not scoring in the second half, but they were actually winning at that point unlike when they were scoreless in the second half against Hawthorn where they had struggled to score all day. GWS had got to 57 at half time against dogs, on track for 110+, and then just stopped. Given what happened today it is easy to believe they made some strategic decisions that day. Either way, it has worked out well for them.
Yes it's much easier to believe GWS put the cue in the rack at half time to avoid playing Essendon week 1 then it is to believe your original premise was bullshit.

Yes it's much easier to believe GWS put the cue in the rack at half time to avoid playing Essendon week 1 then it is to believe your original premise was bulls**t.

My original premise was that Hawthorn would probably have put up better fights against either Eagles or GWS than Essendon and Dogs managed. You can call that bullshit if you like. Looks like a reasonable premise to me given how bad Dogs and Essendon were, and how good Hawthorn were in their recent games against those teams. Not saying we'd have definitely won, but that wasn't my premise. Expecting a closer contest is a completely reasonable premise.

GWS were very good. Right on the edge with their unsociable football for nearly the whole game. Play like that for ththe rest of the finals and they will be hard to stop.

If the dogs were actually any good they would of beaten gold Coast and finished higher then 7th.
Glad I don't have to listen to the media keep talking up these pretenders.

The inequity of the draw had exposed this final series. There are teams in the finals that just don't deserve to be there.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Inequity of the draw? U wot m8. Look at who we played twice. Losing to teams below us is what had us in 7th.

My original premise was that Hawthorn would probably have put up better fights against either Eagles or GWS than Essendon and Dogs managed. You can call that bulls**t if you like. Looks like a reasonable premise to me given how bad Dogs and Essendon were, and how good Hawthorn were in their recent games against those teams. Not saying we'd have definitely won, but that wasn't my premise. Expecting a closer contest is a completely reasonable premise.
I wouldn't say that is true.

Dogs were 1 of the main form teams. Whose to say Hawthorn wouldn't have lost their momentom with the bye as well..

Dogs were 1 of the main form teams. Whose to say Hawthorn wouldn't have lost their momentom with the bye as well..

Hawks, Bombers, Bulldogs were just in that 7-9 range for a reason. The media likes to pump up teams in form, win a few they're suddenly a big chance, but they rarely actually give a yelp if they sneak in. Bulldogs 2016 had a record that would've had them finishing top 4 most seasons, and indeed were top 4 much of the year. Hawthorn played some good games but anyone who thinks they're a contender is dreaming. Looking back, I think many - myself included - overrated the Bulldogs on form. Sustaining great form and turning up when it matters seems to separate the contenders from the pretenders. Having said that the Giants were incredible. They can beat Brisbane and Collingwood.

There was a comment in an article made that there was lots of pressure on Woosha and the Dons about performance, expectations, and where they finished, again not winning a final.
The article asked, “Why aren’t the bulldogs and bevo under the same scrutiny?”
It’s a great point given their recent premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great performance yesterday. Reminds people what we can be capable of when we get something close to our full complement of players on the park... which we haven’t had for about 3 years.
To send the dogs packing after so many bussed it up, and being talked up so much, makes it even sweeter.
Sad to see Lids go out that way, but kind of good to see Tomlinson get a crack at it again.
Up to the Gabba to give it another crack. Let’s see what happens.

Intensity, presence, composure.

Should give the lions a run for their money next Saturday.

You're forgetting the most important part of his argument.

But Hawthorn!!!

It was a great win. Dogs came back hard but that insurrection was swiftly dealt with by Giants reverting to their hard and aggressive inside game. I also noticed Giants players moving early to the dogs receivers, not chasing tails, and neutralising their ball movement. The other obvious thing was the intimidation factor. They bullied and targeted the Dogs who couldn't handle it at all.

Giants are alive, and with a near full list to choose from, who knows.

I enjoyed the game personally, from the moment last week I heard Bev and EWood talk about being able to win the flag, I thought, I hope you blokes get the arrogance knocked out of you, and they did.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lots of love for a bloke that dumped his mates and club, to try and score a cheap flag with a group of android draft picks he had no connection to.

I really don’t get why he should be pitied?
Dumped his mates and club? What is it 1965 and Barassi's just left Melbourne to go to Carlton? I mean how many players in the AFL have moved clubs for more opportunity, money, whatever? Probably it would be pushing 100.

Dogs is a bit more contentious, but Essendon's record against GWS and Eagles for the year was a 72 point loss, 35 point loss, 55 points loss and 6 point win.
Dogs record against those teams was a 61 point loss, 58 point loss and 61 point win, and the win was a dead rubber for GWS that GWS had very little incentive to win.

Hawthorn's record against Eagles and GWS for the year was a 33 point win, 56 point win, 38 point win and 6 point loss.

Sure, we could have lost momentum, but 9th placed Hawthorn were considerably better against the 5th and 6th sides than 7th and 8th were over the entire year, so it seems reasonable to have an opinion that 9th may have put up more of a competitive effort against 5th or 6th than what we saw happen on the weekend.

Dogs is a bit more contentious, but Essendon's record against GWS and Eagles for the year was a 72 point loss, 35 point loss, 55 points loss and 6 point win.
Dogs record against those teams was a 61 point loss, 58 point loss and 61 point win, and the win was a dead rubber for GWS that GWS had very little incentive to win.

Hawthorn's record against Eagles and GWS for the year was a 33 point win, 56 point win, 38 point win and 6 point loss.

Sure, we could have lost momentum, but 9th placed Hawthorn were considerably better against the 5th and 6th sides than 7th and 8th were over the entire year, so it seems reasonable to have an opinion that 9th may have put up more of a competitive effort against 5th or 6th than what we saw happen on the weekend.
The 2nd game against the Giants was in the snow with a lot of talent on the injury list.

Hardly a good indicator.

The 2nd game against the Giants was in the snow with a lot of talent on the injury list.

Hardly a good indicator.

You'd have a point except it went down pretty much exactly the same way the first game did. I don't remember seeing any snow on the MCG during the first game? GWS always have a lot of talent on their injury list. If that wasn't the case they'd probably have been a good chance of going for a 4-peat this year.

Giamts were bloody sensational. Their defensive work was fantastic all day, they pressured the Dogs into mistakes all day and their tackling was excellemt.
Whitfield gave them run and great ball use throughout, thought Hopper was fantastic at the contest.
Mummy had much more influence than I would have thought going in.
The real star was Tubsy Greene.Clutch goals and clever isage, big tackles, a heap of niggle, some almost but not quite screamers, giving away the odd free.
They cop a lot of rubbish about not performing in finals and get painted as some soulless club, but they have never had the luck other teams have had with injuries late in the year and their retention has generally been pretty could despite Vic clubs waving the chequebook around every season.
Nothing against the Dogs, but rapt for the Giants, they had all the Dogs' stars in check and could have won by more.

There was a comment in an article made that there was lots of pressure on Woosha and the Dons about performance, expectations, and where they finished, again not winning a final.
The article asked, “Why aren’t the bulldogs and bevo under the same scrutiny?”
It’s a great point given their recent premiership.
Err...because of their recent premiership?

Sorry but there’s a lot of projection in this post. If you’d lost badly your coach would have been given the Tijuana because your lot has underperformed.

Fair play to the Giants, and Leon who I like. They won fair and square. The reality is though that Bevo delivered when his chance presented then fronted up this year with the youngest finals side. He has credits in the bank and time on his side.

Back