Discussion Finals Series 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Geelong are denying there was a handshake agreement. Do they think we're idiots or did the AFL lack a backbone last night to enforce the status quo of recent years? Seems more and more likely that Geelong were using navy shorts to make a stand and protest the MCG home final to the detriment of their fans and the broader footy supporter.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Geelong are denying there was a handshake agreement. Do they think we're idiots or did the AFL lack a backbone last night to enforce the status quo of recent years? Seems more and more likely that Geelong were using navy shorts to make a stand and protest the MCG home final to the detriment of their fans and the broader footy supporter.

Yeh but geelong have been wearing blue shorts for all home games this year. So it’s up to Collingwood to provide a contrast.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Yeh but geelong have been wearing blue shorts for all home games this year. So it’s up to Collingwood to provide a contrast.
It's up to the AFL to direct what both clubs to wear and this year they have failed dismally. By the way, Collingwood have been directed to wear white shorts in "home" finals in the past and haven't had an issue with it. Common sense should have prevailed over Chris Scott's pathetic attempt at gaining a psychological advantage.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
That argument only makes sense if you ignore every single geelong home game that has taken place this year. Seriously, keep up.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
That argument only makes sense if you ignore every single geelong home game that has taken place this year. Seriously, keep up.

What do you suggest Collingwood wear then? Do you think they were notified about this new directive from Geelong before the start of the season? If not, how can they possibly accomodate?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
So what? The AFL directed them to wear white shorts against Carlton and they should have done the same thing last night.
This is true, but a one-off jumper allows a one-off application of common sense! The late change of jumper distracted the powers that be from keeping their brains switched off.

Confirms my thoughts that it was a pissing contest by Geelong about the match being their "home" game.

aCunningPlan you state my argument doesn't make sense, yet your reason only serves to support my comments - the cats obviously wanted blue shorts (a change from the previous status quo) and the AFL obviously didn't direct them otherwise. We'll never know if Geelong would have been more inclined to wear white shorts had they got their way and forced 50K to miss attending the game, so it doesn't really matter what happened during the rest of the year.

It's clear common sense should have prevailed though for the sake of the greater spectacle.

Last edited:
The AFL seem to prefer them wearing home in finals, even if they normally wear clash during the year away against that team.
I know that. It’s just gonna look horrible. Thank god the white shorts go to the team that already has white on the jumper.

ShaunWCEFC

All Australian
Jan 22, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Lions wore full home vs Giants home with white shorts in Sydney this year.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I've long felt that we'd be better served with a "no hoops/stripes vs hoops/stripes" rule - that is, if both teams have hoops/stripes with one mutual colour, the away team wears a clash jumper that is not full hoops/stripes (Geelong/North/Collingwood - and hypothetically, if Gold Coast were to have a red jumper with yellow hoops, they and Hawthorn would follow under the same rules).
However, right now, I'll advocate to at least go back to where we were last year.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could anyone mock up an image of Collingwood black pinstripe with only the pinstripes? I mean no solid black stripes, just the pinstripes in the place that they currently are. I think it would be a pretty class look and would work perfectly against Geelong, and could probably be used against North as well.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Collingwood need a proper alternate strip
We do. You can purchase one from the Collingwood shop for $120 if you'd like :)

A bit more on the jumper clash by Eddie.
He references a game in which Collingwood wore the exact matchup we saw Friday night 18-odd years ago, I think this was the match in question:

a7b0c7f4adc1b4598986dd50d4015d1d

He states this as a contributing factor to the inception of the black-based jumper.

Safe to say it makes a lot of sense for this gentleman's agreement to come into effect. Apparently, according to Eddie, it was Costa that approach him about this, not the other way around believe it or not.

Eddie's said he's spoken to Steve Hocking and at the end of the year sort "it" out. Given the context of him talking about the AFL's inability to get these clashes right, I believe he may be talking about the creation of an actual clash policy? Hopefully.

It seems that not one of the experts at Fox Footy or even Eddie know who designates the jumpers in finals and when anyone finds out. Has me thinking of a classic AFL stuff up by ticking off on Geelong requesting to wear dark shorts (which there is nothing wrong with), they just have to use common sense.

Additionally, Collingwood "White Back" is further confirmed as a "third jumper". Not sure if there are any other games where we'd wear it.

Last edited:
Back