Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Knightmare has strong opinions and while Walsh has had an outstanding year there are no guarantees he will be the best player in the draft. He rated Lukosius as the best junior he had ever seen and any decision not to take him as a massive mistake. It is his opinion and doesn't have to apologise for it. It is not one I agree with but can't we just let people ( Kane Corners included) have their opinions without being outraged they are different to ours? Don't like his opinions then don't ask him questions.

He was big enough to admit he was wrong on CC and HMcK 3 year after he panned our drafting in 2015.
Lol. Kane Cornes included. Have a laugh. The guy spent Friday night writing back handed compliments for Walsh comparing him to Lewis Taylor. The guy’s doesn’t actually have an opinion. He writes click-bait pieces deliberately for the reaction. Negative media is still media. That’s his only opinion. IMO he’s a flog.

On archi. No way can you bring him down with his limited exposure in the system so far. Comparing him to a failed forward and at best will be tagger. lol. That’s just bull s**t. After calling him out on the limited experience he has in the game so far he has pulled back slightly because he didn’t even know. Which means his opinion is only based on limited viewing of his stature so far without delving into his history in the U18 program. As a carlton father son I understand he wouldn’t give two shits about checking his facts.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Knightmare has strong opinions and while Walsh has had an outstanding year there are no guarantees he will be the best player in the draft. He rated Lukosius as the best junior he had ever seen and any decision not to take him as a massive mistake. It is his opinion and doesn't have to apologise for it. It is not one I agree with but can't we just let people ( Kane Corners included) have their opinions without being outraged they are different to ours? Don't like his opinions then don't ask him questions.

He was big enough to admit he was wrong on CC and HMcK 3 year after he panned our drafting in 2015.

I too think Lukosius will be the best player in that draft and Smith the best mid sized player

But to call the selection of Walsh ahead of either of those 2 boys, as a mistake is just so wrong

Walsh was the best "bust proof" 18 year old I have seen in over 2 decades, he will have a long successful career, that in itself warrants a pick 1 selection

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I too think Lukosius will be the best player in that draft and Smith the best mid sized player

But to call the selection of Walsh ahead of either of those 2 boys, as a mistake is just so wrong

Walsh was the best "bust proof" 18 year old I have seen in over 2 decades, he will have a long successful career, that in itself warrants a pick 1 selection
That is the whole point. It is his opinion. We don't have to agree with it. If the only reason to take Walsh number 1 is because he was more bust proof than players we think will (not could)be better, then I would say then it was a mistake.

FWIW I don't think this the case and I was taking Walsh no1 every time off my limited draft watching.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
That is the whole point. It is his opinion. We don't have to agree with it. If the only reason to take Walsh number 1 is because he was more bust proof than players we think will (not could)be better, then I would say then it was a mistake.

FWIW I don't think this the case and I was taking Walsh no1 every time off my limited draft watching.

Have always said it is impossible to pick the best player at every pick, it is a bonus if you do and if a recruiter has a better than 60% strike rate, then they are in the top bracket of identifiers. Personally, what is more important is reducing your bust. I think there are only 3 players left in the system, from our drafting between 2007 - 2014, staggering really

Canyouhearthedrums

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
One would have though that Sam Walsh talent was fairly obvious even to the most obtuse and stubborn critic.
I’m looking forward to the next couple of years as Sam just rips it up, one of the best youngsters we seen for over a decade.

That’s the rub. The actual professional recruiters had him unanimously no 1. Easy to stick your neck out when you’re an amateur masquerading as a pro but boy can you look ridiculous.

Pafloyul

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2004
Somewhere else
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Have always said it is impossible to pick the best player at every pick, it is a bonus if you do and if a recruiter has a better than 60% strike rate, then they are in the top bracket of identifiers. Personally, what is more important is reducing your bust. I think there are only 3 players left in the system, from our drafting between 2007 - 2014, staggering really
And some of those busts were busts precisely because we thought they were the surest bet. This is not the case with Walsh, for obvious reasons, but the lower you go in the draft, it's a case of diminishing returns, might as well go for the guy with a bit of 'upside'. I think in the Hughes/Rogers era we sometimes reached with our first and last pick but took the 'safe' option, who every other club rejected, in the bulk of the draft. Remember all those 'steals' we drafted?

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think we need to be taking bust proof selections, we just shouldn't be swinging for the fences taking a couple of highlights and projecting what a player could be like. Bootsma, Hampson, Boekhurst great examples of this.

