Game Day World Cup BBall

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
IF they're all keen. Remember they had a loaded lineup at the Rio Olympics and would've been toast but for the unstoppable brilliance of Carmelo Anthony.

Agents and NBA front office's don't see the FIBA WC in the same light the rest of the world does. The Olympics is another matter entirely. Ben's new max contract combined with a non existent jump shot pretty much sealed his fate this time around.

Are other countries also fielding underpowered lineups due to players sitting it out TT?

True but if they get beaten here (looks very likely) they will want to make a statement at the Olympics.

The Europeans know zone defences hurt the yanks, as most offences revolve around on-balls in the NBA but with Curry on one wing and Thompson on the other they will just shoot straight over the zone or create holes around the elbow area by stretching the defensive guards, leaving Durrant & co to hit wide open elbow jump shots.

I just think the yanks ridiculous range will cause headaches this time around.

Durrant will be coming off a full season out due to the ruptured Achilles and I have major doubts on the biggest names being willing to play two straight years of b’ball without a rest. Harden would be unstoppable, and Steph would be Steph, but they’d need role players in the current world b’ball environment and also need to find more efficient ways to combat zone defences, greater physicality, and tighter calls on travelling etc.

I’d love to see their best lineup as a test case for us, Serbia, France etc, but said stars have to weight up the risks versus rewards.

Last edited:
Also, how good is Speed as a commentator?! The bloke is so talented and versatile, he could call paint drying.

Agreed. And then what do they go and do? Replace him with *ing Derwayne.

Need to play much better than that if we want a medal.

Float too much in and out of games this tourney. Will get punished by the better teams if we can't play a consistent 4 quarters.

Wouldn't be thinking about medals at all right now. A bit of a shame since we're unbeaten at present, but if we lose to France on Monday, it may be all for naught anyway since I think we will then have to play the U.S.

France's team is rather similar to ours in terms of NBA (& ex-NBA) representation.

At least we’re confirmed through to the QF’s. Anything can happen from there. I tend to agree with Heal that we tend to rise or sink to the level of our opponents. Baynes being in foul trouble hurt and we tend to have some trouble with the tall athletic lineups . Bring on the Frogs !

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
At least we’re confirmed through to the QF’s. Anything can happen from there. I tend to agree with Heal that we tend to rise or sink to the level of our opponents. Baynes being in foul trouble hurt and we tend to have some trouble with the tall athletic lineups . Bring on the Frogs !

Yep agree that we just do enough to win and lift when we play better teams.

There’s real unity in this squad

The Spaniards rolled Serbia tonight. A reminder that there are a few teams capable of winning the whole thing on their day.
Absolutely. Still think Serbia are the team to beat but had a flutter on Spain pre tournament, they always play the internationals well. They play with a style so suited to international play.....and Gasol's are lab designed to play this style. Just hope for my $10 bet they haven't played their hand!

Back