Pafloyul

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2004
Somewhere else
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I don't think we need to be taking bust proof selections, we just shouldn't be swinging for the fences taking a couple of highlights and projecting what a player could be like. Bootsma, Hampson, Boekhurst great examples of this.
I don't know; Hampson was the only one of those three that screamed out to be taken as a project with high potential, yet he was still too much of a reach at pick 17. We should have went with Kurt Tippet, at least he was good for a few years. The other two you mentioned should have just taken an interview or two to sort out just how high to draft them, if at all.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
A summary of Archi's game today:
1st Quarter: poor positioning meant he didn't get to dangerous positions or become an option for his teammates. A poor forward structure for the Jets wasn't helping.

2nd Quarter: the ball hardly found its way inside the Jets F50. Late in the quarter Archi took a good mark about 15m from goal. He proceeded to walk back to the 50m line, strolled into about 35 from goal, had a quick skip (ala Josh Kennedy), stabbed at the ball & kicked it out of bounds on the full, the ball barely carrying the boundary line.

3rd Quarter: positioning was much better, involved in a number of marking contests but couldn't quite clunk them. A nice smother resulted in a quick snap for goal which missed to the left.

4th Quarter: took a nice contested mark out on the Gardiner Stand wing. Took a further mark about 30m out, directly in front of goal. As he was walking in to kick for goal I noticed his left arm was a fair bit higher than his right arm as he was holding onto the ball, not unlike Fev, but the ball drop reflected this unorthodox technique, resulting in the kick missing to the left. Got a free kick in the goal square for high contact & pretty well played on as soon as he got the ball in hand. Clearly his previous missed shots on goal had knocked his confidence. He did kick the goal, so all good. Very late in the quarter he kicked a nice soccer goal.

2.2 & one out of bounds on the full was the sum total of Archi's work, both goals coming in the last quarter when the game was done & dusted. I have noticed in a lot of games this season his goals seem to come late in the game. I'm not sure this actually means anything, but is a definite trend.

One thing I will say that Archi has going for him is that when he gets his body in front his opponent has a hard time shifting him, or spoiling the ball.

Having only changed back to footy this year, I'm of the belief that Archi would probably benefit from another season in the NAB League as an over-age player, or perhaps a spot on the Northern Blues' supplementary list as was the case this year with his brother Oskar & Kye Quirk.

Navy_Blueblood

All Australian
Jul 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
1st Quarter: poor positioning meant he didn't get to dangerous positions or become an option for his teammates. A poor forward structure for the Jets wasn't helping.

2nd Quarter: the ball hardly found its way inside the Jets F50. Late in the quarter Archi took a good mark about 15m from goal. He proceeded to walk back to the 50m line, strolled into about 35 from goal, had a quick skip (ala Josh Kennedy), stabbed at the ball & kicked it out of bounds on the full, the ball barely carrying the boundary line.

3rd Quarter: positioning was much better, involved in a number of marking contests but couldn't quite clunk them. A nice smother resulted in a quick snap for goal which missed to the left.

4th Quarter: took a nice contested mark out on the Gardiner Stand wing. Took a further mark about 30m out, directly in front of goal. As he was walking in to kick for goal I noticed his left arm was a fair bit higher than his right arm as he was holding onto the ball, not unlike Fev, but the ball drop reflected this unorthodox technique, resulting in the kick missing to the left. Got a free kick in the goal square for high contact & pretty well played on as soon as he got the ball in hand. Clearly his previous missed shots on goal had knocked his confidence. He did kick the goal, so all good. Very late in the quarter he kicked a nice soccer goal.

2.2 & one out of bounds on the full was the sum total of Archi's work, both goals coming in the last quarter when the game was done & dusted. I have noticed in a lot of games this season his goals seem to come late in the game. I'm not sure this actually means anything, but is a definite trend.

One thing I will say that Archi has going for him is that when he gets his body in front his opponent has a hard time shifting him, or spoiling the ball.

Having only changed back to footy this year, I'm of the belief that Archi would probably benefit from another season in the NAB League as an over-age player, or perhaps a spot on the Northern Blues' supplementary list as was the case this year with his brother Oskar & Kye Quirk.
Thanks for the report! Just wish the news was more positive

Feb 8, 2012
Publican Baghdad Ritz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

Great analysis MSR ! Probably the best going round.

Back